ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-05, 08:08 PM

FourTrackMind is on a distinguished road
Question for all the musicians here.

I started playing guitar at age 18. i just turned 23 and to be honest... i'm still a pretty bad guitarplayer. I could've learned more in 5 years (i'm sure this is every musicians frustration, but seriously...)

Anyway, i have serious issues trying to keep my focus while learning new things to play. Luckily i have had a teacher for the past 10 months that has putting me up to the test, and i have been passing.. although it hasn't been with flying colors, like i would like to. Now that his lessons are starting to get more student specific, and we have gotten rid of the books.. i've noticed a loss of goal. Ofcourse, i can say; i'm gonna teach myself this song this week, but learning 1 is just.. boring to me. Ofcourse, learning guitar is more than playing songs over and over, but i'd love to get in at least ONE solid hour of practice a day, and not just 10 to 15 minutes here and there spread over the course of all my time spent at home, when i feel the need to play.

So.. any guitar players or other musicians that can help me out here with some tips for making learning more interesting and effective?

Ps. i have noticed that i play longer when i really get entertained with my own playing.. i'm sure that after a while of making steady progress, my playing should be interesting enough to keep interest in getting better.
Old 07-03-05, 08:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

crime_scene has disabled reputation
I took up clarinet after a 20 year absence post highschool, but I know I'm not a great practicer of practicing..

so I got a music teacher, and I got specific things to do each week and I had to perform each week or I'd get a reprimand. Oh and since I had to pay for the lessons, that added some extra incentive.

Look at it this way, even sports pro's have coaches!

only dead fish go with the flow...

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. (Robin Williams)
Old 07-03-05, 11:15 PM

Thanked 5,024 Times in 2,426 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute
I believe you said you have an instructor, FourTrackMind, right?

Perhaps your instructor can recommend a book for you? It sounds like you lost sight of goals without books. You can try more books. Or you can set a goal for yourself, with the help of your instructor. Ask you and your instructor questions like where do you want to be in a month? Perhaps you can work on one specific area and move onto the next when it's met.

I have a hard time playing guitar to learn. I taught myself, and I'm not very good but good enough for me. When I play, I like to play songs and learn the chords as I go.

But, perhaps each time you sit down with your guitar - you have a goal and cannot stop practicing until you accomplish it - a small goal.
Remember to once in a while to pick up your guitar to have fun with it, 'cause just practicing can get old!!

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-05, 01:36 PM
Jr Member

whisper72 is on a distinguished road
It takes me forever just to get some lyrics down on paper. Plus I have been trying to learn my scales and modes but I get bored so easily I give up. I know a few scales though
Old 07-05-05, 04:34 PM

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourTrackMind
i'd love to get in at least ONE solid hour of practice a day, and not just 10 to 15 minutes here and there
FourTrack,
I became a piano student at the ripe old age of 42 and before I was diagnosed with ADHD. Because I was a stay at home mom, I was able to practice through the day whenever I felt like it and usually only for ten or fifteen minutes at a time. I went through three grades in one year and got first class honours on my conservatory practical exam.

It was only when I re-entered the workforce full-time that I confessed to my piano teacher that I was unable to practice for one long session. My piano teacher told me about a very accomplished local pianist (plays with the regional symphony) / teacher of advanced students who has only ever been able to practice for ten or fifteen minute sessions at a time.

Priceless information that allowed me to give myself permission to do what was best for me.

Phaedrus

Old 07-05-05, 06:45 PM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
I played for a long time, then got away from it when I sold my guitar to stay in college.
I've recently started playing again and I do not seem to have the focus that I used to , with regard to music. In any case my hearing problems are likely to cause me to give it up. The net result is that I now play badly, but I used to play very well.

I would suggest playing the guitar a lot. Just play it. Play with other musicians, and have fun. Play for anyone who will isten to you. Just have fun with it. A half hour to an hour a day is plenty of practice. Just do it. There is no magical recipie. You just do it or not.

