ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 07-20-09, 01:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

willinabox is on a distinguished road
Re: Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT)

I don't think you can even get dex near me...I can definitely get vyvanse though
Old 07-22-09, 04:35 AM

der_vogel is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT)

I am new here and I think that I have SCT.

I read about this disorder before(like 1 and a half year before) but the thing that is lagging me from getting treatment is that in my country I just can't see psychiatrist or so whatever.

I decided to medicate my self through smoking but that didn't help on the long run so I quit it since almost 2 months for good.

We don't have stimulant in my country so the first and the second line treatment failed for me and the third line fail too because even that we have stratera it is still too expansive for me (it cost more than 100$ for 20 pills).

Now that I am left with the 4th line treatment(antidepressants) I wanted to ask what is the best medicine for SCT in my case.

I will appreciate any reply, please help me!!!

PS:we only have famous drugs so please give me something that I can find in my homeland.
Old 07-22-09, 09:11 PM
Contributor

Kiri is a jewel in the roughKiri is a jewel in the roughKiri is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_vogel View Post
I am new here and I think that I have SCT.

I read about this disorder before(like 1 and a half year before) but the thing that is lagging me from getting treatment is that in my country I just can't see psychiatrist or so whatever.

I decided to medicate my self through smoking but that didn't help on the long run so I quit it since almost 2 months for good.

We don't have stimulant in my country so the first and the second line treatment failed for me and the third line fail too because even that we have stratera it is still too expansive for me (it cost more than 100$ for 20 pills).

Now that I am left with the 4th line treatment(antidepressants) I wanted to ask what is the best medicine for SCT in my case.

I will appreciate any reply, please help me!!!

PS:we only have famous drugs so please give me something that I can find in my homeland.
Wellbutrin is an anti-depressant that is sometimes used to treat ADD, and so might help with SCT. There is a message board on this website about it. Maybe you can get that in your country.

I hope you can get the help you need!
Old 07-23-09, 07:51 AM

der_vogel is on a distinguished road

It is not available in Syria too. We only have some SSRI and Tricyclic anti-depressant.

I had asked some pharmacies before and they where like "what the hack!!! we don't have it".
Old 07-27-09, 11:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

melby1980 has a spectacular aura aboutmelby1980 has a spectacular aura about

lol I can fall asleep on vyvanse! The only thing I have found that actually helps is adderall.
Old 08-05-09, 05:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

I started taking vyvanse, itss not bad if I take a moderate dose...however I still get swings in and out of energy too. Going to ask the doctor for dexidrine and see how that turns out since adderall gave me hardcore anxiety.
Old 08-05-09, 09:03 PM

Technojunkie will become famous soon enough

Vision therapy update: somehow I didn't get an accurate picture of just how long vision therapy takes. On average it's around 6 months, give or take. which I think is comparable to any other form of physical therapy. It is still working, they keep ratcheting up the degree of difficulty, but the therapy can make my eye muscles sore so I'm wary about starting a new job until I'm finished and have a little time to recover. That's probably due to the memory of screwing up so many jobs and classes in the past though. I still STRONGLY recommend getting your eyes checked for convergence insufficiency and other vision problems, just to know, but plan on a significant time commitment if you qualify.
GET TESTED FOR HEAVY METALS! Read Andrew Cutler and this Mercury Detox site devoted to Cutler's protocol. Mercury fillings are the common but far from only source. Mercury is one cause of Convergence Insufficiency, treated with vision therapy, presents similar to ADHD-PI, will come back if you don't chelate mercury. Mercury can also screw up your adrenals which, again, looks a lot like ADD. Eat Paleo! Petrochemical food additives aggravate ADHD!
The Following User Says Thank You to Technojunkie For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (08-05-09)
Old 08-06-09, 04:49 AM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,022 Times in 360 Posts
Schroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technojunkie View Post
Vision therapy update: somehow I didn't get an accurate picture of just how long vision therapy takes. On average it's around 6 months, give or take. which I think is comparable to any other form of physical therapy. It is still working, they keep ratcheting up the degree of difficulty, but the therapy can make my eye muscles sore so I'm wary about starting a new job until I'm finished and have a little time to recover. That's probably due to the memory of screwing up so many jobs and classes in the past though. I still STRONGLY recommend getting your eyes checked for convergence insufficiency and other vision problems, just to know, but plan on a significant time commitment if you qualify.
Yeah, they told me to expect long-term results in about 2 years or so, with the initial results making noticeable changes at 6 months, iirc. I want to keep going, but it's $500/month in my area and I'm in college right now, so it has to wait
Old 08-07-09, 11:21 AM
ADDvanced Member

I also went and got checked out for Convergence Insuffiency, My eye doc said that I did have it (not to an intense degree)

All he said for me to do was look at something like a pen with small letters on it and focus on the letters as I move it closer to my face, once it got blurry/double vision then I should pull back. He told me to try to move closer each day and to do it for about 10 times.
The Following User Says Thank You to willinabox For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (08-07-09)
Old 08-07-09, 01:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,791 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
but it's $500/month in my area
Why so much?

Phaedrus

Old 08-10-09, 03:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

I know that this threat is jumbled with different questions but I am just curious to see what medications if any all you ADHD-I SCT are currently taking. This is the only thread I have found regarding SCT

Right now im taking vyvanse but I think I am going to switch to dexedrine

I'm asking this because although the stimulant medications work great for focus, once my body becomes used to them they don't really help with wakefullness. I feel sedated like a zombie, so I can sit down and write a paper but I dont wanna be social etc.

Anyone with SCT had results with wellbutrin or modifinil?
Old 09-20-09, 06:30 AM
ADDvanced Member

so yeah anyone have any success stories in terms of treatment options (aside from red bull)
Old 09-20-09, 02:52 PM
Contributor

NekoGirl has a spectacular aura aboutNekoGirl has a spectacular aura about

^ Hey! Redbull is a valid treatment option... well, maybe not... if only insurance covered it *dreams*

I do excellent on Wellbutrin, within the first two weeks or so. It does go downhill after that, but just the fact that there's a chance of relief at all is important. Whatever is happening chemically for me in those first days works.

I get anti-social and incredibly awkward on Adderall/Ritalin as well. Haven't had Dex or Vyvanse.

"The back of the class is where I was / Keeping quiet, playing dumb..."
Old 09-20-09, 09:41 PM
Contributor

ADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of light

Vyvanse works well for me. And it does keep me awake. I take 140 mg. though.
Old 09-22-09, 11:19 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,022 Times in 360 Posts
Schroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnapl View Post
Why so much?
$125 a session out of insurance, once a week. I think most people do once every 2 weeks though.