ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-08, 07:48 PM
Contributor

Tilly will become famous soon enough
Re: Diet and ADHD

Zack's mom, that's a great video. I wish we weren't gluten free. It would be alot of fun to show it to my kids.

I hope someday we aren't gluten free anymore. We'll see. Fingers crossed.

It's great that Zack is open to eating more foods. One of the things that often worries parents who are considering trying diet is that their child is a picky eater. They are very concerned that their kid won't have anything to eat. But I hear stories like yours all the time. Kid's become open to more foods. I think they are craving the foods that are bad for them.

Fly 20- I hope you are still lurking here. I just noticed on your post that you are eating a protein bar. I missed your list when I read it before. I forget does the south beach bar have soy in it? You should look at the individual list of ingredients and see if anything makes sense. I'm not sure what's in the water.

I recently discovered Odwalla protein bars. I can't remember if they are all natural or organic, but for 250 calories you get 16 grams of protein. Sometimes I don't have time to eat so I bought them for when I'm on the run. Unfortunately they aren't cheap, but I figure I'm replacing a meal with them.

For a high protein breakfast I give my son eggs and sausage. Amy's makes a breakfast burrito. I'm not sure if they carry them at most groceries. They have them in singles at whole foods.
Old 09-25-08, 07:52 PM
Contributor

Zack's mom, did you see this link in the advocacy section about reporting reactions to artificials?
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56356

I did it and it was easy to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tilly For This Useful Post:
ZachsMom (09-29-08)
Old 09-29-08, 01:06 PM

ZachsMom is on a distinguished road

Hi Tilly!

Yes I sure did and already filled out the form and submitted it!

So good to see things like that. Did you also fill out the petition? I am in Canada and am not sure I qualify to submit one, but I'm doing it anyway!!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-08, 05:26 PM

daniellealysa is on a distinguished road

Hi everybody,

I have been reading a bit in Dr. Amen's book about nutritional plans for people with ADD. He usually seems to recommend The Zone for most ADD types, however not for me (likely Type 3 and Type 6.) In that case he recommends a healthy, balanced diet that is not high protien and low carb. Over the last year I have been eating low carb and high protien and taking supplements through Herbal Magic. It has helped me to lose 50 pounds but is likely not helping me with ADD. Does anybody have ADD similar to me that has found a diet plan that works for them?

Thank you for anything you have to share!
The Following User Says Thank You to daniellealysa For This Useful Post:
Tilly (10-19-08)
Old 10-03-08, 05:34 PM
Contributor

20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light

What are these types you are talking about? I only know of attention, hyepactive and combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellealysa View Post
Hi everybody,

I have been reading a bit in Dr. Amen's book about nutritional plans for people with ADD. He usually seems to recommend The Zone for most ADD types, however not for me (likely Type 3 and Type 6.) In that case he recommends a healthy, balanced diet that is not high protien and low carb. Over the last year I have been eating low carb and high protien and taking supplements through Herbal Magic. It has helped me to lose 50 pounds but is likely not helping me with ADD. Does anybody have ADD similar to me that has found a diet plan that works for them?

Thank you for anything you have to share!

Follow this to the ADD Forums Get Fit Club:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...682#post627682
The Following User Says Thank You to 20trackedmind For This Useful Post:
The ADHD Fan (10-04-08)
Old 10-04-08, 12:04 AM

Dr. Amen talks about the 6 types of ADD: Classic (ADHD), Inattentive, Overfocused, Limbic, Temporal and Ring of Fire. I am overfocused and ring of fire. These are based on his research with brainSPECT scans.
The Following User Says Thank You to daniellealysa For This Useful Post:
20trackedmind (10-04-08)
Old 10-04-08, 12:14 AM
Contributor

The ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of lightThe ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of lightThe ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of lightThe ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of lightThe ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of light

I have actually had some success with "The Zone Diet" (aka the 40/30/30 diet cooked up by Barry Sears).
The Following User Says Thank You to The ADHD Fan For This Useful Post:
Tilly (10-19-08)
Old 10-04-08, 12:33 AM

Right on, I was looking into The Zone. Dr. Amen recommends that often as well.
Old 10-05-08, 11:30 PM

dorian_deficit is on a distinguished road

You're eliminating all the pent up "bad" stuff from your system when you embark on a lifestyle that includes healthier eating choices. The bad stuff has to come out of your system somehow, right? If you're currently at a stage where you're continually fuelling your cells with pure nutrition (living foods), your body now intuitively wants to flood out the accumulated waste that existed there before and was being fed by more non-nutritious food. And when that non-nutritous debris that was rotting there does exit.. your body is going to respond accordingly: headaches, constipation, lethargy, feeling like crap, etc.

