ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-14-12, 09:41 PM
Forum ADDvocate

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all
Finding your passion

Do you think its possible to find your passion in a career or calling? I'm wondering if its possible to look forward to every day instead of dreading it
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PookDo For This Useful Post:
addcolin (06-16-12), anonymouslyadd (06-15-12), CheekyMonkey (06-17-12), full_throttle (06-15-12), Unmanagable (06-14-12)
Old 06-14-12, 09:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,493 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finding your passion

I think it is possible.

The problem with those of us who have ADHD is that often we can find too many passions and not be able to maintain them all.
addcolin (06-16-12), aquariu32 (06-14-12), demuregeek (06-15-12), PookDo (06-14-12)
Old 06-14-12, 10:02 PM
Forum ADDvocate

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkysmum View Post
I think it is possible.

The problem with those of us who have ADHD is that often we can find too many passions and not be able to maintain them all.
Very true. Or we focus on the wrong things instead of those that would make us happy
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-12, 10:18 PM

spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Even going by what I'm good at doesn't help narrow things down for me. I am apparently good at a lot of things but that doesn't mean I want to do them all for a living.
Old 06-14-12, 10:21 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkysmum View Post
Even going by what I'm good at doesn't help narrow things down for me. I am apparently good at a lot of things but that doesn't mean I want to do them all for a living.
I'm learning that just because your good at something doesn't mean it would be a great career. I learned that the hard way.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PookDo For This Useful Post:
addcolin (06-16-12), full_throttle (06-15-12), spunkysmum (06-14-12), tortilaman (06-15-12)
Old 06-14-12, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookDo View Post
I'm learning that just because your good at something doesn't mean it would be a great career. I learned that the hard way.
Yep. That's why a person could almost envy people who are just super-good at one thing and can do that thing happily for a living. It would take away the guesswork that's for sure.

This is what I love - when somebody says to you "you're so good and such-and-such - would you do it?' just to get themselves out of it.

There ARE some people who actually are lazy, LOL.
Old 06-14-12, 10:43 PM
Forum Guru

MX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud of

As a byproduct of my ADD/HD, I jumped from job to job to job to job often doing things I liked, from washing cars to selling books, it was all an adventure. I was lucky I did find a few jobs I really loved.

Look at what you spend time on, look at what catches your attention, look at how you feel when you do something, if someone says they need help on a project -- offer your help, explore interests you would not normally consider like knitting or something...
The Following User Says Thank You to MX2012 For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (06-14-12)
Old 06-14-12, 11:02 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,793 Times in 8,904 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Speaking personally, I think it's very possible, but there's definitely not a lot of money involved when you're getting started. Luckily, I'm not the sole provider or main bread winner in the household. That's the main reason I allowed myself to even entertain the thought.

I fought with my mind for about 4-5 years trying to convince myself of all the reasons that I absolutely had to remain in the increasingly miserable, "secure", salaried position and just "make the best of it". But all the while, I knew I had to get out of that toxic environment.

My heart finally kicked my mind's a** and, with my family's support, I walked away from it after 13 years. My pursuits may fail miserably, and I may never receive a large monetary gain from any of them, but my peace of mind is priceless, and I'll take all of that I can get. I feel happier and healthier than I have in years.....usually.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
addcolin (06-16-12), full_throttle (06-15-12)
Old 06-15-12, 04:17 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,105 Times in 15,355 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

All of the things I am passionate about keep me broke and anything that I am good at (while overcoming the adhd and BPII) would drive me up the wall to do. There's a reason my teachers always noted on my report cards: "does not play well with others" or "runs with scissors".

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
PookDo (06-15-12)
Old 06-15-12, 06:49 AM

Thanked 30,777 Times in 14,153 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I keep finding my passion but usually lose it again in a few days. I absolutely and unconditionally pretty much love everything but never for long. It sucks living like this.
Old 06-15-12, 05:14 PM
Contributor

tortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nice

I might suggest finding your "personality type". There's a book called "self-awareness" by Travis Bradberry that talks about this, and if you buy it you get to take the IDISC personality test for free online. I'm reading the book right now and it's supposed to be helpful. I'll get back to you when I actually do take the personality test and know whether or not it does help at all.
Old 06-17-12, 07:35 AM
ADDvanced Member

chiank is on a distinguished road

I didn't find any solution for it yet ..let me know if you find one..

My Medicines (I am from India, so names of medicines indian)

AXEPTA 18 (ATOMOXETINO HYDROCLORIDE)

FLUNIL 60 (FLUXOETINE)

RIZPLUS (RISPERIDONE AND TRIHEXYPHENIDYL HYDROCLORIDE ORODISPERSIBLE)
Old 06-17-12, 07:46 AM

Thanked 5,599 Times in 2,418 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

I still don't know what I want to do with my life. So I don't know the answer to the question.

I just want to be happy. And I want to be well.
MX2012 (06-18-12), Unmanagable (06-17-12)
Old 06-17-12, 04:00 PM

Thanked 6,054 Times in 2,509 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

I've found it a couple of times.... but my ADDeryness has always messed them up.

I just need a minder....

kilted
The Following User Says Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
tudorose (06-18-12)
Old 06-17-12, 04:07 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,303 Times in 8,615 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Its got to be out there somewhere. But how do I know if the answer is really the answer?