ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 07-21-15, 07:04 PM

Smashachu is on a distinguished road
My Psychiatrist Doesn't Wanna Treat my ADHD Directly.

Hi, i'm 18 years old. I've always done poorly in school for as long as i can remember. Never able to read a book longer then 5-6 pages without giving up out of boredom. I was recently diagnosed with Aspergers and depression, on top of my adhd.

My psychiatrist tends to focus purely on my depression and anxiety, shes had me on 3-4 anti-depressants most of them were SSRI's and those are horrible. People describe being a zombie from ritalin, but SSRI's are truly what being a zombie feels like. You can't feel sad or happy, you just exist. Plus now with a long term girlfriend i can't really afford to have the ED side effect.

So after explaining to her time and time and time again that treating my depression alone is going to create more problems. I finally talked her into "Kind of" treating my ADHD. She prescribed me wellbutrin, then went on to say that this is what she used to prescribe to the inmates at the jail she used to work for. Which makes me question how good of a doctor she is.

Turns out she doesn't prescribe any controlled substance to any of her patients, according to my therapist who works under her.
I wish i could find a new psychiatrist, but my insurance is very limiting. Anyone have any insight with this kind of situation?

I'm sorry if this thread came off as ranty or whiny, i'm just very frustrated with the degree of negligence of my current doctor.

Edit: I realize theres probably a better category for this thread.
Old 07-21-15, 07:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,861 Times in 1,181 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of
Re: My Psychiatrist Doesn't Wanna Treat my ADHD Directly.

If you go out looking for the stimulint medications you could be stopped dead.

I guess some just won't risk going there.

I had the same problem SSRIs just didn't work.

I must say I thank god for them. They are easy to abuse.

There very hard to get here to; that's why I don't abuse them.

If your dr won't prescribe anything else go somewhere else.

Goodluck
Old 07-21-15, 10:34 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,972 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

1. Do NOT ever do anything that might be seen as trying to go behind your current doctor's back, regarding medication or regarding anything else, even if what you were about to do seemed reasonable and correct.

2. If I were you, I'd be looking for a different doctor, despite the difficulty.

3. Again, and especially in case you end up discovering that there's no one available who's any better, do not do anything behind your current doctor's back.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-15, 11:36 PM
mod-estly regulated

Thanked 5,450 Times in 2,993 Posts
someothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond reputesomeothertime has a reputation beyond repute

Get someone who can advocate for you on the ground level. Adding a knowledgeable and independent voice resolves most of the bureaucratic impediment.

Hoping the right people get the right info so you can begin to receive adequate treatment form the medical profession.

We should not live in fear nor be denied the RIGHT treatment. I wonder what this doctor would say if asked by an independant peer as to why they felt they should not treat your ADHD? By an ethics body? No. The only people who are asking questions that need to be answered are the insurance bottom liners and the doctors receptionist. Not happy Jan.
~ SB_UK ~
Old 07-22-15, 04:16 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,110 Times in 15,358 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Well that is frustrating.On one hand the importance of treating depression and anxiety is huge, on the other treating the adhd can be life saving as well. Have you considered writing some notes about the efficacy and benefit of meds with some solid sources and research and having a direct convo with her? Something like: telling her that this is what you learned to be helpful, ask her why she refuses to try something that is considered a first line treatment, why she is refusing to treat you with a medically sound approved med? Mind you, this could muck up your relationship but then again, it isnt very good now anyway. DVD is right, under no circumstances should you deal with this with anyone other than your doc. In the meantime keep looking for a new one.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-27-15, 09:21 PM
Contributor

ADXP is just really niceADXP is just really niceADXP is just really niceADXP is just really nice

Fire him or her.
Old 07-28-15, 01:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,353 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest to find a different psychiatrist. At any financial cost. An efficient treatment plan can be a very good investment. I hate to make judgements about people I don't know, but if everything you say is true, this doctor sucks! A doctor shouldn't force you to take medication that isn't working for you. Also, I fail to see the connection between Wellbutrin and prison. I took this med for a while and I am a perfect law abiding citizen; I suspect most people using this drug are pretty much the same... She is very unprofessional and this could be very damaging to your long-term health.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (07-28-15)
Old 07-30-15, 06:00 AM

ADaptHD has a spectacular aura aboutADaptHD has a spectacular aura about

In people with ADHD, often treating the ADHD is the best way of relieving anxiety and depression. If ADHD is a major factor underlying your anxiety and depression, then all the SSRIs in the world aren't going to solve your problem.

If your doc as a rule doesn't prescribe stimulants, she probably has very little experience treating ADHD. I think you should find a more informed doctor if at all possible -- not just because she isn't prescribing stimulants but because it sounds like you have no real chance of really pursuing ADHD treatment with her.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADaptHD For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-01-15)
Old 07-30-15, 06:31 AM
Contributor

Powderbucket is a jewel in the roughPowderbucket is a jewel in the roughPowderbucket is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashachu View Post
So after explaining to her time and time and time again that treating my depression alone is going to create more problems. I finally talked her into "Kind of" treating my ADHD. She prescribed me wellbutrin, then went on to say that this is what she used to prescribe to the inmates at the jail she used to work for. Which makes me question how good of a doctor she is.
Strange.

My psychiatrist has treated law-abiding citizens and criminals in jail and it doesn't make me question her efficiency?

That opinion aside...

Doctors are people, and people have views and perspectives that they think are the best. Maybe she's sticking to her regime because it has worked for other patients? Who knows. Personally, I can't stand the "hippie" ethic some doctors have about stimulants.

The best thing to do would be to find another doctor. Save the money and it's worth it. Try getting it illicitly and you're buggering up your treatment.
namazu (08-01-15)
Old 07-31-15, 10:51 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,225 Times in 997 Posts
KarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeKarmanMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

While trying to sort out the doctor situation, there's a workaround; there are non-stimulant meds for ADHD that can do wonders for the depression and anxiety aspects too.

You can stress to your doctor that evidence suggests that depression for people with ADHD tends to relate to dopamine more than seratonin, therefore SSRIs will provide a great number of side effects and little benefit, as they tend to raise seratonin levels to an unhealthy level.

There are a host of anti-depressants that work on dopamine instead of seratonin; they're just not the first line of treatment any more. But for us, they can be far more effective.

You could also ask your doctor frankly about their reluctance to prescribe stimulants; that there's a lot of evidence that treatment resistent depression is in fact a secondary symptom in untreated or undertreated ADHD. They like it when you ask about the risks vs benefits.

Some doctors have been burnt pretty hard in the past, especially when it comes to things like oxy and ritalin. Having a frank conversation about risks/benefits, and how to watch for and address any potential abuse might just help the doctor feel more comfortable. Or not.

All those suggestions are for while you're looking for a different doctor, because if it's true that she doesn't prescribe controlled substances to any of her patients, then she's likely doing her patients a disservice by ignoring the best course of treatment in favour of covering her own ***. Don't say THAT to her though ;-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KarmanMonkey For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-31-15), namazu (08-01-15)