ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 07-10-16, 03:15 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,525 Times in 13,325 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
My office

My reign on the first floor endeth!

I have been alone in an office for four people since they put a department that had been on my wing, on the second floor. It was like Highlander, i was the last one!

I found out on Friday, that they are bringing some people from finance dept down to my floor. they ( my boss/ other manager/) said they put 4 in my office and i move next door to smaller office with one other person. i said no I would'rather stay where i am ( all my stuff is there ....) so they said that was fine.

but then maybe the other office with one person would be better? i dont like being with just one person unless i really, genuinely enjoy their company all day.
but then i would have some time to myself at lunch ( i go out quite late) and at the end of the day. And then my boss tends to barge in like a cheetah with papers or for snacks ( he is hypoglycemic) and it would really distract the others. also they would have to put the desks sideways so we can each see outside. and then who would be in my office? also i had forgotten there would be lots of phone calls and then ppl printing stuff all day.

So this was just decided without really telling anyone first,but at least they were nice about it.
but no more music all day! and i cant zone out too much.

it probably wont actually happen until september but i had better make up my mind and tell HR tomorow before they make plans. what do you think???
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-10-16), Gilthranon (07-10-16), salleh (07-12-16), Simargl (07-10-16)
Old 07-10-16, 04:30 AM
Suspended Account

Thanked 5,300 Times in 2,835 Posts
Gilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My office

I don't really know - I've never been in a situation like that but I'm sure you can figure it out and the posts below this one will be more informative - either way good luck !
The Following User Says Thank You to Gilthranon For This Useful Post:
stef (07-10-16)
Old 07-10-16, 05:31 AM

Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,353 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar choice and I chose to stay with only one person. The 4 people office were more fun at times, but usually it was just horribly distracting and annoying: they insisted on listening to the radio almost all day long, there were lots of people there all the time, they would help me out more, but they would also ask me for help a lot more often since I was always around, I felt that each break I took, each time I left office sooner or arrived a little later or zoned out I was being judged (I don't know if anyone actually cared, but I was always afraid) and the air conditioning was always on, since it got really warm in there. Other arguments were about whether or not we keep the window open or the curtains over the windows or where to put our stuff or whether the door should be left open etc.

TL;DR: If you're chill and easy going, the office with 4 would be better, if you're picky, have lots of pet-peeves, sensory issues and focusing issues, I'd recommend the smaller one.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-10-16), anonymouslyadd (07-10-16), salleh (07-12-16), stef (07-10-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-16, 07:29 AM

Thanked 22,452 Times in 12,086 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I just had my first cup of coffee and the office thing made me frantic.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-10-16), anonymouslyadd (07-10-16), stef (07-10-16)
Old 07-10-16, 07:48 AM

Thanked 30,816 Times in 14,172 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know the one person you would be sharing with in the other office?

Or The other 3 that would be moving into your current office?

I think what corina said made a lot of sense in terms.of making a choice.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-10-16), salleh (07-12-16), stef (07-10-16)
Old 07-10-16, 06:11 PM

stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Do you know the one person you would be sharing with in the other office?

Or The other 3 that would be moving into your current office?

I think what corina said made a lot of sense in terms.of making a choice.
I know one person from that dept, she seems nice and i recognize 2 others. and then i have no idea which of'the group would be in the small office, anyway.

Corina thanks i had forgotten i get up frequently. also potential disagreements about the temperature!
I would prefer not to relive the Great Heating Wars of 1999-2000 ( one colleague liked cold room and wore big sweater, the other wore liked blouse in warm room...)

i just hope i wont be to be with one person i dislike.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (07-12-16), Fuzzy12 (07-10-16), Little Missy (07-10-16), salleh (07-12-16)
Old 07-11-16, 10:05 AM

WHOA good thing i said something today
and really the small office is better also because *I* have to keep getting up to scan things, etc. It would be very annoying.

I was just with HR (who agrees that the 2 people in the office is best), and she called the other dept. manager while I was with her , and they finalized it.
I dont know the person who will be in the office (had to look on the intranet) but I've seen her and she looks pleasant.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (07-12-16), Little Missy (07-11-16), salleh (07-12-16)
Old 07-11-16, 10:56 AM

Thanked 14,984 Times in 6,694 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
WHOA good thing i said something today
and really the small office is better also because *I* have to keep getting up to scan things, etc. It would be very annoying.

I was just with HR (who agrees that the 2 people in the office is best), and she called the other dept. manager while I was with her , and they finalized it.
I dont know the person who will be in the office (had to look on the intranet) but I've seen her and she looks pleasant.
Splendid!

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (07-11-16), stef (07-11-16)
Old 07-12-16, 03:11 PM

Thanked 8,349 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

I think you made the right decision ......you do have to get work done there ! and good luck to you .....* makes sacrifices to the gods that Steff gets a fabulous new "roommate" *

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
The Following User Says Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
stef (07-12-16)
Old 07-12-16, 04:16 PM

Well i know. who it is now, but i dont actually know this woman
another advantage is that she won't be working on anything remotely related to my own work. Really this could have been much worse.
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-12-16)