ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-11, 08:48 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diet and ADHD

I've been drinking about five or six bottles of water a day for a little while now, and I've noticed a difference in how my body feels.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
Bethylphenidate (08-09-13), C8H10N4O2 (10-16-11)
Old 10-19-11, 08:51 AM
Jr Member

SooZeeQ is on a distinguished road

In the summer of 2010, before I was diagnosed with ADHD, I tried The Four Day Diet (Ian Smith, MD) because I knew I needed to eat better and the fact that he lists out the exact things to eat each and the amounts, well I liked that because it required less thinking.

It was easy to do for me because I was alone in the house and didn't have anyone else to cook for. Hubby was away. BUT -- I do remember feeling awesome into the 3rd day. More energy than usual, and just generally great. I've been wanting to go back to it ever since... but it's hard with our lifestyle (military).

Oh.. and it's really not a 4 day diet... it's a diet program that's broken up into 4-day modules, starting with a detox module.
Old 11-12-11, 09:17 AM

KSA1979 is on a distinguished road

From my researchs I found avoiding:
1) Gluten ( amino acid found in wheat, starches ) should help.
2) white sugar or at least take Chromuim Paclonate (supplement) with it which help to stabilize GTF (glucose tolerance factor) if it can't be avoided.
3) Food additives.

Also taking Ginkgo and Creatine should boost mental alertness.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-12, 08:07 PM

858_Gaffer is on a distinguished road

Although I've just been diagnosed and am only into my 6th day on a med, I already know that I need to adjust my diet, in several areas. For the last couple of months, I've not been eating breakfast (MAYBE a breakfast bar, but usually a couple of cups of coffee) and maybe 50% of the time I actually get a chance to eat lunch. Dinner, because of scheduling between my fiance and me, hasn't been the usual healthy home-cooked meal. So, that said, I know that's gotta change. And, add to that the Adderall (generic 20mg 1x/day), my appetite's been shot until it's late in the evening and I realize I haven't eaten anything all day and I'm famished...so, yeah, that's gotta change too. But, in reading through the thread, and in thinking back to when I was doing the "Body for Life" diet & exercise program and boxing for at least 30 minutes every morning, lifting on odd days and boxing for 2-3 hours on even days, I recall feeling very healthy, sleeping better than normal, and being more focused and less overwhelmed/underwhelmed by my workload. I think it's time to get back to it. Has anyone else tried that diet, and have you had any success or issues with it? I'll post up once I'm able to get going and have a few days' biofeedback to report...
Old 11-26-12, 06:46 AM

walter46 is on a distinguished road

I think we should have fantastic and clean fruit and attitude healthy eating plan and like vegetables in our daily choice and should stop all that fried meals that are not fantastic for health. Healthy eating plan is must be in our daily food choice. And we should not neglect the value of daily exercise...
Old 02-04-14, 10:56 AM

Don2112 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Diet and ADHD

Perhaps you guys will believe me. I'm about to turn 46, male, some college, artist. I've struggled with depression for as long as I can remember. My mother tried twice to kill herself, blah blah blah.

I have definitely found a correlation between what I eat and my thoughts/feelings. I've been a meat and potato and bread guy my whole life. I have kept a food/mood journal and have concluded that

A: Peanuts cause me insecure, self-doubting thoughts and feelings.
B: Wheat causes me to be angry and depressed.

I'm working on discovering a "recipe" for my brain. Obviously I am missing some nutrients and have some food sensitivities.

I have started eating vegetables. I have heard that Atkins could actually cause diabetes. I ate the Italian Sausage meal and felt "amazing!" For about 3 and a half hours. Other meals, not so much. After examining the label, I discovered that the Italian one has no wheat, where others might. I have also concluded that my brain runs better in some sugar. (unfortunately I'm now seriously hooked on chocolate). Yesterday I put peanuts back to the test, in hopes of someday getting to eat Reese's again. Kept my food journal, insecure/depressive thoughts, especially this morning.

What ****** me of is people saying "Oh it's just a sugar crash" or "No, you're not allergic to peanuts, my son is, he could die!" Well, some people could die from smelling peanuts, so obviously, there are different degrees. Call it sensitivity then.