Also, it's entirely dependent upon how quickly you assume that new, "healthy" menu. Your body is then having to adjust almost instantaneously and all those built up toxins hit you like a ton of bricks; so that you're almost feeling as if your best health efforts have, in fact, MADE YOU SICK, when really.. they haven't at all-- you just have to plod through the inevitable phase referred to as detox before you can see the light.

Anyone into raw foods here?
The Following User Says Thank You to dorian_deficit For This Useful Post:
ZachsMom (10-09-08)
Old 10-07-08, 02:33 PM
Contributor

20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light20trackedmind is a glorious beacon of light

Hey guys and gals, I found this candy maker website on my FG newsletter and checked it out. Even if you are not into FG, this site has some great candy for halloween that is all natural. I could not beleive the selection. I am from a small town in Texas, so finding food that I do not have to make myself can be a challenge. Just thought I would pass it along. I think any parent can feel better about giving treats that lack additives in them.

http://www.squirrels-nest.com/index....atalog.catalog

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 20trackedmind For This Useful Post:
Tilly (10-12-08), ZachsMom (10-09-08)
Old 10-12-08, 03:40 AM

Coldhandedman will become famous soon enough

I actually went on a really strict "diet" if you want to call it that. It was really just eating healthy. I went 6 months (yes 6 in a row) without eating a single piece of candy, icecream, cake, pie, deserts, donuts, poptarts, pizza, french fries, handburger, or anything fried.

I ate everything whole grain or whole wheat and stuff that wasn't processed.

No soda, or caffeinated drinks.

(I have been off carbonation for more than a year now)

Did I find that my ADHD was any better?

Nope. Nor did I do it to try that, I did it to lose weight and be healthier.

I lost 25lbs. Now I am getting back to eating some of the stuff.... just trying to limit it.

I think that sugar might play a role with some young children going to school, but I know that it isnt the blame for my ADHD.

Eating healthy like I did however, will give you more alertness when it comes to physical energy.

Simple carbs (processed sugary carbs) tend to bog you down and make you sluggish.

Oh... I was also basically off Dairy aswell.... I had it here and there but not very much. I supped with calcium pills and I was also taking a 1 a day pills.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coldhandedman For This Useful Post:
The ADHD Fan (10-28-08), Tilly (10-19-08)
Old 10-12-08, 08:06 PM
Contributor

Sorry I haven't been keeping up here.

I don't know anything about the zone diet or Dr. Amen, so I don't have comments.

20 track, I've ordered from squirells nest, and it is good stuff. A case of yummy earth pops have lasted me over a year. You can get a feingold discount on a case of pops btw.

Foods can effect a person for a variety of reasons. There can be allergies, digestive issues and absorption issues.

I suspect my son has a couple different problems. But one thing I am certain is that he has food allergies. I've always looked for a link from food to behavior, but recently I decided to get professional help from a doctor who is experienced in the dietary connection to behavior.

At the end of August I went to a medical doctor who practices integrative medicine. She did a whole bunch of testing and some day I'll get around to posting the results in the alternative section.

My son absolutely reacts to artificial ingredients. I know that from doing Feingold. But he reacts to natural foods as well. I went to the doctor knowing this, but not entirely understanding everything.

BTW about 2 years ago I asked my pediatrician for a blood rasp allergy test. Which she did, but she only did the immeadiate response test, which is the IGE. She also didn't test for molds.

My Integrative doctor did the rast testing, but she did did both the IGE (immeadiate) and the IGG (delayed) test. She also tested for molds.

FYI the scores for allergy testing are 0- no allergy, 1- low allergy, 2-moderate allergy, 3- highly allergic, 4-extremely allergic.

The recent IGE test shows that my son is highly allergic to 4 different types of molds that are found in the environment and in food. He scores a 4 meaning highly allergic. This makes complete sense to me.

