ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Meditation and Spirituality
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-18, 08:23 AM

Crawa197 is on a distinguished road
Smile Concept of "Chi" and ADD/Stimulants

Hello,

Do you find there is a way to preserve your energy or "chi" as the Chinese call it given the circumstance of having ADD and taking stimulants? What causes you to lose energy, if you do?
The Following User Says Thank You to Crawa197 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-17-18)
Old 04-17-18, 11:55 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,554 Times in 11,904 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Concept of "Chi" and ADD/Stimulants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawa197 View Post
Hello,

Do you find there is a way to preserve your energy or "chi" as the Chinese call it given the circumstance of having ADD and taking stimulants? What causes you to lose energy, if you do?
When the brain neurons are firing correctly, I have energy and less anxiety.
When the brain connections are misfiring, it takes a LOT more energy to try
and remember things, to try and get something finished without switching
tasks because I thought of 3 other things that I need to do.

It really does take us more energy to do what others do in a typical day.

The Spoon Theory really resonates with me as someone with adhd.
(I can't find an ad-free version atm, if you haven't read it, please google it.)

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 04-17-18, 12:00 PM

Thanked 2,563 Times in 1,202 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Crawa,

Please. Say a little bit more. I'm not sure what you're asking.

Example: what's the difference between Chi and feeling good? ... or Chi and feeling able to keep up with my life? ... I don't know quite how you're using the word "Chi."
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-18, 01:26 PM

alphalpha is on a distinguished road

I have realized over time.. that `hyperfocus` can be a gift.. if you know how to channel it. It has drawbacks for sure.. like I can ignore what people think about me.. not have to worry about politics at my job. Working on what I am passionate about.. gives me very high energy

Interestingly what I found is that if I dont worry about it, its as if, other people also dont think its a big issue.

Its not always as easy, because channeling your hypoerfocus, means you need to understand how your hyperfocus can lead you astray such as watching else youtube streams.. getting caught in tweaking your coding setup adfinitum.. etc... rambling on.
Old 04-17-18, 01:42 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphalpha View Post
I have realized over time.. that `hyperfocus` can be a gift.. if you know how to channel it. It has drawbacks for sure.. like I can ignore what people think about me.. not have to worry about politics at my job. Working on what I am passionate about.. gives me very high energy

Interestingly what I found is that if I dont worry about it, its as if, other people also dont think its a big issue.

Its not always as easy, because channeling your hypoerfocus, means you need to understand how your hyperfocus can lead you astray such as watching else youtube streams.. getting caught in tweaking your coding setup adfinitum.. etc... rambling on.

ADHD is not a problem of knowing what to do, it's a problem of being able to
do what you know. ADHD impairs that ability. It would be lovely if we could
actually turn the impairments into gifts, but that is really very difficult to do.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 04-19-18, 12:21 AM
ADDvanced Member

cobain67 has a spectacular aura aboutcobain67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Hello,

Taking stimulants does cause the energy body to expend more chi/energy/life force. The only way to preserve chi or life force energy as far as I'm aware in this regard is to not use them.. Now, the trade off for many wouldn't be tolerable, but to answer your question, the above is true (at least in my readings). I did quite a bit of reading on the matter, though of course many science-based folks may clash with the metaphysical perspectives out there.
Old 04-19-18, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobain67 View Post
Taking stimulants does cause the energy body to expend more chi/energy/life force. The only way to preserve chi or life force energy as far as I'm aware in this regard is to not use them.. Now, the trade off for many wouldn't be tolerable, but to answer your question, the above is true (at least in my readings). I did quite a bit of reading on the matter, though of course many science-based folks may clash with the metaphysical perspectives out there.
I don't understand how stimulants would make one use more energy?

I do think that stimulants can help us channel and use our energy better.

Old 04-19-18, 06:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I don't understand how stimulants would make one use more energy?

I do think that stimulants can help us channel and use our energy better.
As eastern theology depicts, we have X amount of energy/chi/life force to sustain us on this earth from birth to death, and when consuming stimulants, we are artificially releasing more/using more of our energy reserves (hence, the artificial increased sense of physical and mental energy). For instance, when we are really tired, drink coffee/take add meds for the first time/etc we tend to wake up again. This is due to the release of neurotransmitters and wakefulness promoting agents within our system/energy reserves as a whole. This is why we often feel exhausted when first stopping meds/quitting caffeine, as our true state of fatigue is unmasked. The whole concept of stimulants making one 'use more energy' is a metaphysical one, thus to explain on that level takes a different perspective..

This is a little info on Chi as a whole:
17 Surprising Things That Are Screwing With Your Qi

Another on Amphetamines and just general energy expenditure:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1988.tb13262.x

I REALLY don't feel I'm making the sense I wish I could.. Not on meds right now (the irony).. I've super stressed and my mind isn't clear. I hope this is sufficient info to start with.

Overall, I highly suggest reading up on the Chakras and blockages/imbalances and how those manifest if you're interested in the metaphysical/energy/chi stuff.

