ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-13-12, 10:18 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Tell me What to Say and What Not to Say

I'm looking to start my own business. As I tell people this, I notice telling them what I can do for them. While I'm OK with giving them a snippet, I'm not OK with giving away secrets and what sets me apart from others. I cannot be telling people things they can, in turn, do themselves.

What do I tell potential clients? I need a plan. I have to tell them some things, but I can't give away my knowledge and talent without making money.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 06-13-12, 10:21 AM
ADDvanced Member

hjajck is on a distinguished road
Re: Tell me What to Say and What Not to Say

What is your business?
anonymouslyadd (06-13-12)
Old 06-13-12, 11:15 AM
Moderator of all seasons

anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjajck View Post
What is your business?
Well, I know I was vague in my OP. It will be in communications and marketing. I will help clients get media attention and sales.

I'm absolutely floored by the reception I've received from my ideas. I'm rarely shot down.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
Turbochica (06-18-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-12, 12:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,938 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Focus on their objectives and how you can fulfill them. That leaves out a blanket statement and rather individualizes it. Chances are there will be a repertoire of fairly usual things people will hope for, and you can then tailor your responses to that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (06-13-12), Turbochica (06-18-12)
Old 06-13-12, 01:04 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

Are you looking for what to say to them now when they ask what you're going into business doing, or what to say to get their business? I'm confused. If it was obvious, just ignore me, lol... it's been that kinda day.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-12, 01:09 PM
Contributor

tortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nice

I think what would be good is to give them a "hook". Give them the beginning of a plan that sounds like it would work great and that they would be willing to pay for it, then just do a 3)??????? 4) Profit!!!!! type thing.

I can imagine that your solution isn't one size fits all so I doubt you can get yourself a script, but just try and find one thing that you know that is really interesting and exciting, and use that to talk to your potential clients. Don't give them the whole story and process, just one part of the puzzle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortilaman For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (06-13-12), Turbochica (06-18-12)
Old 06-13-12, 01:24 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by silivrentoliel View Post
Are you looking for what to say to them now when they ask what you're going into business doing, or what to say to get their business? I'm confused. If it was obvious, just ignore me, lol... it's been that kinda day.
I know I was not completely clear.

I'm looking for what to say to get their business. For instance, "you need to hire me because I can do..."

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
Turbochica (06-18-12)
Old 06-13-12, 01:30 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

well, specific to what your business is, can you give them a pitch for what you offer them that no one else can.

That sounds totally unhelpful, but there ya go

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-12, 04:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

hjajck is on a distinguished road

I would use the somewhat the same approach as you would accomplishments in a resume. You are basically doing the same thing, only in a different format.

An example, (not specific to you) would be: Increased sales by 95%, saving company x $10,000 a year. Or tell them how you can save them time/money and WHY you can do what they can't. Even if they can do it, they might not want to hassle with it.

For instance, I would gladly pay someone to set up my computer and clean my toilet. Yes, I *can* do those things, but if someone came along with the right price, skills, and an offer I couldn't refuse, I would gladly pay them for it. And, if they told me *why* they can do it better, and had testimonials, or were referred by a friend, that would be the hook, line, and sinker.

Is your marketing traditional, or online? Are you trying to help with branding? You could also offer free tips to help with what they need, but save the "big ticket" items for paying clients.

None of this may be helpful since I don't know exactly what you need, but hopefully it might spark some ideas.
Old 06-13-12, 07:08 PM

Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,333 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

Why don't you give me all the details of your plan and I'll see if I can help.
The Following User Says Thank You to CheekyMonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-12, 02:14 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,303 Times in 8,615 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

You need to know what they want and give that to them. Furthermore they need to know that you have what they need.

And also think about how you want to be different from the competition? What are your defining qualities? What defining qualities do your clients look for?
anonymouslyadd (06-14-12)
Old 06-14-12, 02:20 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by silivrentoliel View Post
well, specific to what your business is, can you give them a pitch for what you offer them that no one else can.

That sounds totally unhelpful, but there ya go
Certainly, I'll have to give them something to base their decision to hire me.

An old company described what they did by using a very general term. They did not go into the type of program used, writing style, writing issues, etc. They left the details of "how" they accomplished things out of the public eye.

~Paulo Coelho
Old 06-18-12, 03:25 PM
Moderator of all seasons

What do I tell potential customers to make sure they're aware of myself business and plans to help them?! I don't have my business official yet, but I want to let them know that I'm making progress.

Right now, I'm waiting on lawyers to move forward. Do I tell a future client that or do I say I'm going to have my business up soon?

~Paulo Coelho
Old 06-18-12, 10:23 PM

Thanked 3,558 Times in 2,136 Posts
Turbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond repute

i read this quickly but I would learn as much as you can about their business and goals then provide the hook to let them know some of what you would do for them based on it what goal would they want to go for first would be nice to know.

my first take on that

Fyodor Dostoevsky

The Following User Says Thank You to Turbochica For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (06-19-12)
Old 06-18-12, 11:31 PM

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a myth that you shouldn't "give away" your time.

There are no truly revolutionary ideas. There are only truly revolutionary executions.

In my experience (and who am I to say, but this is my actual experience) you want to pay it forward. If your potential clients wanted to do what you propose to do for them, they'd already be doing it. They want someone else to do those things. So you tell them your plan and then give them helpful (free) advice tailored to what little you know of their specific needs.

For every four or five people that you do that to, you'll get one new client. The others will also register that you know what you're talking about.

I give away hours and hours of free "advice," primarily to other lawyers who are not familiar with my practice areas. I also have more work than I can do, and I built that client base in the span of just about six months.

It can be done, but the first step is thinking about what your potential clients need, and what would motivate YOU to go pay you to do what you do? Is it a list of services without any real substance? Or is it genuine, tailored "tastes" of what you have to offer?

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (06-19-12), RedHairedWitch (06-19-12), spunkysmum (06-19-12)