ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-16, 02:06 PM

mozartboy is on a distinguished road
Adult first time bike riding

Hi, I'm trying to teach myself to ride a bike as an adult. I wondered if this was a more common adhd experience. Anyone else have to learn to ride a bike as an adult? How was it? Do you have any tips for newbies like me? Did you teach yourself, or did you get someone else to help you?
The Following User Says Thank You to mozartboy For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-24-16)
Old 10-21-16, 04:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 22,379 Times in 12,051 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adult first time bike riding

Well, I learned as a child but MUCH later than any of the others. Way later.

They say once you know how you'll always know how but I'm here to tell you that although I still know how I am easily swayed over and off by a good gust of wind if I'm turning in a circle.

Happy biking.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-21-16), Fuzzy12 (10-21-16)
Old 10-21-16, 06:01 PM

Thanked 30,768 Times in 14,149 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Well, I learned as a child but MUCH later than any of the others. Way later.

They say once you know how you'll always know how but I'm here to tell you that although I still know how I am easily swayed over and off by a good gust of wind if I'm turning in a circle.

Happy biking.
I went to school everyday by bike for 5 years and then almost never rode again. Now if I have to get onto a bike I'm pretty shaky.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-21-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-16, 06:58 PM

Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I went to school everyday by bike for 5 years and then almost never rode again. Now if I have to get onto a bike I'm pretty shaky.
Yeah, I had baskets on the back and I found out pretty quick that books shifted quickly on a turn and I should have gotten a three wheeler.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 10-21-16, 07:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

Tetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really nice

Make sure to wear a helmet. And it's okay to wear knee/elbow pads, too, if you think you're going to fall off the bike. Don't try to ride on grass when you're just learning because there are always knobs and holes and roots hidden beneath the seemingly perfect lawn. And it's also okay to get someone's help if you're having trouble with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tetrahedra For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-21-16)
Old 10-21-16, 08:42 PM

I'm from the Commando-Era. Helmets and pads hadn't even been hatched yet.

Hell, even sidewalks and/or the street not to mention grass and rooty knobs and all, are something you have to watch close for. Uneven patches, debris and such...

What kind of bike do you have?

I remember the guy at the bike shop showed me how to step down off of it at a stop. He was SO helpful.

And make sure you have a rear fender on it unless you want mud up your back.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-21-16), Pilgrim (10-22-16)
Old 10-21-16, 09:39 PM

Thanked 4,165 Times in 2,150 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Bike riding since 5. ADHD had no affect for me.

Good memories. Back in the day, we could ride all over the city on our own. Now, parents won't let their kids ride their bikes anywhere unsupervised for fear of kidnapping and crashes.
Old 10-22-16, 12:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

Bluechoo is a glorious beacon of lightBluechoo is a glorious beacon of lightBluechoo is a glorious beacon of lightBluechoo is a glorious beacon of lightBluechoo is a glorious beacon of light

I learned around the age of 5, as well. In fact, my occasional spurts of obsessive mountain biking while growing up were probably a form of self-medication.

I think practicing stopping is the most important thing, because once you finally go you're just going to take off, and that is actually the easy part. So make sure you know what to do to stop and get off safely once you have taken off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluechoo For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-22-16)
Old 10-22-16, 06:52 PM

Thanked 1,861 Times in 1,181 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Commando era, how awesome.!
The Following User Says Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-22-16)
Old 10-24-16, 07:19 PM

mozartboy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the input. I've gotten to balance going downhill with no pedals decently, but I can't seem to add the pedals in. All the advice I've read/heard about focusing on one pedal and putting it at the top just ends in said pedal slipping out of reach. I am going to look at adult training wheels, though. I forget what they are called.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mozartboy For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-24-16)
Old 10-24-16, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartboy View Post
Thanks for all the input. I've gotten to balance going downhill with no pedals decently, but I can't seem to add the pedals in. All the advice I've read/heard about focusing on one pedal and putting it at the top just ends in said pedal slipping out of reach. I am going to look at adult training wheels, though. I forget what they are called.
Yeah, downhill can seem pretty wild

Old 10-24-16, 10:12 PM

Thanked 2,597 Times in 1,220 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Courage to you for going for it and not being shamed away from learning how to ride a bike.

Bike riding on two wheels is so subtle, and it a wonder that people just pick it up ... There is a subtle shift of the hips and weight that riders do .. that they don't even know that they do anymore. This subtle movement helps create balance, as I understand it.

A salute to your boldness and courage and fearlessness!

No shame in your game!

Tone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-25-16)