ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 05-26-10, 04:59 PM
Jr Member

Moonlight29 will become famous soon enough
Re: You know your child is ADHD when...

your child is ADHD when...

she brushes her teeth for at least 35 minutes...
she makes faces in her mirrow
she wets her hair and put lotion all over her body-for the 4th time
she speaks with her self
she is loud and makes funny faces sometimes

We say goodnight, cuddle etc, close doors go to bed too - 10 minutes later:
knock knock
you say hmm what?
you open the door and she looks at you and goes : ummmmm sigh*

she had pull ups until 6
and yes we still pee in, with almost 10 !

she is super creative
and BRINGS SNAKES FROGS AND SNAILS IN MY HOUSE under her bed in a box !!!!!!!!!!!
hmmmm :-)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moonlight29 For This Useful Post:
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (06-20-10), Andrea715 (08-02-10), Lady Lark (05-26-10)
Old 05-26-10, 05:00 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

marie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaAugusta View Post

...your phone rings during the school day and you automatically tense up and say a quick prayer.
...and wonder which kid.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marie-johanne For This Useful Post:
HouseFull4+1 (09-24-12), Lady Lark (05-26-10), OnlyMe (08-02-10)
Old 06-15-10, 07:06 AM

johnH is on a distinguished road

Are their special earmuffs for people who are hyper have problems sleeping due to sound?› \OO/› And need to chew on things constantly yes I’m tempted to put the mouse into my mouth.

When your kid is either extremely hyper or extremely depressed.
\OO/› life long pretty much.
and for an adult when you feel lonely because it feels like all the adult people are slugish and boring so you start to hang arround with young kid’s when ever possible.{applies to me}.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-10, 10:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,912 Times in 12,558 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnH View Post
Are their special earmuffs for people who are hyper have problems sleeping due to sound? \OO/ And need to chew on things constantly yes Im tempted to put the mouse into my mouth.

When your kid is either extremely hyper or extremely depressed.
\OO/ life long pretty much.
and for an adult when you feel lonely because it feels like all the adult people are slugish and boring so you start to hang arround with young kids when ever possible.{applies to me}.
I don't know about earmuffs, because of my other sensory issues I couldn't wear something on my head to sleep in. Fortunately, running an electric fan at night blocks out noises enough for me to be able to sleep.

For a long time I couldn't find an ink pen in the house that hadn't been chewed to shreds by my daughter. Over the last year her teeth have gotten so bad that she doesn't chew things so much (she's at the dentist at this moment).

It's common for ADHD kids to enjoy hanging out with older people and for adults with ADHD to hang out with younger folks, even kids. I did that a lot. Now that my grandkids live with me, I seem to get enough of the younger activity without looking for it somewhere else.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 06-17-10, 10:00 AM
ADDvanced Member

Sam I Am is just really niceSam I Am is just really niceSam I Am is just really niceSam I Am is just really nice

This is a great thread.

You know your child is ADHD when...

....crayons are banned because making crayons shavings on the cutting edge of the tape dispenser is irresistible

...these conversations are normal...
M: "we're going out now, please go to the toilet"
DS: "....."
M: " go to the toilet please"
DS: "....."
M: "go to the toilet"
DS: "ok" Heads in direction of bathroom.
Move on a few minutes
M: "Did you go to the toilet?"
DS: "...."
M: "Did you go to the toilet?"
M: "What did I ask you to do?"
DS: "I don't know"
M: "Go to the toilet"
DS: "Oh, ok" Heads off in the direction of the bathroom.
A few more minutes
M: "Did you do what I asked?"
DS: "I can't"
M: "?"
DS: "I don't know what you want me to do"
M: "Go to the toilet"
DS: "Oh" Heads into bathroom.
Next step
M: "Get your coat"
M: "Get your coat on"
DS: "What did you ask me to do?"
M: "Get your coat on"
DS: "Oh, ok" Goes into bathroom and uses the toilet!!!!!!!
-------------------------
M: "Did you do your bathroom jobs?"
DS: "Yes"
M: "Did you wash your face?"
DS: "yes"
M: "I can still see breakfast on it"
DS: "I DID wash my face and then I brushed my hair and the hairbrush hit the 'Dirty Face Button' on my head and made it dirty again!"
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sam I Am For This Useful Post:
branjie (11-05-10), ditzydreamer (06-19-10), HouseFull4+1 (09-24-12), Lady Lark (06-17-10), OnlyMe (08-02-10), scary (12-23-10)
Old 06-19-10, 02:14 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,114 Times in 541 Posts
wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of

You know your child is adhd when...

She acts just like me

okay... just one story...

she used to get soooo excited she'd tape her mouth shut with scotch tape, and/or she'd go into this crazy 'body-wild' dance.
She's learned to contain her enthusiasm a bit since the early years.

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!
The Following User Says Thank You to wsmac For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (06-20-10)
Old 06-20-10, 04:47 PM

Conner's Mom will become famous soon enough

ok here are mine:

1. your son decides the dog smells bad and covers him with an entire bottle of baby powder.

2. he decides to paint the bedroom and everything in it with your $30 tub of Aveno creme, and honestly doesn't know why you're upset about it.

