ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 01-29-08, 07:05 PM
Jr Member

cheddar is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse v.s. Adderall & Focalin

As my Adderall (20mg XR) & Focalin (5mg IR) scripts wane and I near my first month on vyvanse, I'm beginning to worry.

Background: the adderall has helped me considerably, but it wears off early in the afternoon. moreover, my supplemental dose of focalin does not help me whatsoever. After talking to my doc about this, he suggested that I try vyvanse once a day and ditch the supplemental dose, and I'm comfortable with this idea.

Worries: I understand that Focalin is dexmethylphenidate (d-isomer of methylphenidate, i think), and also that vyvanse is, essentially, dextroamphetamine (d-isomer of amphetamine, after being metabolized of course). My concern is that because the d-isomer/focalin didn't work, then the d-isomer/vyvanse won't work.

Am I being irrational? Can anyone describe their experiences with these medications?
Old 01-29-08, 11:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

2scattered is on a distinguished road
Re: Vyvanse v.s. Adderall & Focalin

Yes they are both comprised of the d-isomer but Focalin is methylphenidate and Vyvanse is amphetamine. You are switching type of stimulants and will likely have a completely different experience unrelated to the d-isomer. Focalin is one of the only meds I haven't tried so I can't give you any insight on how it is different from Vyvanse. Good Luck.
Old 01-30-08, 10:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

Vyvanse may or may not help as much as Adderall. That said, Adderall is 3/4 d-amphetamine (in various salt forms) and 1/4 l-amphetamine (which gives more phsyical stimulation, kick-in-the-butt effect).

I've been on Vyvanse since September 07 and like it so far. 1 dose lasts longer than 2 doses of Adderall XR for me.

J
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-08, 12:47 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1973 View Post
Vyvanse may or may not help as much as Adderall. That said, Adderall is 3/4 d-amphetamine (in various salt forms) and 1/4 l-amphetamine (which gives more phsyical stimulation, kick-in-the-butt effect).

I've been on Vyvanse since September 07 and like it so far. 1 dose lasts longer than 2 doses of Adderall XR for me.

J
It's encouraging to hear that a single dose of vyvanse lasts so much longer for you. Hopefully that'll be the case for me too, as that's the main reason for my switching. I'm still not completely able to distinguish the kick-in-the-butt effect from the kick-in-the-head effect (if you will) that my adderall causes, but I'm hoping that my newfound motivation and ability to curb my impulsive behavior isn't completely due to the levoamphetamine - I doubt it is, though.

Thanks for the input 2scattered and JR1973. I'm still open to comments/suggestions if you two or anyone else wants to say something.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheddar For This Useful Post:
Maurice (06-15-08)
Old 02-02-08, 03:12 PM

sontag625 is on a distinguished road

Hi, not sure if you've tried the Vyvanse yet or not, but after being on adderall for about 2 years and trying Vyvanse, it was a great difference, but not much of a difference at all....if that makes sense.

My adderall wore off quite quickly as well. I would take it around 10 am and by 1 or 2pm, I was finding myself to become quite irratable at work - so much to the point that my boss would say "time to take your second dose, Lindsay!" Anyway, the vyvanse is like a smooth ride throughout the WHOLE day. We all love the UP'S we get from the adderall; granted the vyvanse doesn't give you such a "euphoric" feeling, you stay at a NICE constant level throughout the whole day - which I love. But beware, once it does start wearing off at night, make sure you're in for the night and done with your day - the "crash" seems to be alot more intense than the adderall. I'm always having to rush to the bathroom between 9-10 to do my "bed rituals" because I know by 11, I will barely be able to move.

All in all, I do really love the Vyvanse better. I just wish my insurance would cover it seeing that I'm 21, and my insurance will only cover it if youre between the ages of 6-12. I really think they should start prescribing to adults and get it passed for that. Best ADD med. I've ever taken!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sontag625 For This Useful Post:
Em620 (06-15-08), kwalk (10-20-08)
Old 02-05-08, 03:40 PM
Jr Member

This is day 2 on vyvanse (30mg) and, contrary to my worries, I am really quite satisfied with the results. All of the reports I had read in these forums led me to expect a "more smooth" -- no levoamphetamine -- adderall experience, and I guess that's the best description I can provide at this point. I have no experience with other dextroamphetamine meds, so, unfortunately, I can't make any insightful comparisons. I feel none of adderall's "kick-in-the-pants" effect, nor any of the other mild physical side effects like increased heart rate or (more rarely) muscle agitation. Additionally, vyvanse has yet to have any effect on my appetite, which I have happily welcomed back into my life. Vyvanse's onset is noticeably later than adderalls; although, it did (much to my surprise) seem to be effective for about 10 hours -- ~4 hours longer than adderall xr 20mg lasted me. I think that I may need to raise my dose to 50mg (my doc likes to start me at the lowest dose), but other than that I have no qualms. All in all, I think that Vyvanse will work out much better (for me, at least) than adderall had.
Old 02-23-08, 03:06 AM

natasha0913 is on a distinguished road
Re: Vyvanse or Adderall?

