ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-16, 01:53 PM

sampeckinpah is on a distinguished road
Anyone suggestions for dealing with forgetfulness?

I have a real problem with forgetfulness when people are having conversations with me or I guess anything else I have to remember haha I'm not sure if its that I'm not paying attention to the conversation or I just have a short term memory. Like someone will have a conversation with me and ask me what they were just talking about and I wont know and I feel really embarrassed. I am taking 20 mg of ritalin to help with it but i feel like its still a problem. Is there anything else I can do?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sampeckinpah For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-18-16), Greyhound1 (10-18-16)
Old 10-10-16, 03:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 22,363 Times in 12,041 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone suggestions for dealing with forgetfulness?

Only talk to people that are interesting enough to listen to. That's what I have to do.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-18-16), Oddnutter (10-24-16), sampeckinpah (10-10-16)
Old 10-10-16, 04:27 PM

Thanked 5,752 Times in 2,462 Posts
Hermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond reputeHermus has a reputation beyond repute

What you are probably talking about is zoning out and it's a fairly common ADD trait. I do this all the time in conversations, without myself even actively noticing. It's far less when I'm on Ritalin, but even then it happens. It's one of the ADD traits we need to learn to live with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermus For This Useful Post:
sampeckinpah (10-10-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-16, 05:42 PM

Thanked 21,938 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

I have yet to find anything. Sorry.
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
sampeckinpah (10-10-16)
Old 10-18-16, 02:18 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,083 Times in 15,343 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

My mind can be a collander. Best solution is to put a pot under my head to catch all the stuff that drains out.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-23-16), aeon (10-18-16), sampeckinpah (10-18-16)
Old 10-18-16, 08:13 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Delboy31 is just really niceDelboy31 is just really niceDelboy31 is just really niceDelboy31 is just really nice

If it's not interesting to me, my mind goes to what is in the room, what the art looks like, what people are wearing, anything colorful. Nothing I have tried really works...if my brain isn't interested forget it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Delboy31 For This Useful Post:
sampeckinpah (10-19-16)
Old 10-18-16, 08:56 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,315 Times in 7,808 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I developed a bad coping skill for my forgetfulness. It has been effective but at the expense of my mental health and quality of life. I wouldn't recommend it. I developed obsessive thinking to keep important things in the front of my mind. I would intentionally try and over think them as to not forget. Even chanting important events over and over in my head. This happened after a tramautic experience and first ever panic attack

My last semester of my senior year of college I forgot the day of my final exam in calculus. I had already failed the class once and needed the required credits to graduate on time. I was doing extremely well this time around and graduation was just around the corner.

My parents were excited and even had a graduation party planned and I blew it, so I thought. My exam was on a Tuesday and I forgot and thought it was Thursday for some reason. Stayed up all night Wednesday studying only to show up to an empty lecture hall on Thursday.

I went down to the math department and inquired about the exam and was told it was Tuesday. I was devistated. I knew making a zero on the final would fail me for sure. I freaked out and went into sheer panic mode. I pleaded with the math department for my professor's phone number or address. They refused because it was against the rules. I guess the pure terror in my voice and pleading worked because they gave it to me.

It took me 3 days to finally make contact with my instructor. He said that since I always showed up and participated in class that he thought something was wrong. He said he gave me a C for the semester was that ok. I was ecstatic!

Sorry for the long story but that's what lead to my obsessive thinking. I made a conscious decision to try and obsess on things of importance. It really helped at first because I didn't want to ever experience the fear I had with my final. That fear was a powerful motivator for me to not forget.

It quickly spiraled out of control. I began to obsess more and more which lead to lots of anxiety. Lots of anxiety and no other coping skills eventually lead to OCD and was ruining my life.