Anyway, any others?

Last edited by peripatetic; 02-04-14 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: distinct paragraph breaks added; no other edits
Old 02-05-14, 11:06 AM
Contributor

Dopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud ofDopes1 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don2112 View Post
Perhaps you guys will believe me. I'm about to turn 46, male, some college, artist. I've struggled with depression for as long as I can remember. My mother tried twice to kill herself, blah blah blah.

I have definitely found a correlation between what I eat and my thoughts/feelings. I've been a meat and potato and bread guy my whole life. I have kept a food/mood journal and have concluded that

A: Peanuts cause me insecure, self-doubting thoughts and feelings.
B: Wheat causes me to be angry and depressed.

I'm working on discovering a "recipe" for my brain. Obviously I am missing some nutrients and have some food sensitivities.

I have started eating vegetables. I have heard that Atkins could actually cause diabetes. I ate the Italian Sausage meal and felt "amazing!" For about 3 and a half hours. Other meals, not so much. After examining the label, I discovered that the Italian one has no wheat, where others might. I have also concluded that my brain runs better in some sugar. (unfortunately I'm now seriously hooked on chocolate). Yesterday I put peanuts back to the test, in hopes of someday getting to eat Reese's again. Kept my food journal, insecure/depressive thoughts, especially this morning.

What ****** me of is people saying "Oh it's just a sugar crash" or "No, you're not allergic to peanuts, my son is, he could die!" Well, some people could die from smelling peanuts, so obviously, there are different degrees. Call it sensitivity then.

Anyway, any others?
There's a theory regarding this called "relational memory".
Old 02-12-14, 11:35 AM
ADDvanced Member

datajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to all
Re: Diet and ADHD can taking lactose help?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0211084053.htm
this is about how exercise triggers lactic acid and its importance. while I exercise regularly and know it helps me stay sane and centered, it's not always possible. perhaps fermented milk products may help. in this case, the fermented whey thrown out when greek yogurt is made might be the most beneficial. I make kefir and for some baking and some dishes, strain it. The fermented whey is never discarded but used for sourdough rye bread, biscuits and the like. I may try simply drinking it straight when weather or an injury prevents my frequent hikes.
Old 02-15-14, 10:23 PM

kstate23 is on a distinguished road

I've been on the Paleo diet for about 3 months and it has helped me a lot with daytime energy (more constant energy without highs and lows). As a result, I think my emotions are better in check. Has anyone else tried this?
Old 04-09-14, 11:56 PM

miss yisha is on a distinguished road

hi, I'm feeding my adhd, my autistic and my typical child a very simple diet, eg steamed broccoli and rice, or fish and boiled potatoes, carrots for snack, apples and nuts for breakfast... One great thing about this how your sense of taste adjusts. after a while you crave a fresh carrot more than a chocolate cake. (the chocolate cake may still be tempting if right under your nose, but you easily walk past the entire cookie-pastry-candy section in the store and just don't have it in the house. )

and once a simple apple makes you happy for snack, it gets convenient (grab an apple on my way out the door to go to work) and cheap. Nothing is cheaper than a big bag of plain white rice.

and recently we juice fruits and veggies. that makes cravings go away too, because it has intense taste and provides nutrients. add chia seeds for substance, let them soak 15 min, helps clean your system out.

simple!

good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to miss yisha For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (04-09-14)
Old 04-21-14, 08:47 PM

ndjokovic is on a distinguished road

Hi, I am a user of social anxiety support. I think, I am not suffering from exactly one disorder, I have a lot of disorders if we want to consider the names of each disorder. But after lot of research, I believe that there's nothing called "INSERT DISORDER NAME", my pure problem is in my gut, specially the gut bacteria. There's lot of recent scientific papers supporting this direction.
I read the other day about GAPS (Gut and Psychology Syndrome), it is a problem of low beneficial bacteria in the gut. People who used antibiotics some point in life have a greater chance to hurt their "good" bacteria in their gut. Personally I took a huge amount of antibiotics since I was a child.
What surprised me about the GAPS, is that I suffer exactly of most of its symptoms:
ADD/ADHD, anxiety, OCD, Substance abuse, Lack of self confidence, allergies, Asthma, Eczema, Gut problems...

