ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-04, 09:59 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Dreameralive_sky has disabled reputation
Scared of ADD!!

Scared of ADD! I am a 21 years old female now, a student in some college. Had alot of problems in organizing my time and concentrating. I procrastinate too much so i never ever ever never finish studying my exams at all. Cannot concentrate in lectures.Always feeling fatigued. I have been getting really lousy results for past 3 years. Perhaps even the last in class. Do you think i am lazy or i just have ADD. I am currently taking B6 20mg and other B vitamins not more than 10mg. Which is very little i know. I also take gingko biloba. Think it helped relieve my monthly pms problems. Everytime when it was exams time i never ever finish studying for it. I will get about 4 days for each module and never finish. But i am very scared of failing to the extent i will study until the last second that i take my exam and i forsake my sleep. I just take alot of coffee and gingko to feel alert and not get some silly mental block. Am i lazy? Even if i drew up timetable i never get to follow it. I just tried out today. See it never work. Frustrated me really!!

Helps anyone? I am not on medication. Would like to know about any natural therapy or vitamins. Thanks for the time and inputs.

Old 09-12-04, 11:01 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
Generally, I say if you have to ask if you're lazy, you're probably not lazy.

I'm not going to pretend to give a diagnosis, but it certainly sounds like you might have ADD. Of course, you might have something else. What I'd do is take an ADD symptom inventory for adults, and see if you fit the picture. Then I'd go looking for a psychiatrist or psychologist and get some tests done, no matter how it comes out, because it certainly seems like you are having difficulties.
Old 09-12-04, 11:08 AM
can't remember diddly

Thanked 6,055 Times in 3,094 Posts
EYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb

There are lists of symptoms on line, WEB MD is where I went to first and if you do a search here there's links to more.

Have you had these problems since you were little or did it just crop up for college? If it's a brand new symptom, maybe your work load at college is too much. (I'm not attempting to diagnose, just pay attention to other signs.)

For myself, low iron made things worse. If you can afford it, instead of taking a hodge podge of B vitamins, try a natural well balanced one, such as Shaklee's multi w/ iron or Nature Sunshine's Pre-Natal (I take that one and I'm not expecting, and no, I don't sell it.)

Would you benefit from a study partner? Someone you can quiz each other with, or just keep each other on track? Whatever you think you'd be comfortable with (cute, attractive person not suggested due to distraction )

You sound really overwhelmed, if you notice signs of depression with it, get some help there, don't wait until you're completely unable to function and flunking.

Hope the articles and info here will help you out. Knowing the reason for your confusion could be a great relief, because then you can get the help you need. Eventually, like some of us, you may make friends with ADD, and have it work for you rather than against you. We're a creative bunch.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-04, 11:39 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thank you for your suggestions. I am not comfortable with seeing a psychologist. I had diagnosed with anxiety and depression about 2years back. I took some medicines for 1 or 2 months and dropped out of it due to side effects. From then on, i just try to will myself out of it. lol. I have heard pple cannot will themselves outta depression but i managed to. I managed it by accepting my mistake and realising some things are out of my control. I also let go my anger and pain as i forgive some people who had hurt me the most. The pain have to go before the healing comes. At the same times i will also take some vitamins B..well now i have not been feeling depressed for like 1 year? There are no more suicidal thingys..so i would say it is not depression now. I don't like seeing psychologist so i did not turn up on my appointment. I will not do anything, not even if it is a cure for me if i have to risk getting my memory bad as a side effects of medications. because i badly need the memory to pass, although now i am still not excellent at it but it is at least functioning.
Old 09-12-04, 01:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Ian has disabled reputation
There is much I have done both before and after I was diagnosed. Most of it hinges on building my self esteem and keeping my body healthy in order that my mind have the best chance it can have to function well.

Sleep continues to be an issue but.. hey one thing at a time and we all have plenty of places to work on ourselves I'm sure.

Getting regular heavy exercise has helped me a lot in every aspect of my coping skills. I take 220 and subtract my age to get my maximum heart rate then multiply that by .75 to get a number that's 75% of my maximum. I aim at having my heart rate at that level for a half hour at least three times a week. I do better if it's four times and sometimes depending on how I feel I'll do it every day.