Vyvanese is not good for me.I'm 35 yr female married with child & run a bus.I have ADD with mild depression. Vyvanese has increased my depression & made me more emotional. Iv'e been taking 70mg for 4 weeks but the bad side effects started after 3 days and are getting worse.take it at 7:30am & it wears off around 2:00 with a crash & burn out. My day is pretty much shot while it's wearing off.Also, a huge problem for me is while it's wearing off I'm extremeley irratable,unable to focus,& more depressed,sometimes I cry,which didn't happen to me before.I have lost my composure & notice my communication isn't as good as before. DILATED PUPILS happen during the wearing off period & are extremley noticeable to everyone around me. looks like I'm high as a kite!! I'm not on anything else except a .50mgxanax at night to sleep along with .50trazadone.I don't really drink but if I do Vyvanese doesn't agree with alcohol for me. My Dr. has switched me to Adderall XR. I'll let you know.Anyone else have these side effects? If so have you tried Adderall XR & how is it?fficeffice" />>>
Old 06-11-08, 02:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

dixiepeep has disabled reputation

I am currently taking the Vyvanese 50 once daily. As far as I can tell it is wearing off around 2:00 p.m. I get up at five am every day and I work full time. I was able to get a lot accomplished this morning but now I am just spent as far as thought process is going.

Last edited by dixiepeep; 06-11-08 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: adding
Old 06-11-08, 06:19 PM
Contributor

ben72227 will become famous soon enough

I took Vyvanse for about a month in February. It was alright - to me it just seemed like Adderall without the physical stimulant (i.e. my mind was stimulated, but my body wasn't). This was good and bad - good because I didn't get the physical effects as bad (i.e. no cottonmouth, no muscle twitch, no excessive sweating) and it lasted longer - but bad because it doesn't have the same 'euphoria' I get with Adderall; Adderall (in addition to making me focused) also makes me more euphoric and social...Vyvanse just made me more focused.

I switched back to Adderall because the Vyvanse was lasting too long for me (I don't need a whole day's worth of stimulant...Adderall is just enough to get my through work/school).
Old 06-15-08, 01:14 PM
Jr Member

Em620 is on a distinguished road
Re: Vyvanse or Adderall?

I have the same problem with it wearing off too soon, and despite Shire's claims and what many other users report, I CRASH HARD when it does. I've tried skipping weekends so I'll have an extra dose available during the week, but when I do that I'm practically comatose the whole weekend.

Em
Old 11-02-08, 01:11 AM

lizzyboudreaux is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Vyvanse v.s. Adderall & Focalin

I have been taking vyvanse for about two weeks now and its makes me to where i cant eat,food just taste nasty.I cant sleep and I look like im high as a kite.I catch myself sometimes ina daze.Its the crazyest thing.
Old 11-03-08, 11:47 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

Lizzy, if you are still having those symptoms after 2 weeks I'd talk to your doctor. What you are explaining is what commonly happens if your dose is too high. Either a dosage reduction or switch to another med would probably be in order.

J
Old 11-06-08, 05:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

elegy is a jewel in the roughelegy is a jewel in the roughelegy is a jewel in the rough

I started Vyvanse about 2 weeks ago, after switching from Focalin. The Focalin pooped out on me, and after finally admitting defeat at 70mgs, my pdoc and I decided to give Vyvanse a shot. Now before I continue, I will say that I've been on at least 14 different psychiatric meds of varying kinds for my brain cooties. I'm very patient and tolerant of the dose titration and tweaking.

But this is awful for me. I feel so groggy and blank. I feel like I've turned into a complete zombie. I can't accomplish anything, to the point where I'm in tears with frustration. It also gives me a general feeling of malaise. It's gotten to the point of falling back into depression.

I'm scared that when I contact my pdoc, she's just going to up the dose. That's what she did with the Focalin, despite it not working effectively for a good 2 months even with large dosage increases. I've just had enough... I'm ready to wave my white flag on this one.
Old 11-06-08, 11:07 PM
Jr Member

inkedskullz is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Vyvanse v.s. Adderall & Focalin

Wow Im glad Im not the only one who experienced these side effects, my doctor said the same thing(this should be smooth) well it wasnt, the first day was great until the crash, bad *** head aches, loss of appitite, and yes food did taste nasty, I havent had depression since I was a teenager and about the thrid day in I was depressed and had no drive what so ever. I called my doct. and his assistant said it was just my brain turning to normal and I told her that was a crock. She told me to double up, mind you I was on 60mgs, so I did than it plained out along with proper sleep and motrin 800's but my doct. took me off from it becuase it was to much and the asst. lied her as off, any ways now Im on adderall xr and it is really good
Old 11-07-08, 12:09 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

I didnt like vyvanse as much as I hoped. I was only on it for about 2 weeks though . Maybe I should have gutted it out longer , but I didn't . Anyway , I'm adhd and have the usual clutter and hyperness feeling many times, but many times my meds allow me to focus fine, not all of the time but some of the time. Hey , thats better than nothing at all