ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-17-12, 01:57 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,031 Times in 556 Posts
Twiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to behold
Angry ADHD amd Job Performance problems

I do the best I can at work, but I still have problems in the following areas:

Tardiness
- I was late 6 times in 1.5 months and got written up for it.

Doing dumb stuff (when meds wear off)
-
I start hyperfocusing and fiddling with things around me...and yes I've been caught twice in one day by my Supervisor.
I didn't intentionally do it.

Using the Restroom too frequently
-
I get thirsty a lot from meds and drink plenty of water, which in turn makes me go to the restroom a lot. My Supervisor gets annoyed by it.

I don't want to look like a slacker at work, so I'm asking the Addforums for some advice.

Rx= Nothing. Can't due to medical reasons.

Past Rx= Vyvanse 30mg (6/13/14), Adderall 15mg 1/7/14, Medical Marijuana, Smokeless Tobacco, Adderall IR 25mg 4/23/13, Dexedrine IR 20mg, Ritalin IR 60mg.
The Following User Says Thank You to Twiggy For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (06-17-12)
Old 06-17-12, 02:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,938 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD amd Job Performance problems

Tardiness: Get the clothes you're going to wear, and everything you need to head out the door (make a list) have it all ready the night before.

Fiddling - Dunno... if it's interfering with your job not sure what to say.. keep a fiddle toy in your pocket?

Using the restroom too frequently.. WTF!!!! This is your boss being a jack ***. Tell your boss you're on medication (don't tell her what for) that makes you thirsty and hence you also need to use the washroom more often. Then, use the washroom as needed. If your boss objects do not look at her like you're doing anything wrong, very firmly let her/him know again that you need to use the washroom more frequently because it's a side effect of medication.

Do NOT tell her what the medication is for, just say it's a condition you were born with and the treatment makes you thirsty but you're not comfortable talking about it. (if you absolutely can't hold out) That's it. If she asks for more, repeat, you're not comfortable sharing that information.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
silivrentoliel (06-17-12), tudorose (06-17-12), Twiggy (06-17-12), Unmanagable (06-17-12)
Old 06-17-12, 02:19 AM

Thanked 5,617 Times in 2,422 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Set the clock 10 minutes fast.

Carry elastic bands coz that takes care of the fiddling, or use a stress ball.

Tell her to f*** off if she comments on the bathroom trips. It's none of her business. Or better still tell her she's not drinking enough water herself, buy her a water bottle and tell her she needs to drink that plus a refill by the end of the day.
Twiggy (06-17-12), Unmanagable (06-17-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-12, 02:27 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Twiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to beholdTwiggy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, ginniebean and tudorose for the advice.
I can't fiddle with anything at my workplace or have anything on me to fiddle with.

Past Rx= Vyvanse 30mg (6/13/14), Adderall 15mg 1/7/14, Medical Marijuana, Smokeless Tobacco, Adderall IR 25mg 4/23/13, Dexedrine IR 20mg, Ritalin IR 60mg.
The Following User Says Thank You to Twiggy For This Useful Post:
tudorose (06-17-12)
Old 06-17-12, 03:43 AM

Thanked 5,617 Times in 2,422 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Thanks, ginniebean and tudorose for the advice.
I can't fiddle with anything at my workplace or have anything on me to fiddle with.
Hmmmm. Grow fingernails long and then flick them against eachother?
Old 06-17-12, 03:47 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,793 Times in 8,904 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Can you have anything in your pocket?

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
Old 06-17-12, 05:37 AM
Contributor

tortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nicetortilaman is just really nice

Quote:

Tardiness
How tardy were you? I'm beginning to not like your supervisor, but it might just be how things are where you work.
Quote:
-
I start hyperfocusing and fiddling with things around me...and yes I've been caught twice in one day by my Supervisor.
I might suggest taking a second dose (or something along those lines). They can't prevent you from taking meds, and have no right to know what they're for if you don't want to tell them.
Quote:
-
I get thirsty a lot from meds and drink plenty of water, which in turn makes me go to the restroom a lot. My Supervisor gets annoyed by it.

I don't want to look like a slacker at work, so I'm asking the Addforums for some advice.
Your supervisor has absolutely zero right to be upset at you about using the restroom too frequently. I don't know what the atmosphere is like at your employer, and how much you want to keep your job, but if after talking to her about the fact that it is medically necessary for you to use the restroom more frequently than some of her other employees she still gives you crap about it, file a grievance or go to her boss or whatever.