I had long ago noticed that my son reacted to Pirate Booty popcorn. I never understood why. I tested it many many times. He would get unfocused, hyper, frustrated and emotional. I took it away for 6 months and later on forgot and started buying it again, and same thing. Was it the corn, the butter? I just didn't get it, but I vowed never to buy it again.

Another time I went to the movies. My son was sitting perfectly normal in the theatre. I gave him my homemade popcorn with organic butter and parmesian cheese. Within minutes he was running up and down the stairs like a mad man. There was no way I could get him to stop. It was an extreme reaction.

After that I said no more popcorn and I really just never understood why. He ate fritos and corn chips fine. He is not big on dairy. Except yogurt, but I'll get to that later.

The last thing I want to say is that my dad has a mold allergy. And just so you know other than the one time itching James has not had any traditional allergy symptoms. Not even a sniffle, sneeze or itchy eye.

Also Kindergarten has been his toughest year in school. In part I was adjusting to FG. We went gluten free about 6 weeks before the end of school and the teacher started giving better reports a week later.

But I also know they had mold in the classroom. They used to try to cover it up with an air stinkener. They told me it was in the ceiling or the walls or something. I never knew that could cause behavior problems. So maybe the nice weather at the end of the school year meant more time outside, and more fresh air through open windows. Who knows, just a thought.

That's pretty much all that came up from the IGE test. He does have a borderline sugar allergy though.
--------------------------------------------------

Tis is the results from my IGG or delayed allergy test.

One problem with a delayed allergy is that it can happen days later, so it can be hard to notice the connection.

Wheat (1)- He has responded to a gluten free diet.
Milk (1)- He has a strong distaste for milk. I took yogurt away as a precaution last year, but I'll talk about that later.
almonds (2)- he hates them.
oats (1)- He doesn't really eat them. In the past a little oat meal, but I never noticed anything.
carrots (2)- never noticed
potato (2)- never noticed.
rice (1)- never noticed
soy (2)- never noticed
oranges (2)- definately noticed in kindergarten. He got crazy when I would bring home boxes of clementines. He would eat 2 or 3 a day for a week. Even his teacher noticed the difference. She would say "have you been feeding James differently".
white bean (2)- doesn't really eat them.
tomatos (3)- he eats a normal amount of ketchup on occasion and occasional barbacue sauce. I really had no clue about the tomato problem, but it now makes sense to me.

A few weeks ago he went to town eating salsa. I was thrilled because I thought it was so healthy. Now I can't say for sure because I wasn't looking to make a connection, but he had a horrible night at home and the next day had to go to the principles office because he got in trouble 5 times. He was itchy all week. No rash or hives. I knew it was a reaction, but I couldn't understand why he would all of a sudden have itching. It was all over his body, but particularly his nose, which Doris Rapp refers to as the "allergic salute". Now that I know he has a tomato allergy my theory is that the amount and freshness of the tomatos caused this type of a more severe reaction. I guess I'll never know, because I won't be testing it anytime soon.

When my son got sent to the principles that day his teacher called me. She said he was not focused, not following rules, and not listening. I didn't make the connection to the salsa because I didn't know he had a problem with tomatos. Anyway she basicly said he had been having problems the entire year so far and this was an extremely bad day.

I really couldn't understand it. His teacher last year said she didn't have these kinds of problems with James. Or did she, but her expectations were different? It's a new school year and a new teacher. Did he have this problem all along? I sorted through alot of questions. His new teacher discussed it with his old teacher and it sounded like he was different.

I was left to think about what was different. And it was yogurt. He didn't eat yogurt all last year. I took it away last year as a precaution, stopped making him drink his milk and gave him a calcium supplement.

Then over the summer I decided to start buying yogurt again. Unfortunately I didn't really think much about it. But I should have becausae his behavior seemed worse. Which is why I made the appointment with this doctor.

I figured we were on vacation eating a bit off diet and I figured the increase in behaviors was from eating off diet. I also thought maybe I wasn't used to having him all day long and it was tiresome. I never even thought about the recent reintroduction of yogurt.

So I told his teacher I was going to take away the yogurt. Now think about what yogurt is. It's a milk product, which he scored a 1 on. Per his doctor it has mold in it. It also has sugar in it and he is borderline sugar allergic. He was eating seriously like 6 tubes of natural yogurt a day.