Dr Campbell McBride has a book on GABS, she succeed in treating psychological disorders (like her autistic son) using probiotics. Others also suced treating OCD and other disorders using probtiotics.

This direction makes sense for me. It is the most logical view of such disorders, it explains lot of things like correlation between allergies and psychological disorders.
This is not weird after all, considering gut bacteria plays a great role in immunity and manufacture about 95% of the body's supply of serotonin, B vitamins, and other "good" molecules.
Old 04-22-14, 09:54 AM
ADDvanced Member

datajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to alldatajunkie is a name known to all

ndjokovic
Gut bacteria and diet can make symptoms worse. Leaky gut contributes also. We have more receptors for serotonin alone in our GI tract than in the brain. Which is one reason that 5 htp can lead to gut cramps in some people, especially those with irritable bowel syndrome. And also why SSRI's and other antidepressants can have affects such as constipation.
If you are saying that your XYZ disorders are all due to gut issues, that may well be true. And give a possibility that establishing good gut flora and finding a diet appropriate for you, of relief of symptoms.
If you are saying that ALL XYZ AD/HD and ASD is due to diet and gut flora, I'll strongly disagree. Genetics, triggers such as exposure to tobacco during pregnancy or early childhood--heavy second hand smoke from my father, other toxins, brain injury, possibly some illnesses--viral as well as bacterial or fungal not simply side effect of antibiotics, possibly a link with C section birth but unclear if insufficient exposure to oxytocin during labor, anesthesia or what ever birth complication led to the C section. A broad range of genetic and contributing factors.
I'm a strong advocate of finding a real food diet of items appropriate for individual bodies. I can't tolerate foods with high salicylate content well. Tomatoes and potatoes make me spacy and also trigger joint inflammation. I also keep wheat to a minimum as it does the same and also gives gut irritation if I eat it too often. I do fine with whole rye, barley and oats, it's not their gluten but something else in wheat that bothers me.
I'm also a strong advocate of a green lifestyle limiting exposure to many household and personal care products with artificial fragrances, softeners, and other additives that cause chemical sensitivity reactions. Insecticides, herbicides, paints, petroleum products and such. Some of these chemicals can also affect the receptors for neurotransmitters.
Best wishes you can fully recover with the right diet for you and establishing good gut microbes.
Old 04-22-14, 12:12 PM

ndjokovic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by datajunkie View Post
ndjokovic
Gut bacteria and diet can make symptoms worse. Leaky gut contributes also. We have more receptors for serotonin alone in our GI tract than in the brain. Which is one reason that 5 htp can lead to gut cramps in some people, especially those with irritable bowel syndrome. And also why SSRI's and other antidepressants can have affects such as constipation.
If you are saying that your XYZ disorders are all due to gut issues, that may well be true. And give a possibility that establishing good gut flora and finding a diet appropriate for you, of relief of symptoms.
If you are saying that ALL XYZ AD/HD and ASD is due to diet and gut flora, I'll strongly disagree. Genetics, triggers such as exposure to tobacco during pregnancy or early childhood--heavy second hand smoke from my father, other toxins, brain injury, possibly some illnesses--viral as well as bacterial or fungal not simply side effect of antibiotics, possibly a link with C section birth but unclear if insufficient exposure to oxytocin during labor, anesthesia or what ever birth complication led to the C section. A broad range of genetic and contributing factors.
I'm a strong advocate of finding a real food diet of items appropriate for individual bodies. I can't tolerate foods with high salicylate content well. Tomatoes and potatoes make me spacy and also trigger joint inflammation. I also keep wheat to a minimum as it does the same and also gives gut irritation if I eat it too often. I do fine with whole rye, barley and oats, it's not their gluten but something else in wheat that bothers me.
I'm also a strong advocate of a green lifestyle limiting exposure to many household and personal care products with artificial fragrances, softeners, and other additives that cause chemical sensitivity reactions. Insecticides, herbicides, paints, petroleum products and such. Some of these chemicals can also affect the receptors for neurotransmitters.
Best wishes you can fully recover with the right diet for you and establishing good gut microbes.
Thank you datajunkie. Well of course, as you said, not all of those disorders are caused by gut bacteria. But the scary increasing number of people with allergies and psychological disorders pushes a lot of scientists to know what's exactly happening. Toxins are the logical cause, but what people should know is that only a small fraction of toxins come from the outside world like smoke, pollution, Insecticides... most of toxins are in fact manufactured inside the body by the pathogenic bacteria in the gut. Those are little machines that transform sugar molecules you eat to toxic molecules, the more sugar you eat the more toxins produced. Those toxins can even mess with the transcription factors and the DNA repair system and then lead to cancer:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/275257.php