You might want to set a long term goal of learning 50 songs. Then add another 50. You want to be able to play for 5 hours without getting too repetetive in your choice of songs, then you are ready to play with a band (if that is what you feel like).

Me
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 07-05-05, 11:26 PM
Contributor

Pigeon has disabled reputation
I like to say that I play the piano, althouth I'm only very good at a few songs... I want to learn more but I never seem to "find the time" well honestly I just don't do it, lol. For me in school I bounced from the flute to the trumpet and the keyboard. The last I was best at so I took it to piano. I enjoy playing only when I know the song well enough to not have to follow the music. I can read music to learn the songs but I can't read and play at the same time, so basically I have to memorize it... therein' lyes the problem, but I still like to re-play the few I know.
Old 07-06-05, 06:15 AM

FourTrackMind is on a distinguished road
Thank you for all your suggestions and comments... For me it's also definitely true that i always stick to what i know; doesn't matter if i'm jamming for myself or if i'm playing a song that i learned. Setting tangible goals is definitely the best motivator when studying.. Chopping larger chunks of material into smaller bits seems to work.. and i can get things over with quickly ;-)

I still believe i can accomplish my guitarplaying goal, but i just need to start putting more heart toward it. I've been blaming my teacher for my lack of progress, while i'm really the one to blame. I just feel kinda lost in music and it's theory so some guidance is definitely needed, but if he can't set a goal for me, i should be setting my own. I think i'm gonna run to the copyshop and get that book of Black Sabbath tunes copied
Old 07-06-05, 10:01 AM

Ian has disabled reputation
I played badly for a long time. Some would say I still do! heheh I love the feel of doing it though so I keep playing guitar. Dex has made it possible for me to entertain ideas of playing in front of people. I would never have had the focus otherwise.

In 1985 I put away the lessons and began to play every day just hunting for the music that resides in me. I played with the instrument until I could find something thar reflected my soul. It's been a fun ride and an enjoyable one. Years later I began to take single lessons from musicians that I liked or wanted to learn from.

I found that a good teacher could give me enough in an hour to keep me busy for months. I always came away with some tablature and a tape of the work so I could review endlessly at home.

I don't spend a lot of time learning new things as it seems to take forever to be able to travel in those directions. I add to my repetoire very slowly. I've given up on expectations of becoming a very good player, but have come to enjoy the playing even more because of that freedom. I've become a much better singer with some simple instruction too which is fun, especially when my daughters love to sing.
Good luck with it.
Cheers! Ian.
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 07-07-05, 06:36 PM

Synthetica is on a distinguished road
My big issue with learning guitar was getting turned off when I didn't get immediate results, and the fact that I could spend 30 minutes learning the chords to a song and they would be "gone" in a few days.

I am still trying to improve my musical memory so I can remember songs, but my fundamentals have improved a lot. I just need to force myself to make time for the guitar more often. When I play it, I really enjoy it, it's just that other hobbies usually come first.

Worst thing I ever did was to buy a multieffects unit. I spent more time playing with the sound than I did playing songs! I shelved that and just accept the tone for what it is and play, which is a lot more productive.
Old 07-09-05, 12:58 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

timh has a spectacular aura abouttimh has a spectacular aura about
Prior to my ADHD diagnosis and medication, I remember not having the patience to play guitar for longer than 15min. Now that I have been taking medication, I feel more relaxed and in-touch with the music I am playing.

I too bought the multi-effects pedal and spend more time tinkering with the sound than actual playing. I think I am going to trade in my Strat for a nice acoustic next week.

I never learned how to read music, either. The notes would just get all mixed up on the page. Forget about my fingers trying to keep up with my eyes and brain.

- "Tim's incessant talking is wearing on all of us." (comment on 4th grade report card)

Cocktail : Adderall XR (10mg AM), Lexapro (10mg), Strattera (40mg AM/40mg PM)