ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 11-09-13, 09:13 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

tryn-optmsm has disabled reputation
The job search:

Maybe it's just a rant so bare with me ....

and yes, my career coach fired me (tried to tell her I'm not lazy, stupid or crazy )

have been unemployed/underemployed for several years now.... it's a really steep hill to climb with my ADHD combo

) I kind of lost faith in myself and the inconsistency of my brain functions (at 1st when I imagined people's expectations of me and then during interviews - will it amaze people w' its out of the box OR will it play dead)

) Networking is awesome - I'm great at making the initial contact - follow-up OMG (and pls don't tell me to put a reminder in my outlook) never seem to get to it - maybe it's the inconsistency or asking them to trust me or the tiny little details involved that drive me up the wall up my motivation and being persistent;
and I am REALLY horrific at maintaining relationships

)70% of my job-search is ONLINE looking for contacts, researching companies, looking for ads..... it is sooooooooo easy for me to take a "3 minute break" check out a website and then realize that 5 hrs passed

) Remembering my long-term goals and keeping the consequences in mind without it debilitating me

) The getting started is a B***h, shifting my focus each resume I send out or each company I start reseaching is torture .....
- at work I Loved multitasking (was even a geat pjm) ; this is sooooooo different - still haven't really figured out why - maybe the no-tangible-ending?

) Did I mention prioritizing, I forgot .....

) let's not forget the awesomeness that is easily bored and distracted - during a job search - heavens never..........

) finding and fine-tuning the balance between a guilty conscience of underwhelming myself And overwhelming myself into paralysis ---> think I'd rather eat mud
Sunshine:
Started reading the books again (Hallowell, Ratey....) ; partnered with another ADHD'er (accountability) and hired a Personal Check-in guy to help with Desperately needed structure (total love/hate w' structure) - currently have none

Really trying to tell myself it's a learning period where I'm getting to know myself better & get a better/firmer grasp on my ADHD and its impact --------> as hollywood addicts always say 'this time it really will be different'

Job search for me is a STEEP Hill -

** if you read this far - I honestly and sincerely appreciate your patience
Old 11-09-13, 06:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,188 Times in 2,163 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: The job search:

I sympathize cause job hunting is THE most difficult task for me.

I wouldn't feel bad about your career coach. She's obviously isn't right for you and it was her job to help you so she's the one that failed in that relationship.

The only thing that works for me is when I get my sisters to help me with my job hunting. One will look up jobs while I sit next to her and fill applications (and she pushes me to fill in the applications while she's job searching).

If you have someone that can help you like that, I'd recommend trying that. Unfortunately for me, sister is pregnant and her last pregnancy was very difficult. So she doesn't want to do anything that is a slight stress to her right now and told me to get my other sister to help (who I wonder might have mild adhd and isn't very helpful).
Old 11-09-13, 06:43 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,972 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The job search:

If as an ADHDer you need a coach, therapist, or whatever other kind of person to help you with "big stuff", I believe it absolutely must be someone who understands ADHD, or don't even bother hiring them. Once in a while I'll be wrong about that, but IMO it won't be often enough to matter.

Someone to help you with "little stuff" - doesn't matter as much, suit yourself.

If you're searching 70% online, it had better be for a computer related job. Otherwise, switch your strategy to 30% online and 70% real life.
Sponsored Links