ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-13, 01:57 PM

flutterbee is on a distinguished road
How do I remember to move my car for street cleaning?

Please help! I'm hemorrhaging money on parking tickets for street cleaning day. It seems to happen a lot when I get home late (late = 2am - 4am) and I somehow confuse what day it is. Wtf, brain?? Or, I'm staying at home the day before street cleaning and forget about my car - including that I have to move it.

I've tried some silly stuff. I'm desperate enough to move onto the embarrassing. There's a sticky on my door to remind me, but I ignore it. There's a notice in my smartphone calendar to be careful, but my calendar is so variable (student) that I never get a reminder when I need it. I'm considering attaching a compass, a watch (with weekdays), and an accelerometer to a ******* alarm to put in my car.

I wanna cry. If I keep this up, I'll be paying interest on parking tickets.
Old 01-02-13, 02:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,777 Times in 14,153 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do I remember to move my car for street cleaning?

I was going to suggest setting up a weekly reminder (+ alarm) on your mobile but it looks like you've done that already. Could you maybe stick a note to your steering wheel? That way it would remind you every day to think about which day it is before you park or get out of your car and then on the days before cleaning day you could move it.
Old 01-02-13, 02:24 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

lalapin is a glorious beacon of lightlalapin is a glorious beacon of lightlalapin is a glorious beacon of lightlalapin is a glorious beacon of lightlalapin is a glorious beacon of lightlalapin is a glorious beacon of light

I had the same problem before and I'm now able to manage it. I made it a habit that everytime I park my car I think which side I have to be on. For the first 2 years I had plenty of tickets but now I rarely get them. If you are like me post its in the car won't work because you'll forget to look at it, cell phone alarms didn't work for me either, so it'll be hard the first month to devellop that reflex but after that it'll become automatic. I'm taking meds though so it makes it easier to form new habits, are y
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-13, 02:31 PM

Teuorr will become famous soon enough

I agree that post-its can be too subtle. What about taping a big sheet of paper to the dash? With a reminder in big thick marker?
Old 01-02-13, 03:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,917 Times in 823 Posts
keliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond repute

For me personally, sticky notes and signs don't work, because I very quickly integrate them into my general environment and they don't pop out at me anymore. It only takes a day or two for a sticky note reminder to turn into "noise" so to speak - it's just part of the environment, it's not a reminder anymore.

If I need to be reminded, I usually set a timer or an alarm, depending on what the situation calls for. Can you set an alarm at 10 PM on the night you need to move your car (or whatever time is best), that way it will remind you? And if you're going out for the night, maybe set yourself a different alarm before you leave, for 2 AM, to remind you when you get home or are about to get home? It sounds like you've already tried some kind of alarm, but have you put one like that on your phone?

"I've got a mountain to climb before I get over this hill
I've got the world to unwind before I ever sit still..."
- A Long Way to Get, Bob Schneider
The Following User Says Thank You to keliza For This Useful Post:
Zevispaz (01-02-13)
Old 01-02-13, 04:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute

Many cities will send text alerts. I have them set up for snow emergencies here.

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
danelady (01-03-13)
Old 01-03-13, 04:26 AM

flutterbee is on a distinguished road

Street cleaning is twice weekly. So no text messages.

I'm going to try the reminder sheet and getting in the habit of checking it.
Old 01-03-13, 05:35 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,436 Times in 6,133 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Geez an we struggle with a weekly trash day - Luckily my neighbors have the same trash day so one of us generally notices there trash cans in the street which clues us into the need to take our trash to the street

I hate it when we forget. Every now and then the trash men get to see Gary in his underthings running out there to get the can in the street before they pass us by. I am to klutzy to get my buttocks out the door Some thing about those ten cats circling my feet makes running out the door a tad more difficult {Guess who remembers to feed the cats most mornings }

- I think he has been a tad too late once or twice in the six or so years we have lived here. Garry has been known to offer them a token of appreciation for coming back to pick up our trash! Gary hates sharing his tokens almost as much as running out in the street in his underthings {we live on a busy highway in a small town } I think it is the combination of greed and embarrassment that helps him remember what day it is !

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook