ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-18, 09:04 AM
Contributor

baical will become famous soon enough
my brother just got prescribed Lithium, why?

I believe my brother was on Celexa and Abilify, but now was switched to Abilify and Lithium (carbonate?). Is that even a good combo?

Reason for that was he was blowing his entire paycheck on anything he "wants" rather than what he "needs", and some things he bought were given away like they were nothing. I believe this was a sign of bipolar (i.e. overspending). He would always get the latest gadgets and or its updates/updated version then would lose interest and look for the "next best thing" available. He made more money than me yet he started asking me for money! This was the time I think he knew something was wrong and told his psychiatrist and thus was switched to Lithium. Good call? He said he feels much better. But I don't get why the Abilify is still prescribed to him.
Old 04-22-18, 11:58 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,437 Times in 15,029 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: my brother just got prescribed Lithium, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baical View Post
I believe my brother was on Celexa and Abilify, but now was switched to Abilify and Lithium (carbonate?). Is that even a good combo?
I'm not sure. Celexa is an SSRI and abilify is an atypical antipsychotic. Lithium is a mood stabilizer. Im not sure if the removal of the antidepressant is the best course of action. So now he is on an AAP and a mood stabilizer.

Quote:
Reason for that was he was blowing his entire paycheck on anything he "wants" rather than what he "needs", and some things he bought were given away like they were nothing. I believe this was a sign of bipolar (i.e. overspending). He would always get the latest gadgets and or its updates/updated version then would lose interest and look for the "next best thing" available. He made more money than me yet he started asking me for money! This was the time I think he knew something was wrong and told his psychiatrist and thus was switched to Lithium. Good call? He said he feels much better. But I don't get why the Abilify is still prescribed to him.
Well with bipolar I and II an antipsychotic is often given to help with mood, more specifically the impulsive parts of mood that is usually seen as risk taking behaviors( like spending or sex sometimes drugs and alcohol too). I am bipolar II and I take an antidepressant, a mood stabilizer and an antipsychotic.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 04-22-18, 10:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

mood stabilization obviously; sounds like his bipolar disorder is not well managed. it's a good combo if you don't get side effects. Lithium requires regular blood tests to insure levels are not toxic
The Following User Says Thank You to allesandro1 For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (04-22-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-18, 04:00 AM

Lash107 is on a distinguished road

Abilify targets mania and any psychosis....and it’s also been approved by the FDA for major depression.

Lithium is a mood stabilizer that targets more of the depressive side, in my experience.

I don’t take Lithium anymore, but Lithium, Abilify and Lamictal (and some other meds) pulled me out of one of the worst mixed episodes of my life. Lithium and Abilify were key for me. Saved my life, really. He needs to drink plenty of water.