ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-10, 10:22 AM

Wild will become famous soon enough
Re: Diet and ADHD

In researching the area of nutrition and ADHD, the most reliable book I've found is one titled the How To Cure Hyperactivity book (1981)(about ADHD Inattentive) which contains a foreword by Anita Uhl Brothers, M.D. It is about completely hidden food additives including FD&C Yellow Food Color No. 5 - tartrazine - and the artificial sweetener, sodium saccharin. Dr. Anita Uhl Brothers, M.D. calls for full disclosure ingredient labeling for all drugs and foods. It's the only reliable account I've found and it does not make the big mistake - which some books do - of falsely claiming that food additives cause 70% or more of the world's diseases from polio to Parkinson's. Other accounts I've read about the topic I have found unreliable. This account - this How To book - is the real deal about completely hidden food additives and ADHD.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wild For This Useful Post:
ccrose (07-20-11), tinywiney (04-30-10)
Old 06-05-10, 04:52 PM

sans_serif is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Diet and ADHD

First of all, let me say I have food allergies/ intolerances. Therefore, some of your reactions to these foods may not be the same as mine.

I am allergic/intolerant to all dairy products and processed sugars. Dairy is worse than most. The problem when you have an allergy/ intolerance to a food is you crave it and the more you have it, the more you crave. I broke these food addictions by doing a 4 day juice fast and no longer crave these foods.

Dairy is bad for people with ADD because casein in milk and other products creates brain fog. Dairy byproducts also make the body create more mucus. (Don't eat any dairy if you have a cold). My add has gotten much better since I stopped the dairy. Also, eating the foods I'm intolerant to give me migraines. (not fun)! I drink rice dream and substitute olive oil for butter in recipes. It's good, once you get used to the taste.

Processed sugars are also bad and highly addictive. (and also give me migraines).

I am also vegetarian right now, and happy to be. I did it for health reasons and the only foods I miss are bacon and hot dogs (which always make me sick afterwards) (except I do eat sushi occasionally. What's sushi without the fish)? I feel better, for the most part. (Except today i have a cold and am taking it easy, eating little and drinking my amazing decaf green tea).
Old 10-23-10, 06:43 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,022 Times in 360 Posts
Schroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans_serif View Post
First of all, let me say I have food allergies/ intolerances. Therefore, some of your reactions to these foods may not be the same as mine.

I am allergic/intolerant to all dairy products and processed sugars. Dairy is worse than most. The problem when you have an allergy/ intolerance to a food is you crave it and the more you have it, the more you crave. I broke these food addictions by doing a 4 day juice fast and no longer crave these foods.

Dairy is bad for people with ADD because casein in milk and other products creates brain fog. Dairy byproducts also make the body create more mucus. (Don't eat any dairy if you have a cold). My add has gotten much better since I stopped the dairy. Also, eating the foods I'm intolerant to give me migraines. (not fun)! I drink rice dream and substitute olive oil for butter in recipes. It's good, once you get used to the taste.

Processed sugars are also bad and highly addictive. (and also give me migraines).

I am also vegetarian right now, and happy to be. I did it for health reasons and the only foods I miss are bacon and hot dogs (which always make me sick afterwards) (except I do eat sushi occasionally. What's sushi without the fish)? I feel better, for the most part. (Except today i have a cold and am taking it easy, eating little and drinking my amazing decaf green tea).
I also have a dairy allergy, and sensitivity to sugar. How interesting. Have you tried going preservative-free? I have a thread on it here:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82034

After identifying what I believe to be all of my food allergies/intolerances (13 total), I was still feeling very fatigued, even after getting lots of sleep consistently. I noticed that when I ate processed foods, I would get more tired than usual. When I skipped meals, I felt better. The end result is that foods with preservatives makes me tired. I haven't been able to pinpoint which preservatives exactly, but I know it's multiple preservatives. Going off foods with preservatives, additives, dyes, or any kind of chemical processing did the trick pretty well, combined with a reasonable/early bedtime.

You mentioned you're vegetarian, you have to be careful of preservatives in those foods too. I've played with vegetarianism on and off (because it makes me feel a whole lot better, energy-wise) and it's super easy to be a junk-food vegatarian - so many tasty products that have preservatives in them. Since you're already used to watching what you eat, give the preservative-free thing a try and see how you feel, if you suffer from fatigue. It helped me a lot.
ccrose (07-20-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-10, 03:53 PM
Jr Member

Impulsory is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Diet and ADHD

Hi, I was thinking about trying this diet. In the past I was on Ritalin and Cylert. They where very heavy stimulants for me. I was never over hyper for my age, Just having a very hard time staying focused. I would like to say to any one medicating there kid, keep a very close eye on them. I hated the medication and 80% of the time spit it out. The person taking the medication needs to want to take it! I cost my mom a lot of money because of it.
Any way I for the first time in 17years I am again trying medication (Vyvanse). So far so good. I saw this diet searching google and like most things am skeptical about it. I always find myself eating Junk food. Mainly out of convenience.
The reasons I am thinking about trying it are to see if I could feel any healthier then I already am and if it can help me focus better. I also need to figure out how to gain weight as I have always been a toothpick.
I don't know how detailed I want to fallow this diet because I believe most things are good in moderation. I don't drink too much soda (sometimes I do drink a lot of red bull) and I am a moderate drinker when it comes to alcohol.
Any way what I mean by all this is that I eat way too much junk and want too cut down like 90%. I say this because I don't want too cheat myself in a diet. The holiday season is coming and I want too enjoy my family's home cooked food and candy's.
Old 02-11-11, 12:14 AM
Jr Member

DisorganizdMind is on a distinguished road

Today was my first day that I am trying not to eat caffine, sugar and dairy. I did not go 100% without sugar as some things that I had today had a little bit of sugar in them but nowhere near the amount of sugar that I usually consume on a daily basis.

