ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 07-08-11, 01:53 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really nice
Fired this week

Wow, I haven't EVER been fired before, and I have been in work force since the late 1980's. Employer knows that I have ADHD, as well as a chronic physical condition....
So I did snap my mouth off to someone at work, while my point was very valid...I did raise my voice...I was labelled as having "attitude" When confronted by employer, they brough in examples from over 2 months ago!! I said "Why am I just hearing about this NOW, if this supposedly happened in May??" The examples were complete BS...never happened the way it was described to me!!
My biggest problem at work is my low tolerance for stupidity and for frustration....and yes, I was frustrated at the time for various reasons.
I am still shocked though that I was fired!! No verbal warnings, no written warnings, nothing on file that was ever discussed with me by my supervisor.
I'd like to say it will be a learning experience...BUT seeing that I am ADHD and have a difficult time learning from past mistakes, as well as a very low frustration tolerance...I may just be doomed to the unemployment line...sighs.
Old 07-08-11, 02:29 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,261 Times in 8,226 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fired this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDisme2010 View Post
Wow, I haven't EVER been fired before, and I have been in work force since the late 1980's. Employer knows that I have ADHD, as well as a chronic physical condition....
So I did snap my mouth off to someone at work, while my point was very valid...I did raise my voice...I was labelled as having "attitude" When confronted by employer, they brough in examples from over 2 months ago!! I said "Why am I just hearing about this NOW, if this supposedly happened in May??" The examples were complete BS...never happened the way it was described to me!!
My biggest problem at work is my low tolerance for stupidity and for frustration....and yes, I was frustrated at the time for various reasons.
I am still shocked though that I was fired!! No verbal warnings, no written warnings, nothing on file that was ever discussed with me by my supervisor.
I'd like to say it will be a learning experience...BUT seeing that I am ADHD and have a difficult time learning from past mistakes, as well as a very low frustration tolerance...I may just be doomed to the unemployment line...sighs.
I see this as being a positive for you. You are a good worker obviously. Given your prior work history and an economy that's rocky like the mountain chain, I don't think this will make you look that bad for future employment.

What was brought up to you a couple months back? You said the examples were completely BS. We ADDers aren't the best at self-perception. That's why Dr. Barkley says that self-report is basically meaningless when gathering information about us.

I know what it's like to battle anger and low frustration tolerance. That ability is impaired in our brain. Do you exercise regularly? Have you tried meditation?

I'm with you man.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
ADDisme2010 (07-09-11)
Old 07-08-11, 07:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
that sucks! I've had my words twisted and used against me recently too, so I kinda feel your pain. I'm so sorry you lost your job. really, truth be told, it was probably one of those situations where they were looking for something. (I never used to believe they happened, until I actually saw it from a 3rd party perspective...) I don't know if it was a popularity thing or they are just looking to cut costs so they look for reasons to fire people so they don't have to offer a severance. (yep, I've seen those as well)

not trying to be bossy, but you need to go ahead and file for unemployment benefits, asap. many states will back date your claim as long as you file by midnight saturday. I have a little bit of familiarity with how unemployment works, so if you need any help, I might be able to help. PM me.

Good luck.
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
ADDisme2010 (07-09-11), anonymouslyadd (07-08-11), Retromancer (07-09-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-11, 08:17 PM

Thanked 3,651 Times in 1,494 Posts
Spacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond reputeSpacemaster has a reputation beyond repute

Bummer! On to something better! I'm really lucky that my boss is tolerant of BS. Don't get me wrong, he'll let you know when he's not happy, but all in all he's pretty good. I have an inability to keep my thoughts to myself and controlling my tongue. If I feel like something needs to be said, I say it. He was in earshot of me and a co-worker (who makes my life hell) and anyway, she screamed at me, "MOVE!" when I couldn't get out of her way fast enough and I yelled "I'm trying, you B****!". I would be in so much trouble if I worked elsewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spacemaster For This Useful Post:
ADDisme2010 (07-09-11)
Old 07-08-11, 08:39 PM

Contrary Texan is just really niceContrary Texan is just really niceContrary Texan is just really niceContrary Texan is just really nice

Having been unemployed way, w-a-a-y-y-y too much lately, I can say this isn't necessarily a good thing. File for unemployment, get your resume together, and hit the streets HARD!!! Sign up at temp agencies and try to get employed ASAP. I know it's tempting to take it easy a bit and give yourself a chance to recoup. Well, you've got the weekend for that. Truth is, the majority of employers hiring right now will not, I repeat, WILL NOT HIRE THE UNEMPLOYED. Don't believe me -- google the news stories that have come out recently. The longer you are unemployed, the more unemployable you become.