Once a week I try and go until I'm lightly toasted. :^) Which means I go hard enough to find my limits by having a higher heart rate for a longer period.

Resting days are at least as powerful a builder of confidence for me as that's when I get the rush of strength and strong sense of well being.

The exercise is the single most potent help I've had.. besides the folks here on the board. It took me a good six weeks to get in the groove and show some serious evidence of improvement but I'm thick headed on many points and I still have much to learn.

There is an active thread of here in the "exercise" forum that helped get me started and was a huge help in keeping me going. Having company here has helped enormously.

Keeping my food intake down to reasonable levels and dropping a lot of the carbohydrates has been another huge help. I include sugar, pasta, rice, bread and potatoes in that list. More fish and lean protein takes the place of the carbs. I eat lighter smaller portions and that helps give me a way more energy. I can not stay stuck when I'm on track like that. If I've been eating lean meals and exercising hard, my sleep patterns are better and I simply can't stay still and often have the mental fortitude to get to some of the things that are "supposed" to be done.

I take Dexedrine and have done for the better part of the last year. It's an old drug, well documented with little or no side effects. It's clean and it seems to work for many people with ADHD. I'm a fan. I resisted using meds for the longest time but I would not want to be without my Dexedrine now. I think it helps if only for insurance against the roller coaster I tend to ride.

I also have been lucky to find a coach and therapist that address so many elements that I need maintained. A coach is very helpful to me but I can see how difficult it would be to find one that suited me. I've been very lucky.

I hear your frustration. I hope by telling your story here and getting involved with the forums and topics you find here that you'll begin to see hope and progress in the ways you most desire.

Welcome.
ian
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 09-12-04, 01:44 PM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Another good question you may want to ask yourself is if, when you drink caffeine, coffee, etc. you feel like your symptoms lessen, or you get some kind of mental clarity? This is not a diagnostic tool: caffeine and stimulants help most people, but it does show a precedent for stimulants decreasing your symptoms, which is consistent with ADD (I used the dread phrase! hehe)
Old 09-12-04, 04:26 PM

curious is on a distinguished road
You're right, it is kind of scary to think you might have ADD. Just the thought that if it is, it's for life, and it's another label on you... it does turn out to be a lot less serious than that original, intimidating thought. Because really, what would it change about you? if you do have ADD, you'd still be the same person. If you don't have ADD, these problems are not gonna go away. What you really wanna do is try to do better in college, and for that you need to find the reasons for your problems, because otherwise you can't solve them. It will change some things in your prespective, and you will have to deal with the fact that you have it, for me (with many other things) it did add the factor of having something about myself to tell people, or wonder if I should tell, to my life... but finding it out did so much more good! And ADD is really nothing, nothing to be afraid of... I guess mainly because you don't have to find out what it is, it's not about things that *will* happen to you, if you do have it, it's there already, you already know everything about it... all you have to do now is turn it to your benefit.
Old 09-12-04, 05:29 PM

Draga has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD_hamster
Scared of ADD! I am a 21 years old female now, a student in some college. Had alot of problems in organizing my time and concentrating. I procrastinate too much so i never ever ever never finish studying my exams at all. Cannot concentrate in lectures.Always feeling fatigued. I have been getting really lousy results for past 3 years. Perhaps even the last in class. Do you think i am lazy or i just have ADD. I am currently taking B6 20mg and other B vitamins not more than 10mg. Which is very little i know. I also take gingko biloba. Think it helped relieve my monthly pms problems. Everytime when it was exams time i never ever finish studying for it. I will get about 4 days for each module and never finish. But i am very scared of failing to the extent i will study until the last second that i take my exam and i forsake my sleep. I just take alot of coffee and gingko to feel alert and not get some silly mental block. Am i lazy? Even if i drew up timetable i never get to follow it. I just tried out today. See it never work. Frustrated me really!!

Helps anyone? I am not on medication. Would like to know about any natural therapy or vitamins. Thanks for the time and inputs.

NO WAY! You are not lazy...I think the reason we seem to procrastinate so much is that we plan on doing it but with ADHD we get distracted by other things...it does not mean we are Lazy...There is a really popular ADHD Book called "You mean I am not Crazy, Lazy, or Stupid by Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo. It's highly recommended

I have the same problems and tried the vitamins, but I never had as good a effect as on Medication...Dexadrine..Adderall...Ritalin....Espe cially on Adderall..I was in School for Electronics at night while working 4am-12pm back to back..I was so focused on Adderall..My Assigments, notes, and even some assigments were done ahead of time...And it helped me focus on studying...I would study all night long..Go to work..Study more..and did pretty good on test...but ya know that is just me..everyone's chemistry is different...but it may just work for ya too...of course that is up to you, shugga. Hugs

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 09-13-04, 12:17 AM

Eve is on a distinguished road
I don't know you so I can't tell you if you are lazy, and also I think only you can truely decide that for yourself. Don't feel bad about having trouble in school, I am on meds and I still have my issues sometimes. Don't be scared if you have ADD, it is best to accept it. That way it is not holding you back. Natural remedies are always a good way to go.

First start with multi vitamins, if you are not already taking them.

Evening Primrose Oil in gel caps(that's what I take), can be really helpful. They are good for a lot of different reasons. I take them for PMS, a week or two out of the month(they also help with ADD). Depends on when I remember.

Then there are notrophics, which I have never tried. A lot of people have recomended them to me and from the research I've done on they seem like they'd be worth a try. I forgot about them untill just now, maybe I will try them yet. Pircetam is supposed to be a really good one.

All in all even if you do decide to take herbal supplements I suggest you talk to your doctor.
Old 09-13-04, 05:15 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanks for all the inputs
I had a terrible day in school today. I felt so much like crying. Do u know what happened? All because my results sucks, people who i think are my friends are bullying me and pushing me around. All because i took extra 2 years more than them, so they are younger than me they always used this reason to pressurise me. Do u know how desperately unhappy i was? I was unhappy in high school and now in college the same thing must happen. I know this is ADD forum, sorry for telling about this. If any relationship perhaps ADD is a little bit responsible for my sucky results and making me taking a longer education time. It boiled up my blood today when they just DON't respect me enough as a leader all because i am not academically good. Although they don't say it out, but i guess this is more or less the reasons or i don't want to misunderstand them. I tried to lead, but u will know when they talk they would not even look at your eyes. They don't respect me at all. They were singing national athem when i was holding the meeting. And an ******* was so dorminant and trying to lead the team. She force me to be a leader and wouldn't let me lead. They kept pushing me. I wonder how good can they be as a friends if they can bear to do this on me. How good can they really get? And why, give me a good reason why i should let myself be depressed over them and their selfish ways. I have just gotta out of depression 1 yr ago. I am NOT going back on it again. I am unhappy so i am saying all these.

For that question about coffee, yes i love coffee alot. When i couldn't get down to do my serious works or when i procrastinate, i drink coffee. And the coffee must be black coffee without sugar or milk so i can feel its effects.

I really must cry out now. I have no family supports and neither do i have friends support. Friends i think are friends must let me down now. I don't want to see them neither do i want to talk to them ever again. But i still have to see them.
Old 09-13-04, 05:41 AM

Awe, Hugs Hamster, Don't have to applogize at all...most of us can imagine..Like me cause I dealt with the INFANTS before..You can tell them from me...Age is just a number and it dont matter if they are younger or not...You will still make something of yourself reguardless. School is not a race to see who finishes first..You are there to better yourself..not to compete in an ego contest.

Sweetie I know exactly how you feel...When I was working I did twice as much work as the managers and crew came to me for advice sometimes...Managers didn't mind as long as I did my job and even theirs...but they would be damned if they would accept me an an equal and promote me.....and dispite all that I did...I was shown no respect and always looked over while ppl who have not been there as long as I have..PPL I TRAINED suddenly were now my boss!

I dont blame you for being hurt and angry.....But...Ya know what...**** Em...If they want to be jerks like that...let em cause you know u are better than that...Turn that anger into pity for them for their closed minds and cold hearts. Hugssssss.

