ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-16, 10:35 AM
Jr Member

randomguy1235 has a spectacular aura aboutrandomguy1235 has a spectacular aura about
Re: A few blurbs I found regarding Hyperfocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashachu View Post
Not to burst everyones bubble, but hyper focusing is not a real thing for ADD. Hyper-focusing is for autism. We call it perseveration, he should have been out for the bus 20 minutes ago. That's not hyper focusing that's the inability to switch tasks.

Source:
The commenters below the video are so profoundly stupid it's unbelievable. They assume they're more knowledgeable than Dr. Barkley because they took offense to the idea that hyperfocus is a baseless myth...
Old 03-22-16, 10:56 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,105 Times in 15,355 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguy1235 View Post
The commenters below the video are so profoundly stupid it's unbelievable. They assume they're more knowledgeable than Dr. Barkley because they took offense to the idea that hyperfocus is a baseless myth...
Ive always thought the same thing and made a thread about it awhile back. If I remember correctly I was railed.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
randomguy1235 (03-22-16)
Old 03-22-16, 02:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,399 Times in 5,569 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashachu View Post
Not to burst everyones bubble, but hyper focusing is not a real thing for ADD. Hyper-focusing is for autism. We call it perseveration, he should have been out for the bus 20 minutes ago. That's not hyper focusing that's the inability to switch tasks.

Source:
call it what you want

people with ADHD can focus on things they like to an intense degree

most researchers say the same
Letching Gray (04-28-17), TheGreatKing (03-22-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-16, 03:07 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
call it what you want

people with ADHD can focus on things they like to an intense degree

most researchers say the same
Agreed, happens to me all the time i should know haha
Just saying
daveddd (03-22-16)
Old 03-22-16, 03:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,399 Times in 5,569 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatKing View Post
Agreed, happens to me all the time i should know haha
Just saying
happens to most of us
Old 03-22-16, 03:13 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
happens to most of us
Exactly
Letching Gray (05-02-17)
Old 03-20-17, 06:59 AM

tearsong is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy~Feet View Post
Both research and clinical experience tells us that ADHD Children can exhibit a type of "hyperfocus" - intense concentration and single-minded focus when the activity is very interesting.
Possibly a question which has been asked, but I honestly don't have the patience to wade through 11+ pages of comments...

WHERE is this research?!?

I've been trying to find it, and even within my more EBD-focused peers of the special education graduate program, I'd been laughed at or given disdainful answers ("then there's something else going on!") when I so much as asked about ADHD and hyperfocus once...

(I haven't told them I have ADHD, but I honestly don't feel as though I should have to... But that's a separate issue!)
The Following User Says Thank You to tearsong For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (05-02-17)
Old 03-20-17, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguy1235 View Post
My problem with this video, is that while he explains one idea, that hyperfocus is the inability to task switch, he doesn't explain what the other is.

In most literature I've seen, perseveration is used with autism -- NOT hyperfocus. When they speak about it, perseveration is mainly used in terms of having a specific and in-depth interest... That is, this interest is mostly all you want to talk about, do, read about, etc.

So if he wants to re-define perseveration as the inability to change from one task to another, that's fine, but he's going to have to then tell me what he is defining hyperfocus as...

In either case, it really just sounds like a semantics problem, rather than a "myth"...
Old 03-21-17, 06:13 PM

Also, apologies for ending that last sentence with a preposition... I just can't figure out how to edit a post (if this is possible)...

(I'd say it "won't happen again," but... I'll probably forget to line edit again at some point...)
Old 04-09-17, 06:43 PM

noisette is on a distinguished road

We all know what it means, we have a superpower
Old 04-16-17, 04:47 AM
Contributor

WheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to beholdWheresMyMind is a splendid one to behold

Hyperfocus is not an ADHD-specific characteristic. It is a particular state of mind, or condition of focus that exhibits both beneficial and not so beneficial characteristics.

I've long puzzled over this - some folks love it, some claim they hate it. I've wished I could use it as a tool.

