ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-11, 03:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jewelz81 has a spectacular aura aboutJewelz81 has a spectacular aura about
Re: A few blurbs I found regarding Hyperfocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrrd View Post
and every coupla months I'd go through those coupons and get rid of the expired ones. most of the time I left them in my purse, totally forgotten.
I don't hyper-coupon, but I do clip a few from time to time, and then let them sit in my purse, on counters, coffee tables, on top of or magneted to fridge... Most of the time I don't use them at all.

"Yep, my hyper focus as well, N. I'd read a book straight until it was done. In class, on the bus, on the toilet..."

This was only true until I got into high school for me. And after college.. I couldn't even finish a book I WANTED to finish.. and many other things/projects/ideas/career ideas I would "start" on .. but never finish!

"Prioritizing IS a real problem, my problem. I don't wanna and you can't make me."

SO ME!! Right here! Not a good thing :/

MY Latest hyperfocus???
ADHD related information, articles on ADHD, THIS Message board!! lol
Old 10-01-11, 08:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADHD0905 will become famous soon enough

OK I just had a big light bulb moment. Since I found this board I feel like I live on it. I go on when I get home to see if anyone posted anything new that can help, and next thing I know it's bed time and I didn't get any of my college work done or study like I was supposed to.

I recently thought the other day what it would be like if I could put all of the hours researching ADHD into actually doing my homework. If I could concentrate for hours on this, why couldn't i concentrate for an hour on a textbook. It's amazing how easily 3 or 4 hours can go by!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHD0905 For This Useful Post:
Jewelz81 (10-01-11)
Old 10-02-11, 05:10 PM
Jr Member

PurpleCloud has a spectacular aura aboutPurpleCloud has a spectacular aura about

Adding my voice to the pot...

I'm realizing that ADD for me is not a deficit of attention, or even a surplus of attention.

It's not being able to control my attention.

That's how the meds help me. They dampen the hyperfocus ability, unfortunately, but I gain much more control.

I've tried d-MPD which felt like my brain was being forced to focus on what I know I needed to do (but couldn't). D-amp feels like it gets rid of my excuses for not doing what I need to do. Both work in some way to help me control my focus.

I hope that I can find a job that works well with my natural tendencies and without heavy medication.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-11, 03:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

danpan is just really nicedanpan is just really nicedanpan is just really nicedanpan is just really nice

For me, hyperfocus is like a trance.

When I hyperfocus on something, everything else ceases to exist, including my personal identity.
I place myself inside of my task in ways I really can't describe. When playing games, I become the avatar. When writing, I become part of the story, and my fingers type everything out on their own. When programming, I become the logic of the code and the flow of data, and my fingers do the rest. It's extremely difficult to describe the tremendous difference in perspective without sounding crazy.

When I hyperfocus, I do not think about anything. I just absorb information with a completely distorted perspective, based on what I am doing, and then I act on it--in ways that suggest that deep thought was involved; however, the moment I start thinking, hyperfocus is broken. And anything or anyone who dares distract me from my trance is, for the moment, my mortal enemy. My best friend could be having a heart attack right next to me, and I would actually be *angry* that I had to stop what I was doing to get help.

It's something I used to love, and I did it on almost a daily basis. It was a blissful escape, and some of the things I could come up with and do during hyperfocus were just plain awesome. But I started associating it with negative consequences, so it rarely happens any more. Even when I want it to, I think there's a fear lingering inside of me, preventing me from handing control over to whatever part of me holds the reins during hyperfocus.

I miss it sometimes. A lot, actually.
But on the whole, I think my life has been better since it stopped happening.
I am more aware of myself, my surroundings, and my situation. I care more in general.
Old 10-19-11, 12:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

icecreamfiend is a jewel in the roughicecreamfiend is a jewel in the roughicecreamfiend is a jewel in the rough

I'm glad you posted this thread as I have just posted one myself asking the question on hyperfocus. I basically posted the thread to ask if anyone has a lack of hyperfocus and if that's even possible with ADHD people?? Maybe I do have it and just don't notice it, but I swear I don't have the ability like my counterparts do. Even when I'm doing something I love, something simple as someone walking past me will force me to look up.

