ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-15, 02:29 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,793 Times in 8,904 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation
Re: Diet and ADHD

Real vs. processed is better recognized and processed by your body. I am speaking from personal experience. Our bodies are living things. We are attempting to nurture it with things created in a plant from artificial materials. It simply cannot healthily process this stuff, no matter how much we wish to believe it can, based on some alphabet agency saying it's 'safe for consumption'.

Nutrients from other real and living sources provide what our bodies thrive on and recognize, such as fruits, vegetables, etc. These are much more healthily processed and cause much less long-term damage. Results may vary based on particular dietary needs, such as diabetes.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Delphine (10-24-15), SB_UK (02-05-15)
Old 02-05-15, 05:54 AM

Thanked 6,502 Times in 4,746 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation

Echoing above ^^^

Drop all nightshades (potato,tomato)
Drop wheat
rye seems fine (contains gluten)
increase soluble fibre (onion family + jerusalem artichokes)
increase green pigment
increase probiotic (kimchi)

What do I think is happening ?
Pro-inflammatory state caused by food which is eroding our capacity to think.
Heightened sense of 'stress', loss of memory.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SB_UK For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (05-17-15), Unmanagable (02-05-15)
Old 02-05-15, 07:39 AM

This kinda' idea:
Quote:
A raft of studies suggests that chronic inflammation in the brain may be an underlying cause of problems so widespread, we've come to think of them as normal, like anxiety, fatigue, depression, and pain.
http://www.prevention.com/health/hea...and-depression

nightshade family - who'd have thought ?

still testing.
The Following User Says Thank You to SB_UK For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (02-05-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-15, 09:24 AM

In this Foundation's studies with thousands of arthritic people over some 40+ years, it appears that nightshades (with or without tobacco) can cause a number of key human diseases other than arthritis. They could be the Number One world health problem today, causing a tremendous increase in health problems and costs as their production and consumption steadily increase. We were not born to be sick. There is something causing the increasing health problems today. It could well be the food nightshades as we now know what their relative tobacco can do to our health.
http://noarthritis.com/vitaminD3.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to SB_UK For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (02-05-15)
Old 05-17-15, 09:37 AM
ADDvanced Member

Cotter67 is on a distinguished road

what about advice for someone on Dexedrine ir? avoid vitamin c and acidic foods? I know what drinks to avoid, but what about food? what food doesn't contain vitmamin c and isn't acidic
Old 10-24-15, 12:34 AM

SilentDaddy is on a distinguished road

I noticed that when my daughter went gluten free, she was much calmer in between the times she takes her medication. It did seem to help but for obvious reasons a difficult diet for a 12 year old.

Is it me and wishful thinking or was there really an improvement?
The Following User Says Thank You to SilentDaddy For This Useful Post:
Delphine (10-24-15)
Old 10-24-15, 04:35 AM
Contributor

Delphine is a splendid one to beholdDelphine is a splendid one to beholdDelphine is a splendid one to beholdDelphine is a splendid one to beholdDelphine is a splendid one to beholdDelphine is a splendid one to beholdDelphine is a splendid one to behold

Ever before knowing I have AdHD, I've always felt generally better when eating foods that are as close as possible to their natural state - plenty of fresh foods.

Remembering to drink enough water, certain supplement, oils etc. helps a lot too.
I feel more clear headed, more able to organise myself, more 'together'.

But then again, I also wonder is that partly because of prioritising self-care?

Regulating diet takes a lot of care and attention, and people like care and attention - whether a child's special diet that requires individual attention, or ourselves, or any adult; we all thrive on a bit of care and attention in any area.

Because, I also began to notice that when I commit my attention to another beneficial area... ie, keeping my bedroom or clothing in order, or committing to a daily walk..... then I also feel a lot better.

- Very much like the feelgood feelings I get when paying attention to wholesome diet.

Problem is, it's hard for me to keep my attention there (on diet, or tidying said bedroom, or daily walk) consistently enough.

While the benefit is great, often the trying to organise it is stressful, which negates some of the good.

All in all, I do think that it's a no-brainer that eating fresh, wholesome foods is better for anyone's body and brain than a heavily processed diet - despite all those tasty additives
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delphine For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (10-17-16), stef (10-24-15)
Old 10-25-15, 02:21 AM
ADDvanced Member

Abcdef is a jewel in the roughAbcdef is a jewel in the roughAbcdef is a jewel in the rough

Tbh no food is 100% good/safe these days!

There's mercury in tuna, arsenic in Chicken, artificial hormones in beef, bags of salad that are doused in chlorine and even rice has arsenic in it as well.

Try and eat as healthy as you can and remember too much of anything is bad for you.

It won't do any harm to have a McArsenic Sandwich or a Big Hormone Burger every now and then

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abcdef For This Useful Post:
Delphine (10-25-15), Socaljaxs (10-28-15)
Old 10-25-15, 09:01 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

I've learned that even in moderation, bad chemical reactions remain bad chemical reactions, and our body still doesn't know how to healthily process the food-like substances.

After removing the various processed mcmeals from my plate, trying to re-introduce any of it creates gut explosions on a level never before experienced.

