ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-15, 07:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

ADHDsim is on a distinguished road
ADHD or bipolar or both?

Hi,

Dexamphetamine has lessened my lows, allowed me to forward plan my life and stay on target. I keep on task quite well but I'm still prone to dipping into depression for a handful of days which still hinders my ability to be productive. It has also reduced my short lived bouts of "slight mania" I feel a lot more balanced on dexamphetamine.

Now I still have a couple days of lows, a couple days of normality and a couple of days where I feel possibly "too good" and "too calm" I can stabilise my thoughts and so I can stabilise where I'm going in life and keep on track.

It's only since finding my ideal dexamphetamine dose that I'm recognising that outside of a chaotic mind and world that I seemingly follow a random up and down mood state spanning roughly 2 weeks from top to bottom.

I don't feel that ADHD is solely responsible but I don't think bi-polar explains my chaotic lost mind. I feel I have both, I feel ADHD made bi-polar worse as if it would "Pull the pin on my ADHD mind" (then again i was always lost even during normal periods) and that bi-polar made my ADHD seem worse by way of depression.

What do you think? I'm seeig my psych on Friday, it's only the clarity give by dexamphetamine that has helped me to understand that my issues go beyond that of my thoughts and attention.

Last edited by ADHDsim; 10-27-15 at 07:17 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHDsim For This Useful Post:
TangledWebs (10-27-15)
Old 10-27-15, 07:12 AM
ADDvanced Member

Re: ADHD or bi polar of both?

Dexamphetamine has allowed me to recognise that when I'm down and blue "good days" are just around the corner.

My current cycle is like this:
Normal happy calm productive for 4-5 days
I start dipping lower and lower and I hit slight depression
I realise it and I fight it by pushing forward with my plans and I aim to keep on task.
Everything improves, I'm going well again
Then I hit at least one or two good days, I feel good and life is peaceful, calm (I take on more work and responsibilities)
Then I start dropping and I repeat, I use focus and planning to get out of depression.

For 99% of the time my dexamphetamines dose remains exactly the same.
Old 10-27-15, 07:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

I tried Prozac before dexamphetamine which frankly made me ok with my chaotic mind I sort of just went into a "mania state" more often which naturally felt good. I tried Prozac with dexamphetamine (doctors orders) and had a huge anxiety attack the next day.

Lexapro just made me numb and uncaring.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-15, 07:29 AM
ADDvanced Member

To clarify my worst racing thoughts were during depression, (seeking solutions which worsened my depression by way of getting lost in thoughts ) stimulation and "mania" brought calmness.

I'm a stimulation junkie it's sad for me to say that when I was untreated for ADHD I would drive so exceedingly fast with heavy complex music blaring out of my speakers all the while feeling so calm and happy... As my profile says I was bat **** crazy at times but so so calm. I don't even know if I entered "mania" or if I was just calm and suddenly had clarity of thought.

I've never done illegal drugs ever, I've always been in pursuit of good mental health, I'm not a bad or evil person just something with in me use to make me do stupid things!

Also "mania" episode with blaring music and stimulation seeking produced the best ideas and thoughts, I become extremly clever. I don't get delusions of any sort or hallucinations I get mental clarity and calmness which helped me make future plans.

Last edited by ADHDsim; 10-27-15 at 07:54 AM..
GigiBlue (11-13-15)
Old 10-27-15, 08:07 AM
Contributor

TangledWebs is just really niceTangledWebs is just really niceTangledWebs is just really niceTangledWebs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDsim View Post
Now, I still have a couple days of lows, a couple days of normality, and a couple of days where I feel possibly "too good" and "too calm."
Could you have Cyclothymia, or Cyclothymic Disorder? I'm not a doctor and I'm not able to diagnosis you, but since you seem to cycle between short periods of mild depression, short periods of hypomania, and periods of normal moods, I have to wonder if you have Cyclothymia. You could also have Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder. I don't know enough about you and I'm only able to provide you with my personal opinion. You should speak with your psychiatrist. Good luck!

Bipolar Disorder or ADHD:
http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorde...sorder_or_adhd
The Following User Says Thank You to TangledWebs For This Useful Post:
ADHDsim (10-27-15)
Old 10-27-15, 08:31 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,940 Times in 13,824 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

It's impossible to say. I was first diagnosed with bipolar disorder II before being diagnosed with ADHD and the psychiatrist who diagnosed me with ADHD said that my mood swings are most probably due to the severe emotional dysregulation that comes with ADHD. He explained to me the difference in this way:

In BP, your mood swings are often irrational (even though they can be triggered by an external event) in the sense that your mood doesn't necessarily correspond to what is going on at that moment. In ADHD your mood swings or emotional reactions aren't irrational, they are appropriate in type with respect to the trigger (so you feel sad if there is a sad trigger, happy if there is a happy trigger) but the intensity, duration and inability to soothe yourself are what is impaired.

Dex drastically evens out my mood, mainly because I don't react so strongly to every tiny little non-trigger anymore and since I've started taking dex I've never been depressed nor had any episodes that resembled hypomania. When I started taking dex though, I think, it did make me slightly manic/mixed in the first few months but that hasn't happened again. Anti-depressants when they worked also made me slightly hypomanic and gave me terrible, terrible mood swings.