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 09-13-04, 01:05 PM

curious is on a distinguished road
hey girl...

you deserve respect, and if they don't wanna give it to you just go out there and demand it! you don't want to see them and you really, really don't need them as it sounds like you'll be better off alone than being with these people. You are your own woman and you don't need them to tell you what you're worth. Just as soon as you start believing it yourself... that you're not lazy, and you do want and you can do everything like everyone else only there's something stopping you, finding about ADD and taking care of it is the last thing you should be afraid of! that's just another thing you will do to better yourself, and you've already done so much more than these people who I don't know where they got the idea they're so great, and they're definitely not better than you! if anything, you're the one who's alot better, because you are the one with all this inner strength so come over all these tough things that are going on with you. So just believe in it yourself girl, don't take anyone hard because you are so much better than people like that. And start doing more steps to make yourself even more successful, and feeling better about yourself, as you deserve!
Old 09-13-04, 02:34 PM

Eve is on a distinguished road
Smile

Don't worry everything will work out, even if it doesn't seem like it now.

I'm 22 and just started back in college this year. I took an English class but never completed it. Also I took pottery class. Now I'm going full time and it seems like a lot. I have 4 classes so it a lot to take in and separate from each other. So look at me I could be done with school by now if I would have started right away and just done it. I don't worry about that though, as the important thing is I am going now.

People that riducule you and make you feel bad are not your friends. If they are then they have issues. Maybe they are jealous of you. Avoid them unless you feel you are ready to deal with em. There's no point in putting yourself through pain if you can avoid it. So smile and find something to laugh about. Try to remember this it's not what other people think about you, it's what you think about yourself that matters. I personally try not to care what others think. Your friends seem like a waste of time untill they can learn some respect.
Old 09-13-04, 03:39 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanks for all the inputs. Ya, i really agree they are only a waste of my time. They used not to be like that when i first knew them. As maybe we are graduating soon, they feel they can afford to have people who dislikes them maybe they just think that even so we are all leaving. I don't know what happened to them. It is not everyone with such a lousy attitude i really hates. So pretendious and they wil always think you have some motives when u really sincerly not have any motives. Maybe just 3 people who are behaving like this to me. Perhaps these are enough for me. They are so wierd. They were not like that when i first knew them 2 years back. I finally see what is their "true colors". One particular gal is very good academically but she is a very revengeful and competitive person. Even u are her friend, she does not believe in friend but she believe in "you are also my competitor". She is kinda selfish too. I don't know what makes her like that. Maybe it was because of her unhappy experiences in high school. she is not sociable at all, and introverted but all because she almost scored As for every modules, she won almost 100% popularity in our group. Don't u think it is so unfair. All because my results are not good, this is what i deserve from them? I am not angry, hurt or what. I cannot control how they can accept me or not. It is their choice. I cannot control how they want to think. But i know this very important thing is not to befriend a person all because he or she have a "use" for you such as being academically good. Just like u will see pretty gals always gain popularity in school. I know this is not entirely everyone behaving like that. But knowing after 2 years of friendship, i finally see that they are "no-body" at all. They cannot give me the friendship i want, true type and patient. All i get everyday are insults and words that hurt me and things they will say to make me feel different. I know i am not mature enough in handling this. from now on i will think seriously what is left of the friendship. I can no longer act like a fool and think i need them too much to lose them or else i will be lonely in school. That does not matter. I need my pride my feelings more than this..

Thanks for all the inputs.
Old 09-13-04, 04:12 PM

Talking

Hamster...I dunno if you are inta Metallica but there is that song that make me think about the ones at your school.....Holier Than Thou
Holier than Thou

No more!the craps rolls out your mouth again
haven't changed, your brain is still gelatin
little whispers circle around your head
why don't you worry about yourself instead
who are you? where ya been? where ya from?
gossip is burning on the tip of your tongue
you lie so much you believe yourself
judge not lest ye be judged yourself
holier than thou
you are
holier than thou
you are
you know not
before you judge me take a look at you
can't you find somethig better to do
point the finger, slow to understand
arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand
it's not who you are it's who you know
others lives are the basis of your own
burn your bridges build them back with wealth
judge not lest ye be judged yourself
holier than thou
you are
holier than thou
you are
you know not

Does this not say it all or What....Hehe I have to download dis song..but shhh don't tell Napster or Lars *evil chuckle*