Well, I take that back, they WERE experienced before, but I just chalked it all up to, "Gee, I must have picked up a stomach bug"....or......"Wow. I must have got food poisoning from that s*** I ate". Our poor innards and bodies. Overworked and misunderstood.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
Socaljaxs (10-28-15), stef (10-25-15)
Old 10-25-15, 09:36 AM
ADDvanced Member

Abcdef is a jewel in the roughAbcdef is a jewel in the roughAbcdef is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unmanagable View Post
I've learned that even in moderation, bad chemical reactions remain bad chemical reactions, and our body still doesn't know how to healthily process the food-like substances.

After removing the various processed mcmeals from my plate, trying to re-introduce any of it creates gut explosions on a level never before experienced.

Well, I take that back, they WERE experienced before, but I just chalked it all up to, "Gee, I must have picked up a stomach bug"....or......"Wow. I must have got food poisoning from that s*** I ate". Our poor innards and bodies. Overworked and misunderstood.
I vaguely remembering you posting about one of your McExplosion's in the 'what's bothering you right now' thread

Some people can process certain foods better than others.

Remember a guy ate nothing but McD's for 30 days straight?.....he never died but his health seriously took a hit.

If someone wants to treat themselves to something that is deemed unhealthy once and a while so be it, variety is the spice of life and food is one of life's pleasures

N.B My bodyfat is well within the normal range right now.......just in case you thought I typed that with a cheeseburger in one hand ha!
The Following User Says Thank You to Abcdef For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (10-25-15)
Old 10-25-15, 10:26 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Defining and thinking about the word "treat" and how we use it brought about one of the biggest changes I experienced. Was I really treating myself to joy and good things? Hell no I wasn't. I was creating even more massive toxic waste and build up, on so many levels, in so many layers.

According to merriam webster, one of the definitions, as it most applies to the food scene, is:
Quote:
to pay another's expenses (as for a meal or drink) especially as a compliment or as an expression of regard or friendship
We humans tend to think of the most destructive things as being worthy of celebration. I no longer think of cake/cupcakes as an expression of friendship or thoughtfulness. I see it as an expression of death. Made with all dead foods. Oh boy, let's celebrate with some artificial death, y'all. Not. lol I think back on the foods I most often used to celebrate and realize they're the ones that hurt the most and create an obstructive healing crisis that takes days to recover from.

The expense of the treat isn't simply monetary, it's the expense of our health, albeit a long, slow, and often subtle build up, especially if you are lucky enough to not be highly sensitive. Sure it remains a choice, as it should. I just get frustrated with the lack of information shared regarding the actual nourishment part and the lack of acknowledged connections that remain at the root of so many problems.

The personal mental and physical challenges of making myself drastically change everything I was taught and comfortable with regarding food and drink was so deeply ingrained that it was a hell of a lot easier to just keep taking something(s) for the multiple symptoms that repeatedly pop up as a result of what we choose to ingest and absorb into our beings. Basic human nature trips us up more often than we realize. We remain in our own way for quite a long while.

Abcdef (10-25-15), Socaljaxs (10-28-15)
Old 10-25-15, 11:36 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
I no longer think of cake/cupcakes as an expression of friendship or thoughtfulness. I see it as an expression of death. Made with all dead foods. Oh boy, let's celebrate with some artificial death, y'all. Not.lol
What?? lol

I take it you are a vegan Unmanageable?

You don't follow that banana girl from Australia do you?

Last edited by Greyhound1; 10-25-15 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: Removed slang
Old 10-25-15, 12:00 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdef View Post
What?? lol

I take it you are a vegan Unmanageable?

You don't follow that banana girl from Australia do you?
Hahahaha!! That's the reaction I get from 95% of the people I cross paths with. Most especially those who know how I used to eat. I'm now the oddball, even more so than usual. I don't like the vegan label because it turns too many brains off before they get a chance to innerstand.

Plant based eating....mostly fruits and veggies.....some seeds and nuts...some beans....the occasional tofurkey meat like substance to satisfy cravings...and I eat absolutely nothing that I can order through my car window. lol

I make it a point to eat mucus less and mucus lean foods......and I'm not familiar with a crazy banana girl from down under, but I do love me some bananas.....but only if they're ripe, which is technically considered "over ripe" at most groceries, which means I get frequent discounts. lol

Energy restored, fog mostly lifted, 75 lbs of excess weight dropped, thus far, and meal prep is getting easier with practice. Hubster has lost weight, improved a couple medical issues, and even got rave reviews from his regular doc, a cardiologist and a gastroenterologist for the changes we've made, saying they wish more patients would simply choose to change diets instead of so heavily relying on doctors for a quick and permanent fix that isn't realistic without a solid nutritional foundation. (Well speak up docs, and share that with the powers that be, and most of all, with your patients!!)

It took me 48 years to find what I am discovering to be the best of me. I'm sort of angry at the BS we're misleadingly taught as being healthy. But I'm even more grateful I finally discovered my personal formula for health before I became too unwell to gain any momentum with it. The road to wellville often and easily shifts to hellville. Beep beep!