The idea is to stop eating sugars as long as the gut have these pathogenic bacteria like (Clostridium bacteria), and start killing them by overpopulating it with beneficial bacteria like lactic acid bacteria and others found in Yogurt and specially Kefir (Probiotic pills are often expensive and less efficient compared to Kefir). Also Kefir is perfect for people who have problem with dairy product, because it contains almost no lactose (lactose is consumed by "good" bacteria and transformed into new molecules like B vitamins, serotonin, tryptophan,...).

Here's some psychological disorders treated successfully using probiotics:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cientists.html

Here's the study about the correlation between allergies and psychological disorder:
http://www.healio.com/allergy-immuno...sorders-injury

It would be a good idea to make a poll in this forum asking people if they have allergies (hay fever, food allergies...) or gut problems (bloating, gases...).

Anyway, you can have more information about diet here:
http://www.choosehelp.com/topics/men...ou-abuse-drugs
Have a good day !!!!!!

Last edited by ndjokovic; 04-22-14 at 12:32 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ndjokovic For This Useful Post:
datajunkie (04-22-14)
Old 04-22-14, 12:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

ndjokovic
I agree with you on these aspects of diet and health. I've had as good a diet as I can for decades--the info on what is 'good' has changed quite a bit with updated info.
I make kefir weekly and have access to top quality A2 raw milk as well as true organic vegetables and produce as well as meat, eggs, and bake my own 100% sourdough rye--made with kefir, use oat and barley flour plus garbanzo flour for high protein, low glycemic index rolls and muffins using a small bit of local wild raw honey that helps with allergy/mast cell activation symptoms. By adding nuts, eggs, and such I can make something delicious if not sweet enough for some people that is nutritious and one serving keeps my energy up and hunger satisfied for hours. No glucose spike/crash.
I use only virgin olive oil--the few brands that are tested for 'real' olive oil, coconut oil and butter, no soy, corn or transfats.
My body is attuned enough to 'real' food, that eating in many restaurants is impossible. The oils, commercial eggs, and such make me feel bad.
With some salicylate intolerance--the Feingold diet is a low sal/phenol diet--my AD/HD symptoms and more are reduced. I don't produce enough of the enzymes to metabolize sals/phenols well and it gives me symptoms of aspirin toxicity. I don't use aspirin class meds and fortunately seldom need anything like that.
We need to stop thinking of ourselves as single organisms. We are mini biomes with our own internal and external parasites and symbiotic probiotics. Even mitochondria may be ancient organisms that moved into cells and are symbiotes rather than cell organelles.
Are you familiar with mast cell reactions? Allergy like reactions but not involving the immune system, no antibodies forming. Many of the reactions are identical to allergies and treatment is often similar--something to reduce histamine response. Mast cells are in every organ from brain to skin. When triggered often enough, they multiply and make reactions worse over time. A host of mental/emotional and physical reactions come from mast cell reactions. I think many of the 'allergy' symptoms that cause mental/emotional symptoms may be 'pseudo allergies' from mast cell activation. Might be worth checking out.
Old 01-21-15, 12:02 PM
Jr Member

Chamakay is on a distinguished road

I keep hearing cutting out a lot of sugar can be beneficial for ADHDers. I admit, I have been binging on a lot on chocolate and know it's time to cut it. I have been good so far but I have a question which may be silly but it has been bugging me. I eat a lot of fruit and I'm aware that fruit contains a lot of sugar, is this any different to sugar found in chocolate or sweets? I can put down the chocolate but I couldn't put down the fruit, it's my favourite thing to eat.