I hope you can find a healthy way to improve your forgetfulness. Anxiety and OCD can be effective but the cost to one's mental health is far too great. I would rather forget. 3 terrible days of anxiety and a bad choice afterwords has lead to a lifetime struggle with OCD and anxiety for me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-24-16), Little Missy (10-18-16), sampeckinpah (10-19-16), stef (10-19-16)
Old 10-18-16, 10:53 PM

Thanked 14,983 Times in 6,694 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

For me, my dose of Dexedrine completely eliminates zoning out.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
sampeckinpah (10-19-16)
Old 10-18-16, 11:18 PM
Jr Member

Mr.focus is on a distinguished road

I used to have this problem frequently.

I been meditating for now than 1 year, every day for 1 hour and i can say that improve my situation. It still in me.. But much better.

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.focus For This Useful Post:
sampeckinpah (10-19-16)
Old 10-19-16, 07:32 AM
Contributor

john2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to behold

Very common for me as well.I would hear :"We not gonna be fixing unit-UI only testing it and replacing a filter.. Unit-UI1,UI7,UI9 will be replaced.

As soon as the conversation was over I would be like: what did he say about unit-UI? Fixing it? NOt fixing it? Replacing it? Just 1second after the conversation was over.

1.On the job
-When given directions on the phone from people, I would require them to text me or email me. If that was not possible I would have to write it down and read it back to them . At first they were thinking like what the hell, He cant remember 4 things, but then they realizing that it helps everybody , because there were no he said, she said. No need to call back to verify. I always have a small notebook on me thats were the directions goes.

2.In personal life when I'm given directions I would do the same.

It almost looks like I have a problem to convert spoken word to something meaningless when under even a minimal stress. When I watch documentaries at home , I have an excellent understanding and memory.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to john2100 For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-19-16), Jeftheginger (10-25-16), Oddnutter (10-24-16), sampeckinpah (10-19-16)
Old 10-19-16, 12:06 PM

Thanked 2,595 Times in 1,219 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

This is so hard to deal with ... because working harder can raise your stress and make remembering more difficult.

One, check your anxiety level. High anxiety interferes with memory. So make sure you don't have an untreated anxiety issue.

I say just turn this into a game ... just try to remember one little piece of what someone says ... one little piece ... and stop there ....

Also, it's not all that rude to ask a person to repeat themselves. Sometimes I realize I wasn't listening and I now ask people to repeat what they said. They never really mind this .....But I don't do this very often.

It's funny, I have great memory for conversation. But on spacial details. I am completely lost ... I hardly remember anything about my surroundings ... I have a friend who is great at art and space ... and he describes things I've walked past a million times and never noticed .... Heck there are things in the house that I live in that I don't see.

Tone
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-19-16), sampeckinpah (10-19-16), stef (10-19-16)
Old 10-19-16, 05:49 PM

Is it a bad idea for me to get into a job that requires a lot of listening? So like I could make lists and stuff, and get them to repeat themselves if I miss it. Is forgetting stuff like I was super hungry today so I put something in the oven. Totally forget about it then it was burnt and I was still hungry. Is that the same lines around how I forget when Im having conversations with people?
Old 10-19-16, 07:07 PM

Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampeckinpah View Post
Is it a bad idea for me to get into a job that requires a lot of listening? So like I could make lists and stuff, and get them to repeat themselves if I miss it. Is forgetting stuff like I was super hungry today so I put something in the oven. Totally forget about it then it was burnt and I was still hungry. Is that the same lines around how I forget when Im having conversations with people?
Are you on meds?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
sampeckinpah (10-19-16)
Old 10-19-16, 07:52 PM

yeah Ritalin sr, would that help with forgetfulness if I had the right dose? I seem to forget a lot still even being on meds
Old 10-19-16, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampeckinpah View Post
yeah Ritalin sr, would that help with forgetfulness if I had the right dose? I seem to forget a lot still even being on meds
Oh, don't worry. I forget everything and I'm on Adderall.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Oddnutter (10-24-16), sampeckinpah (10-20-16)