ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 05-30-18, 07:14 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all
Anyone else here extremely empathetic?

Ever since I can remember, I've always been a very empathetic person. Not only is it very easy for me to look at things from others point of view, but sometimes it's impossible not to soak in emotions from people who I'm around. There have been times in my life when it was so bad, that I could be watching a TV show and would feel extreme sympathy with one of the characters, who might even just be a fill-in or an extra even, yet I find myself relating to and sympathizing with these people, sometimes almost to the point of tears.

While I'm sure this has a great deal to do with my upbringing and life experiences, I find myself wondering if this is something that can be attributed to my ADD, and if it's something that others might also experience.

What say you, addforums? Am I alone on this? Or do the majority of you also find yourselves to be extremely empathetic with others?
anonymouslyadd (06-24-18), daveddd (05-30-18), Drogheda (06-02-18), Fraser_0762 (05-31-18), imaan86 (06-16-18), Little Missy (05-30-18), LyrinMeow (05-30-18), peripatetic (05-31-18), psychopathetic (05-31-18), stef (05-31-18)
Old 05-30-18, 07:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,227 Times in 5,483 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone else here extremely empathetic?

generally what the science says about adhd, and seems true for me is

ut" sometimes it's impossible not to soak in emotions from people who I'm around"

this part seems to reflect something with ADHD

but this part "Not only is it very easy for me to look at things from others point of view, "
seems to be very difficult for the majority of people with ADHD
Little Missy (05-30-18)
Old 05-30-18, 07:52 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

I've learned to pick up on things but unless it's someone close to me I have a really hard time caring. Could be the autism. This is why I don't do fiction movies or books unless it's horror. In the latter case I still have to work to put myself in the mood to be horrored. And the more people that die the better. I just don't give two ****s about main characters. I don't related to them. They are nothing like me. So I don't care. I can't make myself want to care.

I find being around people very draining. It takes a lot of effort to keep up with other peoples expectations and moods and lives, etc. I have to do it all as a mental process and not some innate skill I was born with or developed at a young age. Again, it's probably my autism overriding the ADHD.
The Following User Says Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (05-30-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-18, 07:53 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

My sense is that ADHD people are more emotionally sensitive/dysregulated. Which can lead to being hyper attuned to how others might be perceiving. It's also harder to turn away from a negative thought/emotion once its seeds get planted in the mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (05-30-18), stef (05-31-18)
Old 05-30-18, 10:00 PM

paramarie is on a distinguished road

I'd say I'm not great with empathy just because I tend to lose interest fast. If someone is emotional around me and/or venting to me, I'll start listening to them with the best intentions, but soon I'm thinking about other things or wanting to do something else. Focus and emotional investment go hand-in-hand for me.

I'm much more attuned to my own feelings than others' which is something I'm working on. I do worry a lot about what other people think of me and I'm often described as a pushover, but I don't think that's empathy.

But I can't really say whether that's the ADHD or just another aspect of my personality.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paramarie For This Useful Post:
daveddd (05-30-18), stef (05-31-18)
Old 05-30-18, 10:51 PM

Thanked 21,207 Times in 11,357 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I have plenty of empathy, until they wear me out.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-30-18), anonymouslyadd (06-24-18), stef (05-31-18)
Old 05-30-18, 11:42 PM

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I have this, greatly in fact.

Under stress, duress, when I am distressed...I can turn it off, or it just turns off.

Which is good because at work I need to get payroll done even if my coworker's dog had to be put down. So cry with her in the morning, then get steely rational in the afternoon and stop thinking about her and the dog.

I also imagine it would allow me to unload a Mossburg into a home invader without problem, if I owned a Mossburg and such a thing were to happen. That said, I would be an absolute mess afterward, if my indignation let up for a bit.

Certain episodes of Law and Order:SVU will cause me to wail cry or rage cry, even if I have seen them before.

I love to watch a person do the thing they love because I get a contact high from their happiness/joy/bliss.

