ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 06-16-18, 10:55 PM

Slim.33 is on a distinguished road
I Messed Up...How do I fix it? - Dosing Issues With Doctor

The reason I have made this post is that I am in quite the dilemma with my psychiatrist. Here is some context:

I am now a Sophomore in High School with inattentive ADHD, and my road to diagnosis was a somewhat crazy one. I always thought that I didn't have ADHD for a few reasons, one of them was how my original perception of ADHD came about.

My sister has extremely severe ADHD, and she is on the hyperactive end of the spectrum. She was my only exposure to what the symptoms of ADHD were like, and with myself being on the opposite end of the spectrum, I was reasonably sure that I did not have it. My parents had a similar attitude to mine, so there was never any thought of me being looked at.

What changed my perception was a research project I did about a year ago, which showed me all the nuances of the disorder, and when I read about people that had experienced the inattentive side, their stories were almost identical to mine. For my whole life, the symptoms of ADHD had been extremely pervasive, and I always felt like the struggles I had were not a result of my ambition.

I was curious, and I did more research on it. I noticed that my sister was on a 15 mg dose of Focalin XR, which was relatively low. I am also nearly twice her weight, so I was sure it was safe. So I took it. (Obviously this was EXTREMELY dumb, I should have gone to someone to look into it, instead of self-medicating, but I was naive. I would also like to add, I did not take it for its recreational qualities, it was to see if it helped me with my everyday struggles with constant inattention.) And it was an incredible difference, I was able to pay a lot more attention, and maintain focus in class. So I took it some more. I think I can look objectively at this stint, and say that I was using it for it's intended purpose.

But this came to an end quick...I was oblivious to how prescriptions worked. So I got busted by my parents because my sisters prescription was finished before the refill date. They were extremely upset, I did explain to them that I thought I honestly had ADHD. They were extremely skeptical, but over time I showed them the research I had done, and they realized that I may have had moderate ADHD this whole time, just entirely different from my sisters.

So we went to the psychiatrist that my sister went to, and we went through the extensive process of getting diagnosed. He diagnosed me with ADHD, but he was frugal with the thought of medication since we were upfront about my use of my sister's meds. I assume he thought there was a risk of abuse because of my past. Even though I was as transparent as possible about my motives for why I took it in the first place.

Flash forward to earlier this June. He did prescribe me with 10 mg of Vyvanse, (for reference, I am 200 pounds.) from my research, this is the equivalent to 3 mg of Focalin XR. I took it, and I didn't notice anything. I talked with him about how I felt after 3 days. (The reason I was urgent with this was because of finals approaching.) I knew, and he knew that 15 mg of Focalin XR had a reasonable effect on me, not even optimal dose. I told him why I came in so quickly, and he told me to take two of the 10 mg. His demeanor suggested that 20 mg of Vyvanse is something he would want to stick around. So, after 3 days he asked me how it went, I told him that I noticed a fair difference, when in actuality I didn't see much. I was concerned that he thought I was chasing the potential euphoria, this is honestly not what I am trying to do. I am trying to find the right dose for my symptoms. I know I should have been honest, but I don't know what to do from here.

Sidenote: He was understanding of me asking for medication to take after school, for homework. It seemed he wanted to avoid IR because of what I assume to be potential for abuse. He tried to switch me to mydayis, but my insurance didn't cover it, so he has prescribed me Adderall XR. He hasn't told me the dosage, and I am yet to pick it up. I thought I would note this, just for more context. I thought I would post this tonight just to get my thoughts out.

The Table I Used for Conversion:
http://www.uacap.org/uploads/3/2/5/0...quivalency.pdf
Old 06-17-18, 06:29 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,270 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I Messed Up...How do I fix it? - Dosing Issues With Doctor

Wow you are very lucky. A lot of times when a doctor hears you took someone else's meds they shut the door on treatment for you. Just be patient. I know after the extensive research you think you know enough already but no amount of research will give you then info on how your body will react to meds even though you tried your sisters' meds. Sometimes with adhd, the more you know backfires. We get so hyperfocused on learning as much as we can and knowing all we can that we think we are experts. Add to that if we have tried meds before and we really think we've got it. Not to say you do not know your body well enough but at this stage you dont. You are a sophomore.. you have hormones and teen stuff to contend with that will affect how meds work for you and it will be different then how they work for an adult. I am not trying to patronize you.. I am just being honest. You have to give your doses more than three days as you inch upwards. Yes, the 10mg vyvanse was small and I know you looked at a chart but focalin and vyvanse are two different classes of meds so no matter what the chart says it will be different. You need to go with the slow titration even if it feels agonizing...just to be safe and find what is effective. And, you took your sisters' meds..something most docs would write you off over yet you have one still willing to deal with you...that is huge...

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (06-17-18), PoppnNSailinMan (06-19-18), Slim.33 (06-17-18), UndrwtrAthlete (07-02-18)