Here's a good starting point. The place also has info on blockages/etc.
"The 7 Chakras" at chakras.info

Again, I apologize as I'm very fuzzy in the head right now.

Last edited by namazu; 04-19-18 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Links to commercial sites (selling products/services) aren't allowed at ADDF. Removed/replaced links.
Old 04-19-18, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobain67 View Post
As eastern theology depicts, we have X amount of energy/chi/life force to sustain us on this earth from birth to death, and when consuming stimulants, we are artificially releasing more/using more of our energy reserves (hence, the artificial increased sense of physical and mental energy). For instance, when we are really tired, drink coffee/take add meds for the first time/etc we tend to wake up again. This is due to the release of neurotransmitters and wakefulness promoting agents within our system/energy reserves as a whole. This is why we often feel exhausted when first stopping meds/quitting caffeine, as our true state of fatigue is unmasked. The whole concept of stimulants making one 'use more energy' is a metaphysical one, thus to explain on that level takes a different perspective..

This is a little info on Chi as a whole:
17 Surprising Things That Are Screwing With Your Qi

Another on Amphetamines and just general energy expenditure:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1988.tb13262.x

I REALLY don't feel I'm making the sense I wish I could.. Not on meds right now (the irony).. I've super stressed and my mind isn't clear. I hope this is sufficient info to start with.

Overall, I highly suggest reading up on the Chakras and blockages/imbalances and how those manifest if you're interested in the metaphysical/energy/chi stuff.

Here's a good starting point. The place also has info on blockages/etc.
"The 7 Chakras" at chakras.info

Again, I apologize as I'm very fuzzy in the head right now.
I'm actually a Reiki practicioner and understand about Chi and the chakras and
blocks in the flow of energy.

Why I don't understand (and thought I was asking) is how stimulants could use
up (expend) more of our energy than normal.

Your link to the research on amphetamines discusses hyperthermia induced
by amphetamine over-use and it's effects on brain-sugar levels. I don't follow
the relevance to the question I asked.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Kunga Dorji (04-25-18)
Old 04-19-18, 08:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

Sorry, my mind has been a mess.. >_< I will see if I can find where I read about it specifically.
Old 04-19-18, 08:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

I read somewhere that stimulant drugs deplete life force energy.. I can't find the link off hand.. Still looking though. I apologize..
The Following User Says Thank You to cobain67 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-19-18)
Old 04-20-18, 08:13 PM

Thanked 2,563 Times in 1,202 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

The ADHD brain drains life force energy.

That I know for sure.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (04-20-18), Kunga Dorji (04-25-18), Lunacie (04-20-18), namazu (04-20-18)
Old 04-20-18, 10:33 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Amphetamine is closely related to ephedrine, which the ancient Chinese used. So maybe there's some sort of connection?
Old 04-20-18, 10:48 PM

Too bad the OP seems to have forgotten about the forum or this post.
Probably has adhd, eh?

Old 04-25-18, 01:54 AM

Thanked 6,060 Times in 2,843 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hello,

The first things I would ask are how do you know when your Qi is good, and what practices have you done to work with it?

I really do not think it is possible to make sense of these texts without direct experience.

I also do not think there would be many QiGong masters around with direct experience of stimulant use in either themselves or their students. If the meds are working would be very wary of taking any advice recommending against them unless you were very sure of the source of the advice and the experience supporting it.

I've done 2 years of QiGong/Tai Chi and aim to get back to it soon.
However the critical elements of these techniques all involve achieving a straight, upright posture and flexibility that stretches all the meridians.
It does have a noticeable effect which increases with time. It improves your energy, in a posture dependent way, just as your teacher explains when you do the classes.

However other practices also improve energy, alertness and clarity, including sitting meditation and sporting activity that involves a fair amount of postural balance challenge. The latter is particularly interesting as a balance challenge carries with it the possibility of a fall and a head injury- so it is strongly stimulating.

There is already a significant amount of material supporting the use of exercise in ADHD and the following comment from a professional friend of mine casts some light on that:
Quote:
If you are challenged, your perception simplistically grades the challenge to : survival or adaptation. You will develop efficiencies depending on you perception and graded decisions. You are more likely to have better posture in a survival mode than merely an adaptation mode. Your postural outcome is uploaded into your mapping/referencing areas to be called upon as required.
The higher levels of Qi Gong and Tai Chi/Kung Fu involve the generation of forces that look to be well beyond ordinary human capabilities, however at the lower levels things like shift of posture into a more upright one definitely increase mundane energy and calm.

When I started on stimulants I used to notice that shift all the time after taking medications. However even now I notice a drop in my heart rate after taking them.- and that is clearly a good thing for my long term Qi supply.

So, Ive not seen any evidence around that the stimulants are dangerous long term so long as they are working and adequately supervised.

Also- as above, untreated ADHD is definitely life and health impairing.

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

both by:
Max Planck: Nobel Prize 1918 for inventing quantum physics.