**** like this is ridiculous, your supervisor has something up his/her butt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortilaman For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (06-17-12), Twiggy (06-17-12)
Old 06-17-12, 06:51 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,115 Times in 15,360 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Tardiness

-

-

Everything else aside...you are allowed to use the bathroom as often as you wish. Tell your supervisor to go f**k himself and if he still harasses you about the bathroom take it up with human resources.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (06-18-12), Twiggy (06-17-12)
Old 06-17-12, 09:39 AM
ADDvanced Member

Targaryen will become famous soon enough

I have started carrying a backpack (I'm a guy so I don't have a purse) with me almost everywhere I go and every night before work I make sure my wallet,keys, iPad, vitamins,etc... are all in the backpack so in the morning its not some panic fueled dilemma of me searching for the things I need and being late to work and starting my day off with negative energy. When I remember to do this it works extremely well. Another I use with my phone and iPad that has been a life saver for keeping up with appointments and when I'm working is Google calenders. You can set multiple reminders and it offers a lot of flexibility.

With the bathroom breaks I would say something to your boss letting him know that you have a medical reason for it. The have no right to do anything about that.

With the meds wearing off have you ever tried extended release meds?
Twiggy (06-17-12)
Old 06-17-12, 12:58 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortilaman View Post
How tardy were you? I'm beginning to not like your supervisor, but it might just be how things are where you work.
I was late to work 8 minutes at most. Winding the clock forward will be my option to help.

I have to call in and ask permission to use the restroom.

What are some options on taking IR Ritalin on time?
So far I ask to use the restroom and take it in a restroom stall if I don't have a break on time, it feels sort of like druggy behavior.

I haven't told my employer about my adhd or meds.

Thanks.

Old 06-17-12, 02:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

arrested_truth has a spectacular aura aboutarrested_truth has a spectacular aura about

For fidgeting, I suggest getting one of those Eos chapsticks, shaped like a round pod, they make this clicky noise when you open and close them. It's slightly annoying to other people but it definitely is perfect for the fidget action
Old 06-17-12, 05:09 PM

Thanked 21,938 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Asking permission to use the washroom I can't believe this is 'just how things are' surely this is a violation of some sort.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
ana futura (06-17-12), spunkysmum (06-18-12)
Old 06-17-12, 06:36 PM

Thanked 6,242 Times in 3,065 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
Set the clock 10 minutes fast.
This has been my tactic for the past 10 years. It stopped working and became counter productive- I learned I had "ten extra minutes" than I did, and not knowing how much time "ten minutes" actually is, I wound up making myself even later. To counter this I kept setting the clocks further and further out, until I had set them forward by a half hour.

Now I try to figure out in advance how much time it REALLY takes to get somewhere- I focus on the leaving time instead of the arriving time. If I have to be at work by 10, and my commute is 40 minutes, I fixate on 9:20. It sounds so obvious writing this, but for the longest time I focused on "being there at 10", instead of "leaving at 9:20".

I also set all my clocks back to the right time- and my partner is much happier.

Getting EVERYTHING ready the night before is always a good idea.
Old 06-17-12, 06:39 PM

Thanked 6,242 Times in 3,065 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was late to work 8 minutes at most. Winding the clock forward will be my option to help.

I have to call in and ask permission to use the restroom.

What are some options on taking IR Ritalin on time?
So far I ask to use the restroom and take it in a restroom stall if I don't have a break on time, it feels sort of like druggy behavior.

I haven't told my employer about my adhd or meds.

Thanks.
Have you tried an extended release? The IR dex was such a pain at work, extended release is much easier for me to deal with. It doesn't have to be an all day med like Concerta- Isn't ritalin LA basically like taking two IR's back to back?

You could just pop it at your desk and tell them you're taking glucosamine or some sort of multivitamin if anyone asks. Glucosamine is a good ruse because it's often taken 4 times a day. Carry them in an empty vitamin bottle if you're really concerned. Heck, take the tabs, break them in half and stick it in a gel cap, and no one will ever know. I really like the camelback waterbottles that have a straw, they make drinking water throughout the day really easy.

Last edited by ana futura; 06-17-12 at 06:55 PM..
Old 06-17-12, 06:54 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you work that you have to ask to pee??? That's pretty insane- even when I worked in a call center. If I had to pee, once I was done w/ a call, I'd just aux out and go pee. F**k them if they had anything to say. I keep my clocks fast, even on the coffee pot. My cell phone isn't fast, but I set the alarms early, otherwise I'm late... thankfully, my client's family doesn't care if I'm a few minutes late and thankfully my work hasn't said much yet.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
ana futura (06-17-12)