ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 01-31-09, 02:21 AM
Jr Member

barone is on a distinguished road
Re: Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT)

CogMed is $1500 i guess and has mixed reviews, i know luminosity is decent and its free, or mostly free?
Old 01-31-09, 03:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

TJake will become famous soon enough

Cogmed is definitely expensive. Lumosity is a pretty good option, but just keep in mind that only some of the exercises are specifically for working memory. I also wrote up a set of exercises for working memory based on the Cogmed research paper. It pretty inexpensive to do WM training if you follow this set of exercises (available on the Cogmed thread shown in see my footer).

Another option is the Brain Fitness Program (BFP) by Posit Science which is $400. BFP was not designed for ADHD folks but for elderly folks who are losing some of their cognitive skills, but it has really helped my working memory. These also offer a 90 day money back guarantee, so if you don't like it, you can send it back. The guys at Posit Science are on the cutting edge of neuroscience so I think it's a very good investment.

Other therapies/supplements that I've found helpful:

Working memory training (Cogmed): 7/08-8/08. See more
Brain Fitness Program by Posit Science: !!! excellent !!!
Learning Breakthrough Program: 7/07-4/08. See more

High EPA/DHA ratio Omega3's & Magnesium
Old 01-31-09, 04:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

TJake will become famous soon enough

I forgot to mention this earlier. Here's a thread about using light therapy that seems to help some folks be more alert:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62508

Other therapies/supplements that I've found helpful:

Working memory training (Cogmed): 7/08-8/08. See more
Brain Fitness Program by Posit Science: !!! excellent !!!
Learning Breakthrough Program: 7/07-4/08. See more

High EPA/DHA ratio Omega3's & Magnesium
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-09, 12:03 AM

Technojunkie will become famous soon enough

So I've been using Pyritinol twice a day for several days. The morning dose is paired with organic green tea with mint, one or two mugs. I started pairing the midday dose with Brain Toniq, which to be fair isn't a stimulant. That worked a little. The last two days I paired the midday dose with 10mg Adderall. Oh yes, pairing Pyritinol with Addy works MUCH better. I'll stick with tea in the morning since I think it has other health benefits and I'd like to keep my Adderall use to a minimum. Brain Toniq just doesn't do much for me. I guess it mostly works on "normal" people.

It still takes me too long to read stuff but the improvement is worth it. Of course, since I hadn't taken Addy for several weeks that's undoubtedly influencing my results. We'll see if the effects last. If Pyritinol lets me keep my Addy dose low, awesome.

Next time I'll probably order direct from Cognitive Nutrition. They have some other supplements that look interesting, like L-DOPA.
GET TESTED FOR HEAVY METALS! Read Andrew Cutler and this Mercury Detox site devoted to Cutler's protocol. Mercury fillings are the common but far from only source. Mercury is one cause of Convergence Insufficiency, treated with vision therapy, presents similar to ADHD-PI, will come back if you don't chelate mercury. Mercury can also screw up your adrenals which, again, looks a lot like ADD. Eat Paleo! Petrochemical food additives aggravate ADHD!

Last edited by meadd823; 02-05-09 at 02:05 AM.. Reason: hyperlinks to solicitations removed - please see guidelines
Old 02-05-09, 01:49 AM

Captain Obvious has a spectacular aura aboutCaptain Obvious has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technojunkie View Post
So I've been using Pyritinol twice a day for several days. The morning dose is paired with organic green tea with mint, one or two mugs. I started pairing the midday dose with Brain Toniq, which to be fair isn't a stimulant. That worked a little. The last two days I paired the midday dose with 10mg Adderall. Oh yes, pairing Pyritinol with Addy works MUCH better. I'll stick with tea in the morning since I think it has other health benefits and I'd like to keep my Adderall use to a minimum. Brain Toniq just doesn't do much for me. I guess it mostly works on "normal" people.

It still takes me too long to read stuff but the improvement is worth it. Of course, since I hadn't taken Addy for several weeks that's undoubtedly influencing my results. We'll see if the effects last. If Pyritinol lets me keep my Addy dose low, awesome.

Next time I'll probably order direct from Cognitive Nutrition. They have some other supplements that look interesting, like L-DOPA.
I take L-DOPA. But you can't be reckless with it. You can't just dose it any time you want, at whatever dosage you want. Too much L-DOPA can lead to VERY toxic effects on the brain. Anti-oxidants help, especially Vitamin C, but they don't completely prevent the risks of side-effects.

These side-effects are known as dyskinesia. The hand shaking you see with parkinson's disease is related to L-DOPA supplementation. They're not sure if it's the disease itself, the L-DOPA itself, or the combination of the two, but either way, one should be very careful when taking L-DOPA. Never take it for an extended period of time without a good anti-oxidant regimen and some sort of NMDA antagonist or sigma ligand.