For breakfast I ate bacon and a Special K protein shake the protein shake had a little sugar in it but not a lot. For lunch I had grilled chicken, black beans and fresh strawberries. I also drank water throughout the day and snacked on roasted almonds. For dinner I had grilled chicken again with brown rice and vegetables.

It did seem like I might have been a little more focused today, but mostly I feel like crap. All day I've felt like I'm coming down with a cold and have had a horrible headache for the past several hours. I think that I am probably just going through withdrawal symptoms right now and I'm sure that once I get used to it and start adding more foods into my diet I will start to feel a lot better. One difference that I have noticed already is that at the end of the night I don't feel all wound up and not wanting to go to sleep. I have had a lot of trouble winding down to go to sleep and also staying asleep. My lack of sleep has made my ADHD worse.

I have been on Vyvanse since last year and it made a big difference at first but now I have times when I feel like my ADHD is worse than ever. I think that my diet and lack of sleep and exercise has contributed to that. I just need some relief and I am willing to do whatever I can to see some improvement.
Old 02-12-11, 01:27 AM
Jr Member

DisorganizdMind is on a distinguished road

Today is my second day trying this new diet. I slept like a baby last night which is something that I don't usually do. I usually have trouble falling asleep as well as staying asleep. I felt pretty good today for the most part. I haven't noticed much of a difference as far as attention or focus goes, but I definitely did not feel quite as wound up and hyper as I usually do. It was really hard not to reach for the junk food or a soda but I kept my cool. I developed a headache later in the evening but it is not as bad tonight as it was last night. We'll see how the next week or so goes.
Old 02-21-11, 08:45 PM
Banned

glebo will become famous soon enough

Well, ive been on a elimination diet to to reduce symptoms of my inattention.

I know for me now that pretty much anything that is processed and from what the other posts have said is that coke zero is one of them. And yep i experienced that today infact with the BAD combination of a susuage and egg mcmuffin with 2 hash browns.

After i have eaten that meal today, my whole body became warm, ive developed a sense of anger for no apparent reason and my stomach thinking that it wants to put more fat in which is related to weight. Overall this can lead to anxiety and overall depression in the long run.

Its also funny that today, a program in australia is talking about elimination diet study, so i post the link while its still available.

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/adhd-diet/xvk8khc

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/...emsn_kerrianne.

Funny with the second video, this is the guy who diagnosed me with inattentive add.
The Following User Says Thank You to glebo For This Useful Post:
ccrose (07-20-11)
Old 04-26-11, 04:58 PM

Rick S88 is on a distinguished road

I'm BRAND NEW to this forum, & new to actively seeking help other than meds to improve all areas of my life. I've learned A LOT about nutrition lately & would like to hear what people have found that work to help with our symptoms. Thanks! Rick
Old 05-18-11, 08:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

seamstress will become famous soon enough
B1 (Thiamine) and laziness

I have noticed that I get a boost of energy after taking a maximum potency multivitamin with a B1 (100 mg) supplement? I think I have a thiamine deficiency, which is why I always feel so tired and lazy. Does anyone have a similar experience? Also, I stopped drinking caffeine, because caffeine blocks the absorption of some nutrients. So, I would suggest that everyone stop drinking coffee if they can, in order to benefit more from all the nutritious food that they eat! =)
The Following User Says Thank You to seamstress For This Useful Post:
philuk2000 (08-02-11)
Old 07-20-11, 01:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

ccrose is a jewel in the roughccrose is a jewel in the roughccrose is a jewel in the rough

Bumping up this thread because I'm looking into trying the Feingold diet once I get leveled out on my newest med (otherwise there's no way I'll be able to commit to it).

I found it by accident because I developed a reaction to the yellow dye in my last med (Dextrostat). When looking it up I found that reactions are common in people with aspirin allergy, which I have.

Although my reaction to the dye was mild, and more along the lines of a sensitivity (itching), I thought it important to look into and make sure I wasn't at risk for a serious allergic reaction. Aspirin causes me to have a very difficult time breathing, and I also have an anaphylactic reaction to certain foods.

My doctor confirmed my suspicions, and within about 2 days of switching from the Dex that uses yellow dye to the Adderall that doesn't, I stopped itching. I also asked her about the Feingold diet, especially since I have so many known allergies and sensitivities to drugs and food, and she actually told me that it would be worth a try. She cautioned that it's difficult and time consuming, but that given my history there's a possibility that it could help me. She said if I follow it exactly and it does help, I may be able to get off of medication altogether, or at least be able to reduce my meds. At the very least it can't hurt, and she said it's not harmful, and at the very least getting artificial dyes and flavorings out of my diet isn't exactly a bad thing.