3. he see's nothing wrong with wearing a plastic yellow construction hat, one yellow rubber duck rain boot, and nothing else.

4. you let him go into the men's room by himself in a public area and pray he comes back out with all his clothes still on.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Conner's Mom For This Useful Post:
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (06-20-10), ADHDTigger (07-05-10), ditzydreamer (08-02-10), HouseFull4+1 (09-24-12), Imnapl (06-20-10)
Old 06-20-10, 06:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,053 Posts
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ has disabled reputation

I am not a parent yet.

But, Oh goodness! These posts have reminded me so much of my childhood, I can't resist:

When you find all the toilet paper in the house is stuck using toothpaste to the bathroom wall because she wanted to re-wall paper the bathroom.

When you see your 4 year olds pants weighed down with a big wad of keys and ask where she got them and she tells you she went around asking all the neighbors if they had any extra keys. You ask why, and she says that one of them will open a treasure box some day.

When you can't find any plastic food containers in your house because your kid decided to put them underneath their bed so that the floor won't get wet.

When your kid starts a fire in the back yard. You find a magnifying glass at the scene of the crime and you ask her if why. She says, "it didn't work yesterday before dinner, so I just left the magnifying glass there..."

When your kid plays on the monkey bars for so long she doesn't realize all the skin on her palms is blistered until she starts to walk home.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-05-10), ditzydreamer (08-02-10), Imnapl (06-20-10)
Old 07-05-10, 04:56 PM

backseatparent will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyhermit View Post
When your six-year old still waits until the very last second to run to the toilet (every time), and BARELY makes it, because he can't bother with it until he simply can't hold it anymore.
We have that problem in my house. The kid can't be bothered to pay attention to it, much less come inside to go, so he's occasionally ended up going in his pants at the end of the day.

Quote:
When you see your 4 year olds pants weighed down with a big wad of keys and ask where she got them and she tells you she went around asking all the neighbors if they had any extra keys. You ask why, and she says that one of them will open a treasure box some day.
That one is just adorable.
Old 07-27-10, 05:24 AM

Castaway is on a distinguished road

I absolutely love the image. It often drives me nuts how many times I ask my wee one to get dressed only to find that he has maticulously prepared all the clothes on the floor in a perfect little boy shape. Over the next hour we work on getting the clothes from the pretend little boy onto the real boy! I think permanent ink might be the way to go!

...when your four year old is told to go get dressed, goes into his room for hal an hour, and comes out naked except for being colored with permanent marker from the neck to the knees. FULLY colored. every bit of him. with black marker.

it took weeks for my mom to get it cleaned off. his knees were black for a month.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Castaway For This Useful Post:
ditzydreamer (08-02-10), OnlyMe (08-02-10)
Old 07-27-10, 05:55 AM

Castaway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlcntrygrl View Post
"When your six-year old still waits until the very last second to run to the toilet (every time), and BARELY makes it, because he can't bother with it until he simply can't hold it anymore."

What about when your 8 year old spends 10 minutes standing in your doorway explaining how he has to go too bad, and there's no way he can hold it long enough to go to his bathroom (which btw was closer to him than yours to start with), and therefore has to use yours.
I love this one too (along with the permanent ink story). This happens to me all the time except he runs out of the house in a panic and pees up against the neighbours wall!! I must have a guardian angel as none of my neighbours have spotted to this day. We have three toliets in our house all of which are significantly closer than the neighbours wall!!
Old 07-27-10, 07:32 AM
ADDvanced Member

ladybumble is a jewel in the roughladybumble is a jewel in the roughladybumble is a jewel in the rough

walks down the street singing Lady Gaga and starts doing a dirty poll dance on the nearset lampost and pulling up her dress

or

says 'i've been good today mummy, haven't I mummy'
'yes'
I have been good today mummy'
then turns round and thumps her brother in the face and pokes her tongue out at me
The Following User Says Thank You to ladybumble For This Useful Post:
angora (07-30-10)
Old 07-27-10, 09:08 AM
Jr Member

Kids Think will become famous soon enough

This post takes the cake. It should be made into an eBook or something. Thank you all for sharing and for letting your lighter side show.
Old 07-30-10, 01:11 AM

Raccoon_1 has a spectacular aura aboutRaccoon_1 has a spectacular aura about

*heh* I agree.

When you ask your 5 year old why he plastered himself head to toe with the entire jar of Nutella and he says "Because I did."

He's done the "Mommy!" thing too... Six times in a row! And always ending with "I love you."

When he sees the tears I try not to cry (once in a while I feel so lost about his behaviour) and he hugs me and says "Don't worry, mommy. Today is one of my 'be good' days. I can feel it." ~And then he makes good on that...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Raccoon_1 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (08-05-10), angora (07-30-10), HouseFull4+1 (09-25-12), Tbearsmum (09-27-12)
Old 07-30-10, 06:48 AM
ADDvanced Member

ladybumble is a jewel in the roughladybumble is a jewel in the roughladybumble is a jewel in the rough

my son does the mummy thing ending with I love you lol and he hasn't got adhd, so i think thats just a child thing