I LIKE TO TALK WITH BOLD LETTERS AND IN RED!!! ITS MUCH MORE FUN!!

Why the hell does everybody list their medication regimen in their sig?

Here's mine:

Drugs! xxxmg
Drugs! xxxmg
Drugs! xxxmg

Last edited by meadd823; 02-05-09 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: Quote consistency only
Old 02-11-09, 02:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation

hi *firstdesserts *you said about the vidos do you have more sooo i can make notessss sooo that i may email *Dr. Barkley* if you could psss the email add to me assss i like to send him one as welll!!! as there alot things he has brought up and id like ask frew thingssss and see what they have to say there great vidos thanks for posting them dorm *
Old 02-15-09, 09:34 PM

Tencifen is on a distinguished road

Hello. I am new to the forum. After reading the Wikipedia entry on SCT and listening to Dr. Russell Barkley's lecture on YouTube I am certain that I also have SCT.

I read the previous entries and noticed some similarities and differences.

I can't hold an math problem in my mind's eye while calculating. I have to put it on paper so I can refer back to it.

I can walk and talk as fast as most people do so, I often pass as normal. I have no trouble getting to work on time and I am not tired all the time.

On the other hand, I would be one on the last to finish a test in any subject. In basic math I often could not finish timed tests. Oddly I did well at high math (Geometry through differential equations) but not so well at lower math.

I am error prone and it takes me longer to do work. I have to find ways to speed things up like making and following checklists for projects and making macros for repetitive things.

I love to keep my mind stimulated by reading even though I am slow at it. I can write but it takes a while to word it the way I want to. For emails I have to refer to other emails to find courteous phrases.

I often miss exits and have to make u-turns when driving.

I can't remember peoples names and am very quiet. I have a hard time starting conversations, following conversations and finding the words to say when I want to make a point.

I am glad to have found this post. I hope to learn from others how they cope. I have not decided whether or not to try medicine or not.
Old 02-15-09, 11:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of

Hi Tencifen, welcome ... I know it's offtopic a bit to say welcome in a non welcome topic, so let me disguise it a bit ...

*ehrm*

Quote:
I read the previous entries and noticed some similarities and differences.
Ah, it is good there remain some! It'd get to be awfully boring if it weren't so.

Quote:
I can't hold an math problem in my mind's eye while calculating. I have to put it on paper so I can refer back to it.
That's a BIG "yes me too!"

Quote:
I can walk and talk as fast as most people do so, I often pass as normal. I have no trouble getting to work on time and I am not tired all the time.
I'd say a 2.5 out of 4. I can walk and talk fast - well, some times, not necessarily all the time .. but have a hell of a lot of trouble getting to work on time.

I thought the other day that it may be some sort of hitherto undiscovered relativity principle: the invariance of ADD time shortage. It goes like this: you are always five minutes* late, even if you compensate that because you know it. Somehow, time shrinks when you get up earlier. Or the universe stretches. Same result: too late.

* or 10, or 15 minutes .. does not matter, the principle stays the same.

I'm not tired either. Hardly ever. It's annoying, because it tends to cause a lack of sleep.

Quote:
On the other hand, I would be one on the last to finish a test in any subject. In basic math I often could not finish timed tests. Oddly I did well at high math (Geometry through differential equations) but not so well at lower math.
I hate timed tests. But I do some very well, others very poor. Especially where that combination of "holding something in mind" and "processing" comes in.

Quote:
I am error prone and it takes me longer to do work. I have to find ways to speed things up like making and following checklists for projects and making macros for repetitive things.
I recognise the macro's and shortcuts thing. But that's good in my opinion. Work smarter, not harder. Even for NT folk.
Checklists don't work too well. When I am busy with something else (hyperfocus is the worst) I just do not look on them, or, when they are of the kind that beeps, I hit the "snooze" button until it stops.

Quote:
I love to keep my mind stimulated by reading even though I am slow at it. I can write but it takes a while to word it the way I want to. For emails I have to refer to other emails to find courteous phrases.
I don't know if I am slow at that. I think that I am slow in the I/O, but fast in the CPU. So it depends on whether the job is I/O intensive I suppose.

Quote:
I often miss exits and have to make u-turns when driving.
I hope not when you have dual carriageways

Quote:
I can't remember peoples names and am very quiet.
yes, certainly that one too ...

Quote:
I have a hard time starting conversations, following conversations and finding the words to say when I want to make a point.
check check check check check - it is one of the things that are most visible to the outside world.

Quote:
I am glad to have found this post. I hope to learn from others how they cope. I have not decided whether or not to try medicine or not.
when you decide to try, you can still decide to not actually *use* it.

