ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-08, 01:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

patboul has a spectacular aura aboutpatboul has a spectacular aura about
ADD and success in life (job/family)? Is it possible?

Hello,

This is my fist post. My oldest kids, he is 7 now, got his diagnostic less than a year ago and is being treated with Concerta with very good success. I am currently in the process myself of getting a diagnostic for ADD. I am 35 and I never though that I would be doing this, as nobody ever told me I was hyperactive or anything like that when I was a kid. I went that path after learning more on the condition (I learned it is not just hyperactive behavior) and after my wife repeatedly told me I should check it as it fit my own general behaviors. It is both scary and comforting at the same time as it explained so many things in my life. So far, I managed to succeed in my career, I am the kind to "hyper-focus" on problems and fortunately, this is my main duty at my job: fix problems, react to outage (I am working at a computer help-desk, big company). I have a special job assignment, handling problems no one else want to take, always doing things that get me the "adrenaline rush". After starting the diagnostic process and seeing a neuropsychologist and trying to understand myself better, I realized that my success at my job was not as good as it should be. My organization skills are really poor compare to my co-worker, my desk is a mess, I am often late at meeting... It seems like all my bad behaviors goes "under the radar" because I am so good intellectually at other stuff. My career path is driven by the unconventionnal, high stress, no clear job definition. Briefly: this is not something someone normal would be able to handle for long period.

Now my other life at home. Hard time to focus on home organization. Home improvement project unfinished. Computer desk is a mess (constant with work). I have difficulty staying focus in conversation with my wife because so many thing can distract me...
Home is my main concern right now because I realise my attention is constantly shifting from subject to subject without stopping at what really need to be done... Enough with the "complaint".

Back to the subject of my thread: Does anybody here feel the same way, got some good success at job, a decent family life (although not perfect)?

Sorry for the long post... So many things in my head, I am not used to talk about such things...
Old 03-08-08, 01:44 AM
Contributor

aloha1983 has a spectacular aura aboutaloha1983 has a spectacular aura about
Re: ADD and success in life (job/family)? Is it possible?

Hi Pat you've come to the right place. It sounds like you would be consistent with the diagnosis of ADD, although you'd have to get a professional to diagnose it of course. Remember there is also an inattentive version as well as hyperactive, which often flies under the radar. For me it is genetic too (Dad, myself and half brother have it). It is totally possible to lead a decent existence, but you can be even better if you have ADD and treatment commences. It's still a struggle, yes, but you understand what you are dealing with.

Good luck and check back here any time!
Old 03-08-08, 01:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of

hi patboul
to answer your question .. partly. I have some success in work .. after failed at the university I've had a couple of years in which things became ever more bleak & desperate .. and then my then gf gave me a really lucky kick towards a computer programming course .. and i've been doing that since then, and although there are things that are very hard, there's others that I excel in.
In family life .. not so good yet, but I have hope that things will get better now that I understand myself so much better.

-- the Lay of Leithian. J.R.R. Tolkien

ADD inattentive / dex 60 mg/d

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-08, 03:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

Smile Re: ADD and success in life (job/family)? Is it possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha1983 View Post
Hi Pat you've come to the right place. It sounds like you would be consistent with the diagnosis of ADD, although you'd have to get a professional to diagnose it of course. Remember there is also an inattentive version as well as hyperactive, which often flies under the radar. For me it is genetic too (Dad, myself and half brother have it). It is totally possible to lead a decent existence, but you can be even better if you have ADD and treatment commences. It's still a struggle, yes, but you understand what you are dealing with.

Good luck and check back here any time!
Just got back from an appointment with my Neuropsy. I now have the result from my evaluation. I have the inattentive version, moderate. Just need to find a good doctor now. I have lots of info, some good book. I now need to analyze all this and take the next steps... This is a relief for me. Now I understand.
Old 03-10-08, 05:37 PM
Jr Member

FuzzyMath is on a distinguished road

I worked at Dell, (can i say that?), as an inbound call tech in the XPS queue last year until they laid off the entire department. I am disorganized as well, have trouble with organization and focus. I was always able to focus on a customer's problem intently at times and other times I found it difficult to focus on what the customer was saying depending on the nature of the problem and the customer's attitude. I have been a technical trouble-shooter all my life and am fairly good at it. My problem is focusing on tasks that are routinary or boring. Have had this problem all my life. Many of my teachers suspected ADD/or ADHD and my family doctor diagnosed me as having ADD in the fourth or fifth grade - can't remember now which.
Old 03-12-08, 09:51 AM
Contributor

BethanyBez is on a distinguished road

It is absolutely possible to excel in some or many areas and also have ADD.