I can imagine that if you have both that they make each other worse. Also, BP too can come with cognitive impairments (like memory issues), which can last beyond an episode. I agree that depression can make ADHD worse. In addition, many symptoms of depression (or even mania/hypomania) can mimic ADHD as well.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Abi (10-27-15), ADHDsim (10-27-15), aeon (10-27-15), Pilgrim (10-28-15), TangledWebs (10-27-15)
Old 10-27-15, 09:25 AM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
To clarify my worst racing thoughts were during depression, (seeking solutions which worsened my depression by way of getting lost in thoughts ) stimulation and "mania" brought calmness.

I'm a stimulation junkie it's sad for me to say that when I was untreated for ADHD I would drive so exceedingly fast with heavy complex music blaring out of my speakers all the while feeling so calm and happy... As my profile says I was bat **** crazy at times but so so calm. I don't even know if I entered "mania" or if I was just calm and suddenly had clarity of thought.

I've never done illegal drugs ever, I've always been in pursuit of good mental health, I'm not a bad or evil person just something with in me use to make me do stupid things!

Also "mania" episode with blaring music and stimulation seeking produced the best ideas and thoughts, I become extremly clever. I don't get delusions of any sort or hallucinations I get mental clarity and calmness which helped me make future plans.
To be honest what you said here does sound more like ADHD to me than BP. Stimulation makes me feel very clear (and something calm) as well. It also makes me feel excited, thrilled and euphoric.

How long do your manic or hypomanic episodes last? There is a general mood instability with BP apparently, so your mood can swing several times during the day but for a diagnosis of BP II, psychiatrist will look for at least one episode of hypomania that lasted for at least 4 days (or is it 2 now) and I think for a BP 1 diagnosis, it's at least one manic episode that lasted for at least 7 days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
ADHDsim (10-27-15), Lunacie (10-27-15)
Old 10-27-15, 12:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

Fuzzy only a couple of hours of "mania" and then I get tired and sleep albeit later than usual. And honestly dexamphetamine is making me mostly contempt at night so it's not happening. My mania as I describe only happens when the sun goes down (seriously sometimes I think "only a couple more hours until I feel good"

I'm getting calm and peaceful weekends (day time) since increasing my meds, are weekends suppose to feel peaceful and calm? Stupid question? I'm not use to this.
Fuzzy12 (10-28-15)
Old 10-27-15, 12:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

Re: ADHD or bipolar or both?

Thank you all so much , I appreciate the time you all took to reply.

This paragraphh here by fuzzy12 explains something very important to myself that I haven't been able to articulate.

In BP, your mood swings are often irrational (even though they can be triggered by an external event) in the sense that your mood doesn't necessarily correspond to what is going on at that moment. In ADHD your mood swings or emotional reactions aren't irrational, they are appropriate in type with respect to the trigger (so you feel sad if there is a sad trigger, happy if there is a happy trigger) but the intensity, duration and inability to soothe yourself are what is impaired"

So true and I only now understand this so much more after going up in my dexamphetamine doseage. There is no trigger for the swings in my mood. I can't point at a ADHD and blame it, it's not exactly there any more.

That's what's concerning me, my world is formulated and internally peaceful. Why am I slipping in and out of depression for no reason? A life event happens and I get upset for a day or two and I bounce right back up, I don't spiral.

I had a good Sunday, just so calm and contempt with my life, Monday down, bang Tuesday I wanted to stay in bed all day (pushed my self out the door) I didn't work Monday, Ive been gardening for two days Straight (something I love doing)

I've met a beautiful woman aswell, life is awesome! No idea what's brings me down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADHDsim For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (10-28-15), Kreeny62 (10-31-17)
Old 10-27-15, 01:27 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,018 Times in 14,809 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been diagnosed as bipolar?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ADHDsim (10-27-15)
Old 10-27-15, 07:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Have you been diagnosed as bipolar?
Nope, I'm talking with my doctor on Friday, I don't know what this is but I simply recognise that I'm up and down for no reason.
Old 10-28-15, 12:00 AM

Thanked 1,348 Times in 555 Posts
InvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond repute

http://m.additudemag.com/?url=http%3...referrer=#2739

That link; Is something that helped me a long time ago
Old 10-28-15, 04:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,018 Times in 14,809 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nope, I'm talking with my doctor on Friday, I don't know what this is but I simply recognise that I'm up and down for no reason.
The reason I ask is, a lot of people who have mood issues assume its bipolar. In fact I had a thread about this not to long ago.It seems like everyone is bipolar lately. Its so hard for me, because I live the chaos that is bipolar and people who have ups and downs assume they are bipolar too when it could be depression or as a result of their adhd.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 10-28-15, 06:04 AM
ADDvanced Member

Thank you sarahsweets, your comments are very valuable to myself.

I had a good think about this and simply what I've come back with is that ADHD is 24hrs a day. what I mean Is that in-between when the meds wear off and come back online there's a window of opportunity for **** to enter my mind and I lose focus on life again. I have to refocus every morning.

I'm not sure if this makes sense or if it's even fixable.
Old 10-28-15, 07:49 AM

I have these seemingly unexplainable mood swings too. Sometimes if I think hard or with a bit of imagination I can find a possible trigger. Often it's just tiredness and more often than anything else, I think, it might just be a state of under stimulation. Sort of like boredom. If I'm understimulated or bored or there's nothing exciting for my brain to latch on to I get depressed even in the absence of a clear trigger.

Strangely, dex evened out these mood swings for me but it did so only after I found the right dose and the right schedule and only after I think my body got used to it. The first few months were an absolute nightmare of mood swings.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
ADHDsim (10-28-15)