ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-17-12, 07:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,493 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD amd Job Performance problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
I do the best I can at work, but I still have problems in the following areas:

Tardiness
- I was late 6 times in 1.5 months and got written up for it.

Doing dumb stuff (when meds wear off)
-
I start hyperfocusing and fiddling with things around me...and yes I've been caught twice in one day by my Supervisor.
I didn't intentionally do it.

Using the Restroom too frequently
-
I get thirsty a lot from meds and drink plenty of water, which in turn makes me go to the restroom a lot. My Supervisor gets annoyed by it.

I don't want to look like a slacker at work, so I'm asking the Addforums for some advice.
The going to the rest room, especially, is something that they need to just suck up and accept. If you have to go, you have to go and they don't have a right to hold that against you. I think you can get a doctor's note for this. It might seem a little embarrassing, but it's also documentation of a medical issue which they then cannot discriminate against you for.

The being late thing is something I've struggled with myself, so I feel your pain. I finally got to the point on my last job where I was mostly able to get there JUST in time and got my routine down to a science. They didn't like that, either, but if I was punched in and at my seat by the time the buzzer went, there was very little they could do about it. I stashed a box with all the supplies I needed in one place so I could just grab it and go. If I was running late and in danger of missing the buzzer, I did the George Costanza thing and affected a very annoyed and frustrated expression, to try to give the impression that I was upset by any number of obstacles that kept me from getting there, that I was as annoyed at myself for running late as anybody else could be at me, and that it just might not be the best idea to bug me in any case.

I also do have a habit of picking up little side projects that aren't on the to-do list and fiddling with them. Only I am fortunate in two ways - that I often have an excuse - being "trapped" behind the register with nothing else to do because there are customers in the store, so if I start doing something kind of off-the-list, at least I am keeping busy and not leaning on the counter. And the other way I am lucky is that, as long as I am working my regular shift time, in the afternoon, I generally have no supervisor on site. I will tomorrow though, darn it. I have to work in the morning.
Old 06-18-12, 01:06 AM

Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post

Using the Restroom too frequently
-
I get thirsty a lot from meds and drink plenty of water, which in turn makes me go to the restroom a lot. My Supervisor gets annoyed by it.
Too frequently in your opinion, your supervisor's opinion, or both?
You might want to consider talking to a doctor about your diet and bladder. There are medications that can reduce the need if it's a bladder disfunction. It may not be water that is creating an urge but rather other things (your meds for example, you might want to try a different one) or a common diuretic such as tea, coffee, etc. Don't assume that your water intake is the reason for your problem.

This is a personal issue for me, as I've always had frequent urination problems. I once commented to my brother, who also suffers from IBS that drinking more water may in fact be the best solution. His response was a light-bulb turning on sort of moment for me, when he said "but then I'll have to go to the bathroom a lot." I realized at that moment, that both of us have avoided drinking water for years because of frequent urination. This avoidance of water created a lot of other medical problems for both of us. I now drink sufficient water and my health has improved because of it. The funny thing is, I don't have a frequent need to relieve myself because it was never water that caused the problem to begin with, it was sugary drinks, excessive carbohydrates in my diet, tea, coffee, etc. that was causing the problem. I now drink little of the above. The reason that sugary drinks might be a problem is because of the body's insulin response. The excessive insulin will then need to be removed from your body.

So, I guess my question is, are you actually drinking water, or are you drinking liquids?
Old 06-18-12, 01:27 AM

Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,493 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I have to let somebody know I am going to the bathroom so they can come take over for me if somebody should happen to come in. But over the years I've learned to get in and get out quickly (and no, I don't skip handwashing to accomplish this! ) I have always had to go fairly often. Although, for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to be a problem on this job. Except that I always have to pee when the shift is ending, but because I am trying so hard to get to the point where I am getting out in a timely manner, I generally end up holding it and stopping to pee at another store on the way home.
ana futura (06-18-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-12, 01:43 AM

Thanked 6,242 Times in 3,065 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

If you've recently upped your water intake, your bladder needs to get used to holding more liquid. You should get used to it and have to go less often eventually.
The Following User Says Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (06-18-12)
Old 06-18-12, 09:42 AM
ADDvanced Member

Shlarin has a spectacular aura aboutShlarin has a spectacular aura about

Stuff I do that annoys my supervisor:

- Coming in right before the start of my shift. It begins at 6:30am, already very early. I usually arrive at 6:20 although rarely late.

- Messy desk.

- Rarely/never answering emails outside of working hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shlarin For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (06-18-12)