Last edited by Greyhound1; 10-25-15 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: Removed slang in quote only for consistency
The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Abcdef (10-25-15)
Old 10-25-15, 02:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Hahahaha!! That's the reaction I get from 95% of the people I cross paths with. Most especially those who know how I used to eat. I'm now the oddball, even more so than usual. I don't like the vegan label because it turns too many brains off before they get a chance to innerstand.

Plant based eating....mostly fruits and veggies.....some seeds and nuts...some beans....the occasional tofurkey meat like substance to satisfy cravings...and I eat absolutely nothing that I can order through my car window. lol

I make it a point to eat mucus less and mucus lean foods......and I'm not familiar with a crazy banana girl from down under, but I do love me some bananas.....but only if they're ripe, which is technically considered "over ripe" at most groceries, which means I get frequent discounts. lol

Energy restored, fog mostly lifted, 75 lbs of excess weight dropped, thus far, and meal prep is getting easier with practice. Hubster has lost weight, improved a couple medical issues, and even got rave reviews from his regular doc, a cardiologist and a gastroenterologist for the changes we've made, saying they wish more patients would simply choose to change diets instead of so heavily relying on doctors for a quick and permanent fix that isn't realistic without a solid nutritional foundation. (Well speak up docs, and share that with the powers that be, and most of all, with your patients!!)

It took me 48 years to find what I am discovering to be the best of me. I'm sort of angry at the BS we're misleadingly taught as being healthy. But I'm even more grateful I finally discovered my personal formula for health before I became too unwell to gain any momentum with it. The road to wellville often and easily shifts to hellville. Beep beep!
Hear ya on the vegan label.

The majority of the vegans that I've seen on YouTube are a bit eccentric. They make it seem like you don't have a choice in the matter when it comes down to foods, quite forceful.

The reason I watched them was because I considered going vegan myself at one point for the health benefits. I was put off by the lack of variety and dense protein options.

The Banana girl claims to eat up to 50 bananas a day on this rawtill4 vegan diet. 50 nanas?? That would be about 5000 calories alone....they have 3 types of sugar in them, lactose, fructose and glucose....their eaten by tennis players for a quick source of energy lol Not really a good diet food. She's fooled people into believing this crap....not long after they post angry videos when they piles on the pounds

Congrats on the weight loss and feeling better overall. I'm not completely ruling out the vegan diet....I keep thinking to myself when I'm older I'll regret not doing something like this earlier.

I could always try pescetarian-veggie-vegan in that order...kind of work my way up eventually.

Btw I like my bananas mean and green
The Following User Says Thank You to Abcdef For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (10-25-15)
Old 10-25-15, 06:03 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdef View Post
Hear ya on the vegan label.

The majority of the vegans that I've seen on YouTube are a bit eccentric. They make it seem like you don't have a choice in the matter when it comes down to foods, quite forceful.

The reason I watched them was because I considered going vegan myself at one point for the health benefits. I was put off by the lack of variety and dense protein options.

The Banana girl claims to eat up to 50 bananas a day on this rawtill4 vegan diet. 50 nanas?? That would be about 5000 calories alone....they have 3 types of sugar in them, lactose, fructose and glucose....their eaten by tennis players for a quick source of energy lol Not really a good diet food. She's fooled people into believing this crap....not long after they post angry videos when they piles on the pounds

Congrats on the weight loss and feeling better overall. I'm not completely ruling out the vegan diet....I keep thinking to myself when I'm older I'll regret not doing something like this earlier.

I could always try pescetarian-veggie-vegan in that order...kind of work my way up eventually.

Btw I like my bananas mean and green
Thanks for the congrats. It continues to blow my mind in the best of ways.

Makes my belly hurt just thinking about a green or yellow banana. I used to eat them right after they turned yellow. Spots all the way, now, baby. No wonder peeps get sick from the bananas, hardly anyone allows them to get to the proper level of ripeness.

Peeps also try to do way too much too soon when they start different diets or so called detoxes, etc. and end up making themselves miserable and sick, then blame the fruits and veggies. It's a vicious cycle with so much to learn. It doesn't suit our desire to attain a quick fix with little effort.

Done wisely, intuitively, slowly, and with the only intent being improved overall health, nutritional transformation can rock your f'n world. Or not. Mileage varies, as with everything else. But it has to be an entire lifestyle transformation, not just adding a few things here and there and then discounting an entire process.

But first, we have to be okay with unlearning what we think we already know. And that's the part where we tend to get, and remain, in our own way.

A year ago, I would have told folks they were f'n nuts if they said I'd be eating this way now. I likely would have been chowing down on a big ol' rib-eye or hamburger steak and gravy, with mashed potatoes loaded with butter and some milk and some more gravy, and washing it down with a cold beer in the tall giant glass, or sweet tea, or a soda.

Then experiencing digestive hell afterward, but not realizing what exactly was happening within my innards. Now that I know better, and feel so much better, I have to do better. My body lets me clearly know, especially now that I've cleaned out more debris and can listen more intently. Best of luck if/when you decide to embark on a nutritional adventure.

Abcdef (10-25-15), stef (10-25-15)