I'm glad I am this way.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (06-03-18), Little Missy (05-31-18), Lunacie (05-31-18), stef (05-31-18)
Old 05-30-18, 11:44 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,624 Times in 14,594 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

There was a theory I learned about in college during my 18th and 19th century English classes that talked about forms of "genius" that went beyond book smarts. There was something called emotional genius which involved empathy and sympathy and compassion. I believe its possible to be an emotional genius.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (06-24-18), Funky1 (05-31-18), psychopathetic (05-31-18), stef (05-31-18)
Old 05-31-18, 02:57 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,434 Times in 7,189 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

I am absolutely very much so empathetic with others. I make for a fantastic support group member.
I really do have a love for people.

I just wish I could be half as empathetic with my own self.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Funky1 (05-31-18), imaan86 (06-16-18), Lunacie (05-31-18), stef (05-31-18)
Old 05-31-18, 11:46 AM

Budkeiser is on a distinguished road

I have very little empathy for adults. Some… but not much. However, pets, children and funerals are my kryptonite. Worse if you combine more than one of those. The last time I cried was 1981, but I have come close when it involves a pet or child.
Funky1 (05-31-18), Little Missy (05-31-18), stef (05-31-18)
Old 05-31-18, 12:43 PM

Thanked 33,611 Times in 15,203 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

I am. I can't watch news or most television because I feel so gutted by the world and I can't watch people be awkward or repeatedly fail, it breaks my heart. Oh my **** add a child in some scene and I'm done...absolutely done.

I should note that ADHD isn't my only problem. I struggle a lot with intrusive thoughts and sometimes believe things you'd think are super nutty. Like I've believed an entity was typing through me and I couldn't retake control of my body.

Anyway, I'm very able to put myself into another's position. Perhaps too easily because then I see them for what they are and can't help but have compassion because of that.

When I'm able to cry much I cry for people and their losses and struggles. I think having a psychotic disorder can make me impervious when I'm seriously unwell, but when I'm more stable the world and people in it can elate me or shatter me on their behalf.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Funky1 (05-31-18), imaan86 (06-16-18), Lunacie (05-31-18)
Old 05-31-18, 01:01 PM

Thanked 6,469 Times in 3,088 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky1 View Post
Ever since I can remember, I've always been a very empathetic person. Not only is it very easy for me to look at things from others point of view, but sometimes it's impossible not to soak in emotions from people who I'm around. There have been times in my life when it was so bad, that I could be watching a TV show and would feel extreme sympathy with one of the characters, who might even just be a fill-in or an extra even, yet I find myself relating to and sympathizing with these people, sometimes almost to the point of tears.

While I'm sure this has a great deal to do with my upbringing and life experiences, I find myself wondering if this is something that can be attributed to my ADD, and if it's something that others might also experience.

What say you, addforums? Am I alone on this? Or do the majority of you also find yourselves to be extremely empathetic with others?

Yes, I care too much about other people and their feelings. Although I think most people in my life use this to manipulate me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Funky1 (05-31-18), LyrinMeow (05-31-18)
Old 05-31-18, 01:05 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

Thank you for all of the input so far! I suppose I should clarify, this isn't a constant thing in my life, but when it hits me it's damn near unbearable. It also seems like it's usually the most inconsequential, minor things that set this emotion off in me. Things that if I dig into, really have no pertinence in my life whatsoever. It's just something I've always wondered about, figured I would see if maybe it had something to do with my attention issues I am inquiring as to whether anyone else encountered similar situations.
Fraser_0762 (05-31-18)
Old 05-31-18, 03:20 PM

Thanked 25,573 Times in 11,914 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
My sense is that ADHD people are more emotionally sensitive/dysregulated. Which can lead to being hyper attuned to how others might be perceiving. It's also harder to turn away from a negative thought/emotion once its seeds get planted in the mind.
I went through a phase several years ago when I was super hyper attuned

to everything. It's so hard to be that attuned and alert all the fricking time.

If I went shopping and the clerk was having a bad day or just dealt with

a difficult customer . . . I not only picked up on those vibes, I tended to take

them home with my purchases.

I finally learned to be aware in a different way so that when I encountered

someone who was angry or over-stressed I could remind myself that their

energy was theirs and my energy was mine and they didn't have to connect.

If I was doing well myself, I could send tendrils of my energy to them

to help transform the cranky or angry to peaceful, maybe even happy.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (05-31-18)
Old 05-31-18, 04:08 PM

Thanked 1,548 Times in 853 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm PMing you.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Funky1 (05-31-18)