Here's my take on it based on 20+ years of reading articles and listening to lectures (not a formal study - I just get hyperfocused on it for a while )

Barkley says, in his book "Taking Charge of Adult ADHD" that hyperfocus refers to a state of zeroing in on a subject with great intensity. When selectively chosen, it enables a person to solve very difficult problems, get amazingly creative or even zone in on a loved one and listen with great intensity to give them support.

Thom Hartmann, in "ADD: A Different Perspective", claims that neurotypicals can switch from "hunter mode", in which one's attention is constantly switching between objects of focus, to "gatherer mode", which in extreme form is hyperfocus. But those with ADD cannot control which mode they're in...while NTs can.

And as I look at all the myriad claims made of what ADHD causes - this is it. It's not lack of capability - it is lack of ability to choose when to apply it.

Which explains why some with ADHD are very successful and some are not. If a chap named Einstein has ADHD and he is unable to stop his mind from hyperfocusing on physics, he may end up publishing an almost unbelievable, but later substantiated, theory that matter and energy are the same thing. Whereas others, such as myself, are unable to keep our minds from hyperfocusing on why some screws have phillips heads and some have heads requiring a straight screwdriver, which leads to no special beneficial new knowledge.

Barkely seems to have invented a new English word, too, "perseverance" which refers to the inability to "aim" one's hyperfocus.

I've also read books about the lives of highly successful people (not meaning financial, but any kind of success) and in all cases, they had developed a method of hyperfocus, whether they called it that or not. Some called it a spriritual stillness, in which they blocked out everything except the masterpiece they were working on, others called it "forced solitude", but the point for all was to do one, and only one thing, for long enough to make a breakthrough.
The Following User Says Thank You to WheresMyMind For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (04-28-17)
Old 04-28-17, 06:24 PM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

I have come to understand these terms like this. I may be wrong.

perseverance-- means to stick with

perseveration-- means to repeat something over and over

hyperfocus-- in terms of an trait of ADHD, means our natural ability to be absorbed by something we find fascinating or that we like. It is a phenomena for us because we suffer from the inability to direct our attention and maintain it consistently to a crippling degree.
Old 10-03-17, 01:35 AM

spacegrrl is on a distinguished road

I was really surprised to get my diagnosis earlier this year at age 40. I was always high achieving, got mostly As in school, and have been very driven in my career path. I now know that it was this hyper-focus because once I achieved my main career goal, I completely lost focus and felt adrift. Learning about this aspect has allowed me to accept my diagnosis.
Old 12-05-17, 08:07 PM
Jr Member

NightKnight is a jewel in the roughNightKnight is a jewel in the roughNightKnight is a jewel in the rough

Learning about hyperfocus has given me a name for something that had sometimes been a problem in my life. By recognizing what I had, and what activities triggered it, I was able to try and take steps to counter-act it before it could become a problem.

My major problem with hyperfocus is on video games. I grew up playing them, and I still love them now. When I get playing, it's very easy for me to tune out everything and lose track of time. To try and get around this, I can set an alarm for myself at a designated stopping point. I've also put a large clock right above the TV so that it's easier for me to tell at a glance how much time has passed.

Reading is one activity that has gotten my wife a tad frustrated with me. When I get absorbed in a book, I literally CANNOT hear her talking to me. My brain just switches everything off, and it takes a serious effort to penetrate into where my attention is. She sometimes thinks I'm ignoring her on purpose, and I've had to apologize and explain that I really honestly didn't know she was calling me from the next room for the past 5 minutes. A chapter break can be a natural spot for me to sort of mentally "pop up for air" before I dive back in. Otherwise, it's easy for me to lose a good chunk of time in a book.
The Following User Says Thank You to NightKnight For This Useful Post:
stef (12-20-17)
Old 12-20-17, 12:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation

I often hyperfocus on my work, which is a translation consultant (I help people to edit translations of difficult texts in various languages). I am usually able to focus and do a good job, but the downside is that in the process, I block out all other things. When I'm doing translation work, the laundry invariably doesn't get done, I forget to turn on my cell phone, necessary groceries don't get purchased. So, it is kind of a two-edged sword.
stef (12-20-17)