ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What is your Birthorder in your family?
First Child 90 49.45%
Middle Child 32 17.58%
Last Child 43 23.63%
Only Child 17 9.34%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-04, 11:02 AM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
Interesting read Jeffrey. They make a good case for ADD being a lack of centering or grounding. I think it can be interpreted as cause or effect. Definitely worth reading and considering.
Old 06-21-04, 01:24 PM

Jeffrey is on a distinguished road
I enjoyed it also, although I'd like to see more proof of the whole 'centering' approach. I guess it might be possible.
Old 07-20-04, 08:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

GOLDILOCKS is on a distinguished road
Firstborn here.

Sis is Bipolar/Depressive.
Mom is Depressive.

I told them we oughta' learn each other's disabilities and have a pop quiz over Thanksgiving dinner!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-04, 12:33 PM

168 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianne
I am an only child but my mom misscarried 3 times. I should have been the 3rd child. I don't think birth order matters as far as ADD goes. I voted as only child even though I could have been the 3rd of 4.
Me too! I don't feel alone. I am an only but my mom was a "pre-mee" so she miscarried twice before me and I had a little brother that lived one week. I should have been the 3rd of 4.

I voted as an only.

My dad has severe bipolar but mom is not affected by any disorder.
Old 09-21-04, 03:03 PM

Ruby is on a distinguished road
I don't see ADD as having any correlation to birth order. Two possible explanations for seeing some sort of "answer" in the numbers would be: IF the numbers say that younger children were more likely to have it, I'd see that as an indication that perhaps (with the omega-3 stuff I've been reading up on) the mother's stores of omega-3 are depleted over time and therefore younger kids get less of it in utero; or IF the numbers say that the oldest is ADD I'd suspect that it is more often an oldest child who is diagnosed or expected to perform at a higher level and therefore it is noticed, while with younger children perhaps the child is just seen as the typical "clown" and "messed up" youngest child type--and is therefore undiagnosed and not likely to be visiting a forum.

Edited to add that although I answered with "middle child" I have been tested by a psychologist who is a friend as exhibiting traits of both first, middle and lastborn children. That is because I am the third of four (technically middle), but my older siblings are 18 months apart, there is a gap of 7 years, and my younger brother and I are 14 months apart. So I am a youngest in that my younger brother and I were always "the little kids" compared to the older two, and I am the oldest in that my older siblings were out of the house and I was the oldest child actually at home for many years.
Old 09-21-04, 07:51 PM
Contributor

vinceptor is on a distinguished road
I need to catch up on some earlier comments by Brianne and Jeffrey:

I have not noticed anything that makes me think birth order is correlated with AD/HD, but I have always wondered if alloimmunity (mother-fetus) problems were associated somehow.

I say this because my parents were Rh-incompatible, I was a first child (but rarely do 1st children have problems because of this), and my sister is a second child (but she apparently had no problems either). A third pregnancy terminated itself abnormally, so my parents left it at two.

But since both parents (probably) have showed signs of AD/HD, and my sister and I both are convinced we have it, I'd still go with the family inheritance thing in our case, not birth order.

Ken

E-mail--one of the 10 warning signs of AD/HD
Old 09-26-04, 12:05 AM

beth1 is on a distinguished road
Hi
I voted middle child but I was 1st girl in the family which made me the "little mom" and the "big sister" to two younger sisters. My brother is first born but also shows signs of ADD
Old 11-15-04, 02:47 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

whiteraven has disabled reputation
(psst, vinceptor, I know this is off topic, but what DOES off the scale mean?)
Old 11-15-04, 01:07 PM
Contributor

vinceptor is on a distinguished road
Yes, it is off topic, so I will post once (and if it turns into a digression, I'll let an admin move it to its own thread...).

As far as your question is concerned: when you look at the header of a posting, move your mouse pointer over the squarish icon next to the number of posts someone has made. Some text pops up, such as "XYZ is on a distinguished road." In my case, it says "Vinceptor is off the scale." There are other "fortune cookies" as well. Obviously one of the site gurus set those up and you should ask him/her.

As far as I'm concerned, to be "off the scale" at an site full of "off the scale" people (isn't that what ADD is to the rest of the world?) is a mark of excellence....

Ken

E-mail--one of the 10 warning signs of AD/HD
Old 11-18-04, 07:12 PM
Contributor

ADDfor2 has disabled reputation
In my case I'm the oldest and got the ADD the worst. Both of my sisters have it to a degree. It ranges from me, the worst, next the middle child and then the youngest with just a touch of it. My personal opinion, I think the first gets the worst because I sure did and so did my daughter. Thankfully, my 1st and only daughter is doing much better then I did. Dee
Old 11-18-04, 07:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

pembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nice
There are numerous books out on the relationship of birth order to personality.
If you type in a search on Amazon, the first three are:
The New Birth Order Book: Why You Are the Way You Are -- by Kevin Leman; Paperback
The Birth Order Effect: How to Better Understand Yourself and Others -- by Cliff Isaacson, Kris Radish
Birth Order Blues: How Parents Can Help Their Children Meet the Challenges of Birth Order (Birth Order Blues) -- by Meri Wallace

But I don't think birth order has anything to do with ADD; I think it's more related to genetics - kind of like the chance of getting blue eyes or curly hair - if one of your parents has it (or even doesn't). Recessive gene, and all that stuff.

Baruch Spinoza

Old 11-30-04, 09:36 AM
Jr Member

karma is on a distinguished road
i'm the oldest, but my brother and i both have ADD.
Old 12-06-04, 01:07 AM
Jr Member

Fasthummingbird has disabled reputation
I was the first of four girls, #1,2 and 4, all were blue eyed, blonds,very, very, very blond.
Old 01-02-05, 08:44 PM

Coral Rhedd is on a distinguished road
Vinceptor, I am not good at the math statistical thing, but remember there was also the choice of only child. It seems to odd to me that many people have indentified as first born in this poll. Certain things occured to me:

1. First borns are often required to take responsibility for their siblings. Problems with responsibility, especially as they pertain to organization, might make first borns more likely to be diagnosed as ADD.

2. Parents have traditionally put much of the burden for achievement upon first borns. Failure to achieve as expected might lead to parental frustration which might lead first borns to be more often diagnosed as ADD.

3. Because of parental expectations, firstborns might become more frustrated with their own underachievement and this might lead them to seek diagnosis as adults. We internalize those parental expectations.

On other thing occurs to me. I recently read an article that says that mothers who are stressed during pregnancy are more likely to produce children who are depressed later in life. That first time mothers would be more stressed that ones who had been there and done that only makes sense to me. Also pregnancy puts stress upon a marriage/relationships. I think first time mothers are more likely to worry that their spouses/boyfriends might leave them. Nothing provides support like pairbonding. We often forget that the womb is also an evironment.
Old 01-03-05, 09:12 PM

juliette is on a distinguished road
Wow! These results are surprising to me. I'm a first born out of 3 and I have ADD(so does my brother who was born 3rd). I just always figured the first born was the responsible "perfect" one (which I could never live up to).