Welcome!
- Lúthien

-- the Lay of Leithian. J.R.R. Tolkien

ADD inattentive / dex 60 mg/d

The Following User Says Thank You to Luthien For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (02-28-09)
Old 02-28-09, 02:54 PM

Technojunkie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I take L-DOPA. But you can't be reckless with it. You can't just dose it any time you want, at whatever dosage you want. Too much L-DOPA can lead to VERY toxic effects on the brain. Anti-oxidants help, especially Vitamin C, but they don't completely prevent the risks of side-effects.

These side-effects are known as dyskinesia. The hand shaking you see with parkinson's disease is related to L-DOPA supplementation. They're not sure if it's the disease itself, the L-DOPA itself, or the combination of the two, but either way, one should be very careful when taking L-DOPA. Never take it for an extended period of time without a good anti-oxidant regimen and some sort of NMDA antagonist or sigma ligand.
No L-DOPA for me then.

10mg of Adderall plus one Pyritinol capsule once or twice a day seemed to be helping, then I found out from Cognitive Nutrition that they're out of Pyritinol for the next 4-5 weeks. So I'm rationing my remaining capsules. Is there anything else I should try until they're back in stock? The bottle recommends Piracetam and L-Huperzine A to go with it, have you tried either of those? L-Huperzine A sounds a bit risky, Pyritinol less so.
GET TESTED FOR HEAVY METALS! Read Andrew Cutler and this Mercury Detox site devoted to Cutler's protocol. Mercury fillings are the common but far from only source. Mercury is one cause of Convergence Insufficiency, treated with vision therapy, presents similar to ADHD-PI, will come back if you don't chelate mercury. Mercury can also screw up your adrenals which, again, looks a lot like ADD. Eat Paleo! Petrochemical food additives aggravate ADHD!
Old 03-01-09, 01:16 AM

JRock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
4)To what benefit is changing the name from ADD-PI to SCT-> Really does it make a difference seeing the conditions respond to the same treatments.
I watched the video with this Doctor and he suggest NOT using Adderall and such to fix this ADHD-PI. He think some form of CBT and Social Skills training along with some med called strattera<SP?>

I don't know if this had been mentioned yet....I am still shifting all the pages
Old 03-01-09, 06:25 AM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

Can I say that I don't particularly care if this diagnostic issue is resolved? Like it or not, this thread IS the de facto "inattentive" section in this forum.

After a day like today it is good to be amongst those that can understand. I do wish I could trade some unlucky person a day doing some of the"knowledge work" that some here engage in with a day at the cash register that I just finished...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
...I always fight back, and get where I want in the end, be it in my own way, in my own tempo.
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (03-01-09)
Old 03-04-09, 10:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation

there harder life is the more you tight back

dorm
Old 03-05-09, 09:49 AM
Forum Guru

johnny s. has a spectacular aura aboutjohnny s. has a spectacular aura about

ahhh... I've finally found the 'inattentive' section of the forum.

nice to see you all
Old 03-18-09, 11:53 PM

yankees440 will become famous soon enough

I am currently on strattera. I find this drug to work great for sct in addition to anxiety/depression. I am now more attentive in conversations and i feel like my brain has finally woken up. Lemme no if any of you notice similiar results while on strattera.
Old 03-19-09, 03:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock View Post
I watched the video with this Doctor and he suggest NOT using Adderall and such to fix this ADHD-PI. He think some form of CBT and Social Skills training along with some med called strattera<SP?>
And where, I wonder, does this Video Doctor get that wisdom from?
As far as I know, the only hard fact that I have seen in this context (inattentive / SCT vs ADHD w/ H *and* medication) is that we respond better to amphetamine based meds (ie Adderall or dex), as opposed to methylphenidate (ie Ritalin).

Quote:
He think some form of CBT and Social Skills training ...
oh, here we go again.

The umpteenth anti-stimulant-alternative-practitioner who thinks they do good ignoring decades of clinical practice and research which tells that stimulant meds do help us.
If it weren't for the dozens of times that I have now read about all those "new" ADD ppl who are made to go through the grind of being put on several different AD's in a row or other "treatments" before they find a doc who is knowledgeable about AD(H)D - it might even be funny.

Only, it isn't.

And the CBT and social sk- my goodness! I just don't know whether to laugh or cry about this.
Sure! Of course! One thing though - therapy - hah! - therapy's too good for them. Why not flog a bit of discipline and action into those unwilling lazy so-called ADHD'ers?

Quote:
... along with some med called strattera<SP?>
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankees440 View Post
I am currently on strattera. I find this drug to work great for sct in addition to anxiety/depression. I am now more attentive in conversations and i feel like my brain has finally woken up. Lemme no if any of you notice similiar results while on strattera.
For me Strattera was awful - even in the slowest possible titrating up. Made me depressed, walk unsteady, groggy, tearful, anxious.

-- the Lay of Leithian. J.R.R. Tolkien

ADD inattentive / dex 60 mg/d

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luthien For This Useful Post:
Captain Obvious (03-20-09), firstdesserts (03-19-09), Technojunkie (03-19-09)