ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-19-12, 12:31 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tell me What to Say and What Not to Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy4957 View Post
It's a myth that you shouldn't "give away" your time.

There are no truly revolutionary ideas. There are only truly revolutionary executions.
I have amazing ideas. I might have to disagree with you on that one. Sandy, I watched my supervisor look dumbfounded at why she never thought of one of my marketing ideas.

It's my ideas that I'm concerned about protecting. At my internship, they wanted me to keep a log of "best practices." I finally realized that they were going to use that to better what they do. Yet, I would not have a job with them when I was done. That was ********.
Quote:
In my experience (and who am I to say, but this is my actual experience) you want to pay it forward. If your potential clients wanted to do what you propose to do for them, they'd already be doing it. They want someone else to do those things. So you tell them your plan and then give them helpful (free) advice tailored to what little you know of their specific needs.
Well, I don't have a problem telling them that I use angles and creative ideas to get publicity. I don't want to tell them more specific stuff. The old company I worked for told me not to get into specifics about how or what we do. They said that we could talk about the angles we planned using. That's it.

With my work, I will be doing some consulting that's for sure.
Quote:
I give away hours and hours of free "advice," primarily to other lawyers who are not familiar with my practice areas. I also have more work than I can do, and I built that client base in the span of just about six months.
So you're saying those lawyers helped you out in building your client base? What did you have to lose though? You weren't competing with them.
Quote:
It can be done, but the first step is thinking about what your potential clients need, and what would motivate YOU to go pay you to do what you do? Is it a list of services without any real substance? Or is it genuine, tailored "tastes" of what you have to offer?
I see. Very good.

~Paulo Coelho