ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-15, 07:43 PM
Contributor

Kasi is a glorious beacon of lightKasi is a glorious beacon of lightKasi is a glorious beacon of lightKasi is a glorious beacon of lightKasi is a glorious beacon of lightKasi is a glorious beacon of light
ADHD and Concussions

Recently, (a couple months ago) I suffered what I now believe was a concussion. A lot of the confusion that I had about whether it had happened or not was due to the fact that, well, a lot of concussion (and post concussion syndrome) symptoms look a LOT like ADHD ones!

It's taken me a while to get that, yeah, some of it definitely has gotten worse. Like, my memory relevant to detail with recent conversations has become incredibly faulty sometimes even lacking to recollect entire ones. I spend a lot more time frustrated when I can't remember a specific word that I KNOW I know but just cannot recall. Often within a phrase.

I guess my question is, has anyone else here been diagnosed with ADHD and then proceeded to get a concussion (or PCS) and had a similar experience? Did you find anything that helped, or had a doctor tell you something that was something you think was pertinent?

I'm a little lost in the dark about this and I could use a bit of either knowing it hasn't just been me, or a little clarity on wtf exactly is going on.

(It's been forever since I've been around here, I feel bad about that!)

Thanks
~Winston Churchill
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (08-23-15)
Old 08-23-15, 08:26 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,792 Times in 8,903 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation
Re: ADHD and Concussions

Many years ago when I was drinking Wild Turkey 101 heavily and blacking out, I managed to fall off of the hood of a jacked up truck and, apparently, from the looks of my busted head when I woke the next day, landed right on it.

My friends were too drunk to know what exactly happened, and of course, no one could drive to the hospital. They cleaned me up with a t-shirt and river water and made me comfy.

Yet again, another moment I'm amazed I lived through, and yet another detail I shared repeatedly with all my docs, and psychiatrists, and therapists (along with ptsd trauma related issues) that would get put on the back burner and ignored.

Edited to add.........Welcome back.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Kasi (08-24-15)
Old 08-23-15, 11:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,556 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve presumably had ADHD all my life, though I wasn’t formally diagnosed until I was in my 40s.

I’ve had 3 concussions in my life, but all of them have been over 30 years ago. Only with the last, and most severe, was I very aware that I was “cognitively impaired,” but I just had to ride that out as the situation was such that I didn’t receive any medical consult/care after sustaining the injury.

I will say this: when I looked at myself in the mirror and saw that my pupils were different sizes, I knew what that meant medically, and so I should have been concerned, but I wasn’t. I was so completely in a dissociative state that I couldn’t feel anything, emotionally. Even physical pain was weird, because while I could feel it, it wasn’t painful, it was just there.

I think I was back the next day, but honestly, I don’t remember the degree of my deficit, if any. I was too busy dealing with the emotional floods of shame, anger, and sense of betrayal because of the indifference to/lack of help from others in regards to my face looking like raw meat. (concussion and injuries sustained from having been beaten/assaulted).

Namaste,
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Kasi (08-24-15), Unmanagable (08-23-15)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-15, 12:55 PM
Contributor

Kasi is a glorious beacon of lightKasi is a glorious beacon of lightKasi is a glorious beacon of lightKasi is a glorious beacon of lightKasi is a glorious beacon of lightKasi is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you both for taking the time to share!

Quote:
I was so completely in a dissociative state that I couldn’t feel anything, emotionally. Even physical pain was weird, because while I could feel it, it wasn’t painful, it was just there.
I actually got this as well? For a while I just couldn't feel any pain, even though I know I should have? (I got pretty banged up in the initial fall and passed out three times) I managed to make it home, and drink a lot of OJ to deal with the shakes, so.

~Winston Churchill
Old 08-24-15, 04:44 PM

TelepathBoy is a jewel in the roughTelepathBoy is a jewel in the roughTelepathBoy is a jewel in the rough

Hi there!

I want to chime in here to say - don't worry about it! And I speak from experience.

I was only recently diagnosed with ADHD about 9 months ago, but, I have lots of experience with concussions. I've had at least a dozen of them in my life, probably half of which could have been classified as severe. The most recent one involved vomiting all over my dashboard and a trip to the ER (cleanup was fun!)

I'll put it this way - if you have to wonder whether or not you even suffered a concussion, then you don't need to worry. Truly. It's a non-event as far as brain trauma goes. As far as severe KO-level concussions, from all the reading I've done, the gist is that you're allowed 3 in your lifetime before real signs of brain injury start to show up. Obviously this varies from person to person and the severity of each trauma.

Brain injury can certainly exacerbate conditions such as ADHD or depression, but, again, it's unlikely in your case. For the most part, the effects of concussion tend to resolve within about 3 months or so. However, yes, a small amount of damage remains that, if it accumulates, can cause long-term impairment.

Try not to second guess yourself. I know that after my most recent one, I suffered from about 2 months or so of post-concussion syndrome, but I think a lot of that was just me interpreting every little thing as being related to it. I'm well past my 3 concussion allowance at this point and I'm stuck with this brain for the next 50 years or thereabouts, so I was worried. But I am fine now.

Anyway, I'm just a random stranger on the internet and not a doctor, so you probably shouldn't listen to anything I say. But, that's my input on the matter. If you are concerned, you definitely should see a doctor.