ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-17, 04:05 PM

ChRoTa3 is on a distinguished road
Tips for kicking cigarettes?

I've been smoking for a year and a half. It started out at a rate of about a pack a week but eventually got to half a pack+ a day. I've had a couple of spurts, 3-7 days, of not smoking before mindlessly buying a pack while getting gas. I haven't had any physical withdrawal symptoms so that's a non-issue. My biggest problem is cravings.

To try to help with that, I bought a pack of Nicorette gum. Hopefully this'll do the trick.

Do any of you guys have tips or stories that may be helpful for dealing with cravings?
Old 08-22-17, 06:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,549 Times in 854 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tips for kicking cigarettes?

This is what is available in IL that may be free or covered by insurance.

http://www.lungusa2.org/cessation2/s...php?stateId=17

Good Luck!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
ChRoTa3 (08-25-17)
Old 08-22-17, 07:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,724 Times in 13,720 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

What helped me was:

1. Have a very good inventive to quit

2. Once you quit keep extremely busy. Exercise and movement helped me the most. Everytime a craving hit or I got restless I went for a walk. I started swimming again and played squash for thr first time which gave me something to look forward to and something to strive for.

3. Vaping. I'm not sure I could have done it without Vaping. I only vaped for about 2 weeks but it helped hugely with the withdrawal.symptoms and cravings. It also helped still being able to go outside with my smoking buddies amd taking regular breaks. I think there's a risk that people just continuing Vaping but because I didn't find Vaping as enjoyable as smoking it was easy to quit after 2 weeks.

4. If you use smoking to take breaks find something else that is enjoyable in your break time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
ChRoTa3 (08-25-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-17, 04:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,667 Times in 14,621 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I have quit before and I am so addicted at the moment. I got sober about 4 years ago and I am so afraid of drinking I am still smoking. What worked in the past ore-alcoholism was getting rid of the fear of failure. Telling myself it was ok if I smoked tomorrow, just as long as I didnt smoke today I was doing alright, I hope to get to that point soon.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ChRoTa3 (08-25-17)
Old 09-05-17, 11:14 AM

Worriedoldie is a jewel in the roughWorriedoldie is a jewel in the roughWorriedoldie is a jewel in the rough

I started smoking around the age of 17. Around 2008 I was smoking 10 a day. In 2009 my dad in law died from cancer. That instantly made me pick up the book by Allen Carr. By page 42 I stopped smoking from one day to the next. Only fell back in once or twice because of alcohol...
My girlfriend read the book as well 6 months later and quit smoking too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Worriedoldie For This Useful Post:
ChRoTa3 (09-05-17)