So, that being said, I think I will start to incorporate some of the principles slowly into my routine. I have ordered the materials and am going to take a month to transition into it, knowing that the true trial period will not start until I am on the diet 100%. If I try to quit everything and change my lifestyle cold turkey, even on meds, I am just not going to follow through with it.

If anyone has some experiences they would like to share, good or bad, or tips, I would be interested to find out more. I'm not expecting a miracle, as I'm one to question and doubt everything, but I'm hoping it will do something for me, however small.

Once I start on it I think I will probably start a blog, which I have never done. Now that I have something worthwhile to write about, and could possibly be useful for others, I think it will be a good time to start.
Old 07-20-11, 01:20 PM

DanielDom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
I'm just moving my response over from the school lunch thread to keep the school lunch thread as purely a lunch resource. Honestly this is more fun anyway. But hopefully we'll keep posting lunch ideas and help folks get their kids and themselves eating cleaner foods to improve their health mentally and physically.

4 got again asked about whether there was a true sugar allergy.

Sugar-
We all know the saying sugar makes kids hyper. I'm pretty sure scientists changed their mind on that one, but I don't have the proof or time to look for it.

However, I believe people were associating sugar as making kids hyper because they were becoming hyper after treats, but it's really the other ingredients in the treats that do the damage. So if your kid goes crazy after a bag of m&m's you might think oh it's the sugar. When it's really the red dye, blue dye..... I haven't seen a bag of m&m's in so long I don't know if they even have blue (lol).

A body can be allergic to most anything. So I think for my son he just happens to be borderline allergic to sugar.
I have never noticed a reaction to sugar for him. At home he does not get much sugar at all, just that one dessert. Of course there is sugar in yoghurt etc. I really don't let him have cereal much. And I mostly stay away from corn syrup. So on an average day he does not get alot of sugar.

Even when he is at a party and has alot of clean sugar treats I do not notice a reaction.

But it does make me wonder if I could be truely allergic where this is often hereditary and I crave it so much. Compaired to his borderline allergy.

I often crave sugar when my eating habits go down the tube. When I drank caffinated coffee it was even worse. And I think when I start eating carbs I crave sugar too.

I'm going on a health kick as soon as my sprained ankle heals and I can exercise. I'm kind of all or nothing. Or maybe just an excuse to have more cake. probably the later. Must have sugar....

I highly reccomend allergy testing. It didn't do much for us because the foods my son has intolerances to did not show up on a test. But I know for many they do.
You're right. Sugar is not what effect the kids hyperness. Children have been consuming for many year with no adverse effects. i grew up on sugar! It wasn't until later that i developed ADD. There needs to be more infrmation on what foods/diets can contribute to ADD/ADHD. Now all doctors wish to do is throw a pull at you and say 'here you go!'
Old 07-20-11, 06:08 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,115 Times in 15,360 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that there was no evidence to support any statements that certain foods contribute to or cause adhd. Maybe i'm wrong?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-20-11, 06:33 PM

DanielDom is on a distinguished road

With ADDHD artificial sweeteners like the plague. Your body doesnt know how to break down these sugars properly which creates extreme listlessnessl Hell all i have had in the last month is straight up water. I had no flavor, but it's best think for your body. If you must drink soda get sugar free decaffeinated beverages. They task like crap, gut it's better than chugging a 20oz Pepsi!

The best way to eat is small snacks and meals throughout the day. Nuts have a lot of protein in them, and let's face it, YUM!
Old 08-02-11, 03:32 PM

philuk2000 will become famous soon enough

Food certainly *do* affect my ADHD. E133 (Brilliant Blue) and E102 (Tartrazine - Yellow) both found in certain makes of Mushy Peas to make them that luminous green colour affect me within 20 minutes of consumption - I go rather crazy.

Caffine is another trigger of mine that I am sensitive too, I get the focus but then get very bad mood swings.

See me on Vodka with Red Bull! Thats something special - I'm glowing with radiant energy and feel like i'm on another planet - and I talk everyone to death!!!!

Even sulfites in red wine affect me adversly days after.

I eat and drink very basic foods now, I try only to drink water which I filter and eat whole foods where possible, this have worked wonders - especially removing caffine from my diet - it doesn't stop me from procrastinating though which is a might shame!!
The Following User Says Thank You to philuk2000 For This Useful Post:
LaVieEnRose (08-02-11)
Old 09-22-11, 10:28 PM

DenaRenee is on a distinguished road

I've read the last few pages of posts and you are all very well informed about your sensitivities, etc. So... how would a beginner start figuring out what I'm sensitive to, if anything?

I've heard that you should eat one thing (can't remember what it was) for a week or two to clean out your system and then gradually add back one thing at a time for a week to see how you react to it. Then if all is well, you add another item for a week. Etc... Honestly, this is would be too difficult for me to stick to.

What do you recommend?