ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Current ADD Events & News > ADD News
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD News News from around the world about ADD/ADHD, other disorders, and some rather bizzarre & strange stories.

Old 12-17-04, 11:14 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 1,632 Times in 574 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Warning Added to ADHD Drug Strattera

2 Cases of Liver Injury Reported in Patients Taking Strattera

By Michael Smith, MD
WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Brunilda Nazario, MD
on Friday, December 17, 2004

Dec. 17, 2004 -- Eli Lilly and Company announced today that it has added a warning to Strattera, an attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) medication.

Lilly says Strattera should be stopped in patients with signs of jaundice -- yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes. Jaundice is a sign of liver damage. If blood tests show evidence of liver damage, the drug should also be stopped.

There have been two reported cases of severe liver injury among patients taking Strattera. Lilly says this is out of the more than 2 million patients who have taken the medication since the drug was approved in November 2002. Both patients have recovered with normal liver function after stopping the medication.

"Patient safety is our top priority at Lilly. When we learned of the first case, we reported it to the FDA and began a thorough investigation, including consultation with outside experts and a review of all the available data," says Douglas Kelsey, MD, a pediatrician and a clinical research physician for the pharmaceutical giant.

"We worked closely with the FDA to determine the best course of action, and as a result, are taking a number of measures to notify health care professionals and ultimately patients. In addition, our thorough review of the clinical trial and real-world data indicate that the benefit-risk profile for Strattera is positive, and the medication continues to be an important treatment option for patients with ADHD."

In addition to yellowing of the whites of the eyes or the skin, there are other signs of liver damage. If you notice any of these while taking Strattera, let your doctor know immediately.

* Itchy skin
* Dark urine
* Pain or tenderness in the upper, right side of the abdomen
* Unexplained "flu-like" symptoms

Lilly says that the 6,000 patients taking Strattera in clinical trials had no evidence of liver injury.

"Real-world reports indicate that Strattera can cause severe liver injury in rare cases," Lilly says, in a news release. "Because of probable underreporting, it is impossible to provide an accurate estimate of the true incidence of these events."

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 03-02-05, 05:19 PM
Contributor

neuroangel is on a distinguished road
And yet another Lilly medication causing damage to vital organs... Zyprexa is a Lilly drug, and it causes a lot of problems with the pancreas. Currently, there are a lot of lawsuits.

Cyndi
"But the man who comes back through the Door in the Wall will never be quite the same as the man who went out. He will be wiser but less cocksure, happier but less self-satisfied, humbler in acknowledging his ignorance yet better equipped to understand the relationship of words to things, of systematic reasoning to the unfathomable Mystery which it tries, forever vainly, to comprehend." Aldous Huxley, The Doors of Perception
Old 03-02-05, 05:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

auntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the rough
oh my goodness I have been like that with the symptoms and the past 4month have had the flu. My neurologist just did a complete blood panel yesterday. auntchris
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-05, 06:50 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
Pretty much every drug has the potential to cause liver problems in those who are suceptable. My understanding of how this can occur in someone taking the drug as directed is: Some people lack certain enzymes that break down these drugs due to genetics, their bodies may not make enough, so the drug builds up in the body because it's not clearing at the rate it should - the person is in essence overdosing. This eventually damages the liver. It's my understanding that this is quite rare, but there are tests that can be done to detect this problem - the enzyme deficiency. The other way to detect it is to test for liver function during regular visits - a blood test checks for elevated levels of a different kind of liver enzyme - one that indicates that the liver is unhappy. This test will identify liver problems from all sources - a weekend at a frathouse or too much tylenol - and elevated levels aren't necessarily a problem, just one more thing to worry about. I'm not worried at all about my liver - it made it through my 20's, so it must be tough enough - but I'd say there's more risk from picking up hepatitus from an improperly washed glass at a restaurant, etc than there is from any of the medications I'm taking.
Old 03-03-05, 12:15 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

auntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the rough
in my post it sshould have said last 4 weeks not the last 4 months opps an add thing goiing on