ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 06-07-19, 01:54 PM

Rick_Scrant is on a distinguished road
Talking to my doctor about ADD

In order for this to make sense, I need to give some background information. My parents have always been very against any type of slightly addictive medication, for example, when I got my wisdom teeth out they wouldn't let me take any pain medication because they didn't want me to get hooked. So going into college I always assumed I had some kind of ADD because I could never sit still for more than 10 minutes and could never focus in class, but my parents always assured me that I was just being stubborn and I just need to learn to concentrate. So my first year of college was a disaster, I got a 2.7 my first semester and then a 2.4 my next, I had lost my scholarship and was heading for flunking out. I always had friends freshman year tell me I need to take Adderall so I could sit and study but I always refused because, like my parents, I believed I could succeed without drugs. Sophomore year I had a girlfriend who had a prescription for 20mg Adderal XR but never took them, she eventually convinced me to try it and so I did, at first I was jittery but then it changed the game, I could sit for 2 hours and read, or work on homework, I only took at most 2 a week, some weeks I would take none if I didn't have a test or homework due. My GPA skyrocketed, nothing below a 3.6 all the way through my first semester of senior year, I made it into medical school which I will now be attending in the fall. However halfway through senior year, my girlfriend and I broke up, I went my last semester without taking any study drugs and ended up with a 2.6 for that semester. Now I'm headed to medical school and just told my mom that I need to see a doctor for ADD, she doesn't know that I had been taking it throughout college, but when I have my appointment I don't know if I should tell my doctor that ive been taking Adderall. I don't want him to think I'm irresponsible, but I also really feel like I'm in a pickle. Do I tell my doctor I've been taking Adderal and what its done for me, or do I just tell him what I've been suffering with without it?
Old 06-14-19, 09:52 AM

Alphawave is on a distinguished road
Re: Talking to my doctor about ADD

Me personally I wouldn't say anything. If they hear you're going to medical school and you've taken a controlled prescription drug that wasn't meant for you, it doesn't look good.
It sounds like it definitely works for you, doesn't it? I would just tell them your symptoms and go from there. That's just my thought on it.
Old 06-14-19, 01:28 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,043 Times in 15,324 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Talking to my doctor about ADD

I think you should be honest or else the doc might start you on something useless or at a dose that doesnt work. You should be honest with your parents also. You are an adult now.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (06-14-19)
Sponsored Links