Of course, you would probably be functioning even better if you were being treated, either through therapy, medication, or both.

I was an A and B student all my life. Mostly A's. Graduated from college with Honors and landed some great jobs...I feel that I've been very successful in terms of my career. I'm newly married (just under a year now) and my ADD is difficult for me and my husband to handle at times. A lot of the time life in general is just too much for me and I break down. Medication has helped A LOT in this area.

Although I've been "successful," my ADD has made things difficult for me in that at the end of the day, if I'm not on my pills, I'm EXHAUSTED. Every task is so difficult, so painstaking, so agonizing to get through. I lose things all the time. I get bored, and feel like I'm going to go INSANE if I sit at a desk any longer. So yeah, I've done pretty well for myself despite this "disorder," but I could be doing a lot better.

Since starting on Concerta I'm MUCH better off. Especially in terms of my temper problem. ADD makes me angry a lot because I just can't take life anymore! It gets to be too much. Too much mental noise.
Old 03-12-08, 08:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethanyBez View Post
It is absolutely possible to excel in some or many areas and also have ADD.

Of course, you would probably be functioning even better if you were being treated, either through therapy, medication, or both.

I was an A and B student all my life. Mostly A's. Graduated from college with Honors and landed some great jobs...I feel that I've been very successful in terms of my career. I'm newly married (just under a year now) and my ADD is difficult for me and my husband to handle at times. A lot of the time life in general is just too much for me and I break down. Medication has helped A LOT in this area.

Although I've been "successful," my ADD has made things difficult for me in that at the end of the day, if I'm not on my pills, I'm EXHAUSTED. Every task is so difficult, so painstaking, so agonizing to get through. I lose things all the time. I get bored, and feel like I'm going to go INSANE if I sit at a desk any longer. So yeah, I've done pretty well for myself despite this "disorder," but I could be doing a lot better.

Since starting on Concerta I'm MUCH better off. Especially in terms of my temper problem. ADD makes me angry a lot because I just can't take life anymore! It gets to be too much. Too much mental noise.
Thanks a lot, at least I know I am not alone in a similar situation. I have good success at job, been almost always first or second in class until the University.

At home, it is not so bad, although far from perfect. I feel I need to learn many things again. My wife has been my main "organizer" all those years, but now, with 3 kids, I must start to participate more in the home organization and stop being the "fourth kids".

I feel exhausted at the end of the day. All my energy is spent at work thinking and working double as the others for the simplest thing such as maintaining an agenda and getting on time to meeting. When it is too calm and there is not enough action, I get REALLY really bored and start to walk around, forgetting the many tasks that could be done during that time... I must take at least 3 to 4 cups of coffee before getting to work to be in an efficient mood and focus on the tasks. In the afternoon, I must again get some caffeine, otherwise I get distracted and never finish anything.

I like the way you say "Mental noises". I can have a song in my head, thinking about solutions for my work, getting distracted by the TV program my kids are watching, start thinking about it, and then I must try to have a normal conversations with my wife... And the various noises in and around the house, it's like I ear it all!!! I just cannot stop thinking...

I will see the doctor this friday for the medication. I hope I wil get the results you have. As I wrote previously, I just got the results from the neuro-psy and all this is new to me. This forum was one of the best thing I found recently...
Old 03-12-08, 09:55 PM

Persephone will become famous soon enough

Hello Patboul,

It is great that your diagnosis and treatment process are moving along so well.

I know that before I was diagnosed with ADHD, I knew I wasn't amazingly successful but I just kept trying. I failed out of college (twice) then graduated (with honors) and my career, well it's not where I want it to be at yet but every job I get is better than the last one So I think I found success, I just take my own twisted path to get there. Now that I am diagnosed and being treated, the path is much easier for me.

Good luck with your medication. It can make a huge difference. Also the ideas and support on these forums also make a difference.

Persephone
Old 10-17-09, 05:54 PM
Jr Member

Hetwoman is on a distinguished road

ADHD / ADD is a checklist of sympoms and these vary from individual to individual often people with symptoms link in to support groups which focus on symptoms which then get worse or manifest for the person concerned.
The real key to this whole thing and how well people cope with these conditons is how problem focused they become and how willing they are to shift to a solution focused perspective,
Old 10-17-09, 08:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly possible to be successful and still have ADHD. It's remarkably less likely, however.
Old 10-17-09, 08:30 PM

fasetdi2000 is on a distinguished road

My neurologist has ADD/ADHD.

You can be successful and have it, though it was fun having appointments with him as a kid because 1/2 hour appointments would run often 45 minutes, an hour, sometimes longer. Lol...