I've always envied the ability of others to hyperfocus especially in the creative environment where one can work on a project like a mad scientist and out comes this masterpiece after tirelessly working hours on end. I always seem to need mental breaks or just start to get bored.
Old 10-21-11, 05:40 AM

lucik321 is on a distinguished road

Good posts,thanks for sharing information.

Last edited by peripatetic; 10-21-11 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: removed links
Old 12-22-11, 02:57 AM
Jr Member

lady_peace is on a distinguished road

great post, I wish I had read something like that when I was younger.
I use to sit hours and hours behind my computer and code, if my mom would try to tell me to stop I'd lash out at her and throw fits (i was maybe 16/17 at the time). I still hyperfocus and I really dislike being interrupted when I do, but nowdays I ignore people trying to break that hyperfocus or I become sligthly irritataded.
Old 03-03-12, 07:42 PM
Jr Member

in this economy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCloud View Post
Adding my voice to the pot...

I'm realizing that ADD for me is not a deficit of attention, or even a surplus of attention.

It's not being able to control my attention.
Yes, I've heard this and have to agree. One of the well-known ADHD authors (perhaps it was Hallowell? I can't remember) stated that ADHD is not necessarily a deficit of attention but an inability to regulate attention.
Old 05-10-12, 11:43 PM
Jr Member

im4marlins is on a distinguished road

I'm great at hyper-focus. Actually to good.

I used to write computer code as a "hobby" I'd code from the time I got home from work until I had to leave the next morning. So focused that I'd forget to eat, and never felt tired for several hours after completing these marathon schedules. Once I stayed awake for 3 days straight writing, and debugging a program that I had written.

I put aside the programming and went in to hardware. I can fix a computer in less than an hour usually and check it off the list. When it's fixed it's done, in programming nothing's ever "done" it evolves. That proves very problematic for me.
Old 06-20-12, 07:04 PM

ariwara is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
The difficulty I have is acknowledging that some things I hyperfocus on, are not vital, and I really shouldn't be that focused on them.

But then again...if I could do that..I wouldn't have this issue, LOL !
I absolutely have this problem too. Especially happens when I'm on my meds and I'm learning/doing something that is challenging and interesting to me.

Here's an imperfect workaround that I use for this: I set timers for ~30 minutes. The timer serves as a sanity check (I force myself to get up, walk around, and decide whether what I'm doing is important). The timer also serves as a deadline (I feel obligated to have some results to show when the timer stops).

It's not perfect though--I still get distracted like any of us would. And that even happens with my meds (though to a lesser degree).
Old 06-27-12, 01:16 AM

BluRdgChk is on a distinguished road

This is a symptom of ADHD that I desperately wish had been given more attention 15 years ago when I suspected that I had ADHD but no one would believe me. Even now, as an adult who was finally diagnosed two years ago, I struggle with this "zoning out" constantly. I get so wound up in something I'm interested in that an interruption is not only irritating, it's catastrophic. It's like the CD hasn't just skipped, it's lost power completely, and it's in the middle of your favorite song every time. I become engrossed in puzzles - just about any kind: mental, computerized, or physical - and can work on them for HOURS without realizing that I'm late for work or an appointment, or missed a deadline on a project, etc. I've called them "timesuckers", because that's what they do - they suck time away from me.
The symptom that seems to compliment hyperfocus the most in my life is the lack of self-control in inhibiting impulsive (bordering on compulsive) behavior. I know I should be working on my conference paper for which I've already received two extensions, but I just can't help myself. I get restless and reach for a fidget toy of some kind (and I have ample supply, trust me) to just take a "quick" break. That break turns into hours spent playing with some random puzzle or game, and the conference paper still sits, untouched, in the zygote stages of writing. *sigh*
At any rate, I'm just so relieved that this piece of the ADHD puzzle is finally getting some attention (yeah, that statement is loaded with double entendres, puns, and ironies). Thanks for sharing it!

