ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-18, 10:33 PM
Jr Member

Wire Mother is a jewel in the roughWire Mother is a jewel in the roughWire Mother is a jewel in the rough
Re: Diet and ADHD

I do keto--very low carb, high fat--and it has helped with some (though not all) of my ADHD-PI symptoms. I generally feel more grounded and less flighty, while also having more physical energy. And I only get hungry once a day, which is fantastic from an ADHD standpoint because I only have to cook and clean up once a day (and less than that, if I cook a lot of food ahead of time). I also don't eat a wide variety of foods, so I'm much more aware of exactly what is in the refrigerator and everything gets eaten before it has a chance to go bad, which has eliminated food waste. I also don't forget to pick up items when grocery shopping because my list is so short!

Carbohydrates are my nemesis, and I have finally accepted that. I will still eat a few bites of whole fruit occasionally, and I still eat and enjoy some green vegetables (especially broccoli), but sugar, grains, legumes, starchy vegetables, nuts, and tubers--they're all out. If I start eating any of them again, two things start to happen: 1) the craving cycle that leads to overeating, and eventual destructive binge eating, starts again; and 2) all of my inflammatory/autoimmune symptoms start to come back. Not to mention the brain fog and difficulty concentrating that I've always associated with ADHD, but I now suspect are at least in part due to immune response.

Cutting carbohydrate consumption to the bone is what it has taken for me to finally be free of compulsive binge eating and food cravings. It's very strange to not think about food, and what food I'm craving, all the time. Either I am hungry, and want to eat, or I am not, and when I am not hungry I don't think about food at all. It's also eliminated any desire for alcohol, or even smoking weed. I have no moral objection to either; I just don't want to do them any more. I do still drink coffee, but much less of it than I used to because I don't feel so tired and brain-fogged all of the time.

Keto has not been a "cure" for my ADHD by any means, mind you. My brain still has a hard time finding motivation to act; I still have difficulty concentrating on anything that doesn't interest me; and I still have a hard time "shifting gears" between anything I'm focused on and anything another person needs me to focus on. But it has made enough of a difference in my physical health and mental functioning that I intend to keep doing this.
Old 07-29-18, 07:54 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,270 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diet and ADHD

This is exciting to hear because I have been thinking of doing keto to drop 10lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Mother View Post
I do keto--very low carb, high fat--and it has helped with some (though not all) of my ADHD-PI symptoms. I generally feel more grounded and less flighty, while also having more physical energy. And I only get hungry once a day, which is fantastic from an ADHD standpoint because I only have to cook and clean up once a day (and less than that, if I cook a lot of food ahead of time). I also don't eat a wide variety of foods, so I'm much more aware of exactly what is in the refrigerator and everything gets eaten before it has a chance to go bad, which has eliminated food waste. I also don't forget to pick up items when grocery shopping because my list is so short!

Carbohydrates are my nemesis, and I have finally accepted that. I will still eat a few bites of whole fruit occasionally, and I still eat and enjoy some green vegetables (especially broccoli), but sugar, grains, legumes, starchy vegetables, nuts, and tubers--they're all out. If I start eating any of them again, two things start to happen: 1) the craving cycle that leads to overeating, and eventual destructive binge eating, starts again; and 2) all of my inflammatory/autoimmune symptoms start to come back. Not to mention the brain fog and difficulty concentrating that I've always associated with ADHD, but I now suspect are at least in part due to immune response.

Cutting carbohydrate consumption to the bone is what it has taken for me to finally be free of compulsive binge eating and food cravings. It's very strange to not think about food, and what food I'm craving, all the time. Either I am hungry, and want to eat, or I am not, and when I am not hungry I don't think about food at all. It's also eliminated any desire for alcohol, or even smoking weed. I have no moral objection to either; I just don't want to do them any more. I do still drink coffee, but much less of it than I used to because I don't feel so tired and brain-fogged all of the time.

Keto has not been a "cure" for my ADHD by any means, mind you. My brain still has a hard time finding motivation to act; I still have difficulty concentrating on anything that doesn't interest me; and I still have a hard time "shifting gears" between anything I'm focused on and anything another person needs me to focus on. But it has made enough of a difference in my physical health and mental functioning that I intend to keep doing this.

I carried a watermelon?