I took all caesin away which includes yogurt. The next day he got in trouble 4 times. The day after that he got in trouble once and the day after that he completely stopped getting in trouble. He has not gotten in trouble in 3 weeks. He also got a 100 on a spelling test. Like a 92% on another spelling test. He was tested on math skills and he got proficient in all but one catagory. He was measured as developing in one area.

BTW he was tested in reading the 2 days he had the horrible itching reaction. His reading score went from a 12 to a 6. I was horrified. I don't have a new reading score to report, but when I do I will let you know.

I hope this is all making sense to you.

It makes sense to me that I would have noticed the delayed reaction to the oranges because he was eating them everyday for say a week. Also when he used to eat wheat I was making a sandwich everyday. These are delayed reactions, but he basicly would have been eating it too often and he would have been in a constant reaction. So when I removed them I could notice the improvement.

But say tomatos, he would only have them on occasion, so likely he would have an "off" day out of the blue. I wouldn't have made the connection. He doesn't even eat ketchup with alot of foods.

Now I am left trying to rotate these allergic foods and completely remove tomatos and mold. I'm doing okay, but I'm definately not 100%.

Hopefully as he matures and we take care of some of his root problems these allergies will go away or improve.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tilly For This Useful Post:
20trackedmind (10-12-08), auntchris (01-14-10), darkangel999 (11-26-12), FrazzleDazzle (10-12-08)
Old 10-12-08, 09:30 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

DesertDave is just really niceDesertDave is just really niceDesertDave is just really niceDesertDave is just really nice

How much do these IGG and IGE tests cost? I kind of doubt my insurance is going to cover these, although I could be wrong.

Do regular doctors do this or do you go to an allergist or is it just a lab blood test?

This would be way easier than going through an elimination process in my diet. I have started paying a lot more attention when shopping for foods and eliminating the things commonly known to cause problems. But there is a limit to my patience with myself on this.
---! I need to update this. I'll put that on the list

No, I don't proofread my postings. I type, I click submit. Then cringe if I go back & read it later.
The Following User Says Thank You to DesertDave For This Useful Post:
Tilly (10-13-08)
Old 10-13-08, 10:30 AM
Contributor

My insurance did cover my allergy testing. I've had it done twice now because it wasn't done right by my pediatrician. Both times they were covered by insurance.

My pediatrician did a rast test, which is what I asked for. I think my new doctor did a mast test, and I'm not sure if that is because my son is younger and it is a better test for pediatrics.

I just had mine done and will have a follow up appointment in a month.

My understanding is that these are just routine allergy tests that are covered. I'll ask some questions.

It does get tiresome doing eliminations. I certainly never would have figured all the allergies that came out from my son's testing. He was really doing pretty well, so I guess I didn't have much of a push to do it.

But then when I brought that yogurt back in without thinking things got worse. That's what motivated me to get my appointment. I'm so happy that I went. So I guess putting the yogurt back in his diet was really the best thing for us.

My doctor's appointment was also covered by insurance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tilly For This Useful Post:
20trackedmind (10-13-08), DesertDave (10-13-08)
Old 10-13-08, 11:52 AM
Contributor

Tilly, what is involved in this test? My son just had all his shots and I really don't want to have to take him to the doctor again. Is it invasive? Maybe I will wait untill next year when he is 5 at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
My insurance did cover my allergy testing. I've had it done twice now because it wasn't done right by my pediatrician. Both times they were covered by insurance.

My pediatrician did a rast test, which is what I asked for. I think my new doctor did a mast test, and I'm not sure if that is because my son is younger and it is a better test for pediatrics.

I just had mine done and will have a follow up appointment in a month.

My understanding is that these are just routine allergy tests that are covered. I'll ask some questions.

It does get tiresome doing eliminations. I certainly never would have figured all the allergies that came out from my son's testing. He was really doing pretty well, so I guess I didn't have much of a push to do it.

But then when I brought that yogurt back in without thinking things got worse. That's what motivated me to get my appointment. I'm so happy that I went. So I guess putting the yogurt back in his diet was really the best thing for us.

My doctor's appointment was also covered by insurance.