"Your battles inspired me - not the obvious material battles but those that were fought and won behind your forehead." ~ James Joyce
Old 07-08-12, 08:47 PM

bettermenow1 is on a distinguished road

Hyperfocusing is one of the gifts and curses of ADD. Some of the things I accomplish out of hyperfocusing are phenomenal, and other times it's just a waste of time on something trivial. It's also the thing that confuses me about my real passion. I"m afraid that I'll start something, hyperfocus on it, and then lose interest in it or that I'm confusing something I hyperfocus on as a passion when it's not. If that makes any sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to bettermenow1 For This Useful Post:
catrenn (10-28-12)
Old 07-30-12, 10:49 AM

USAfamily1 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for this info. My daughter was diagnosed at age 4 with sever ADHD. She is now 17 and this is the first time I have heard of Hyperfocus. Doctors actually thought my daughter might have a form of autism due to her "hyperfocus". She is classic ADHD (hyperactive, impulsive & inattentive). But she is extremely smart. In fact she loves Science (something she finds interesting) and has excelled taking AP classes while she struggles in almost all other classes. Some teachers know how to work with an ADD/ADHD child, and some like a student to sit down, shut up, and work (which doesn't work). She had a choir teacher who would help her focus by asking her to warm up the other students by playing the chords on the piano. She took to the piano like a fish to water. She has never had a formal lesson but can play fluidly with both hands by listening to the music. It takes her a time or two and she plays in fast forward until she gets it down and then… there is music. WOW! I didn't even know she could do it until a parent teacher conference. So we bought her a keyboard and she played it until she wore out the keys. Then we bought her a real piano. She cannot focus on anything for hours on end like she does the piano. I mean video games and anime are also attention grabbers but she often switches games or movies before completed. Very interesting info, thx. fficeffice" />>>
The Following User Says Thank You to USAfamily1 For This Useful Post:
catrenn (10-28-12)
Old 07-30-12, 11:36 AM

USAfamily1 is on a distinguished road

Wanted to add that my daughter’s hyperfocus is also a calming agent for anxiety. We recently went on a vacation and for a week and when we returned she dropped her bags at the door and went to the piano and played/sang for 2 hours straight and then went to bed. It is a way for her to “unwind”. It has actually been added to her IEP for school to be able to play the piano. Most people are jealous of the things she can do (photography, art, writing, singing, piano, science, soccer, reading, puzzles, video games). Most people are really good at one thing, to be talented or able to focus on so many areas seems like a blessing but not to my daughter. She still struggles in simple tasks such as organization, money, and even recognizing social cues. She is a social butterfly but if someone looked at her like shut up, she will just keep going, she doesn’t “get it” until it’s been made clear or stated obviously. One year she was failing every class, the counselors helped her to clean out her locker and found every assignment completed and stuffed in there. When graded she got 100% on every one of them. She did have to learn to finish things. She would start a book and give so much detail that you couldn’t stop reading and then she would have a new idea and start another book before she finished the 1st one. She would get half way through learning a song and then start another. She has since learned to finish, but not yet perfect. These are skills she is learning. She is medicated, takes Concerta 54mg/day and can still hyperfocus. During the summers we go unmedicated for a “break”. This summer we took a break but also incorporated magnesium/B6 treatment for ADHD. It worked well to calm her but it did disrupt the hyperfocus a bit. fficeffice" />>>
Old 09-05-12, 01:39 AM
Jr Member

ddarco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
ADHD Children may have an amazing ability to hyperfocus on a computer game, one of the few things that moves fast enough to maintain their attention, unlike homework or routine chores.

It's not that it "moves fast enough" but that the reward is tangible enough and comes quick enough.

Hello all, new to the forums and you might be able to tell I am ADD and have a hyperfocus on theory and philosophy lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to ddarco For This Useful Post:
catrenn (10-28-12)