On the good side, you have a chance to re-assess your attributes, your talents, your education, your experiences in the work force and in your personal life. I think there might be some testing sites that might be free where you can do an assessment of talents and interests and look at career choices/education choices. So this is now a chance for a career change, possibly get with a company where you'll be happier. If at all possible, don't put yourself in the same position as you were in previously, dealing with the same types of people and/or situations that will cause you to lose it as before. The more you can do where you can handle things on your own and not have to rely on others, the better off you might be, might help with getting frustrated and wanting tell people off.

One other thing you might consider -- check with the Labor Board and find out if you were properly dismissed. If state law says they have to have written warnings, that you have signed, or a certain number of warnings, the labor board may come back and try to get you your old job back or possibly some extra compensation. If they knew you were ADHD, that falls under the ADA and even more regulations. It may need to be on file so it might not count. Something to check on. But in the meantime, try to get re-employed ASAP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Contrary Texan For This Useful Post:
ADDisme2010 (07-09-11), Retromancer (07-09-11)
Old 07-08-11, 11:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really niceADDisme2010 is just really nice

Thanks for the responses. I do plan to apply for unemployment very soon!! I am just still in such shock to be honest. I had no verbal warnings or even discussions from my supervisor previous to this weeks occurence! So I was pretty blown away as she started to discuss things that supposedly occurred in May, and beginning of June. I was just like "It is July...why i am just hearing of this now???" No valid answers.
I have since found out that they are not replacing my position...hmmmm
Saving at least 15,000 a year by how they are staffing my former position.
I am in healthcare...and the points mentioned above are well taken. i will need to be very cautious on which type of jobs I apply for and/or except...nursing homes have just proven NOT a good fit for me personally.
Which is very sad, since in their own words "you are a Great nurse, excellent assessment and documentation, and procedure skills....you are great with the residents (45 of them, not a single complaint from any of my residents)...But you don't "smooze" enough...basically i wont kiss up to anyone. It's pretty sad when it becomes about kissing up to management, and not about the people I am hired to care for....disappointed, but since our philosophies obviously don't mesh...it's definately good to be moving onward.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADDisme2010 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (07-09-11), Unmanagable (03-08-12)
Old 07-08-11, 11:57 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

PS I did NOT sign the BS termination paperwork, as their supposed reasoning for firing me is untrue
The Following User Says Thank You to ADDisme2010 For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (03-08-12)
Old 07-09-11, 03:33 AM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

Kudos to you for not doing so. Remember they dismissed you, you didn't "resign under pressure".

Quote:
PS I did NOT sign the BS termination paperwork, as their supposed reasoning for firing me is untrue
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
ADDisme2010 (07-09-11), tudorose (07-09-11), Unmanagable (03-08-12)
Old 07-09-11, 07:39 AM

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
as far as unemployment is concerned, you are living in a great state. (in fact, it's the birthplace of unemployment compensation)

I don't know if I would bother with the labor board, if this was a private employer, then they can't really question the firing. it's the employer's perogative.

BUT, if the employer is the moving party, then they are going to have to pony up the cash if they didn't do their due diligence to make sure you were aware that you were in danger of losing your job.

On the initial claim, if I were you, I would point out their failure to adequately warn you. Then if they come back with an attempt at a policy violation that is related to something behavioral, I would fire back with the ADD diagnosis pointing out the common symptom of difficulty regulating emotions. Had they given you appropriate feedback when the other occurences happened, THEN you could have made a change.

I know that isn't entirely on topic. Just want to be helpful and supportive.
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
ADDisme2010 (07-09-11), Unmanagable (03-08-12)
Old 07-09-11, 11:40 AM

Contrary Texan is just really niceContrary Texan is just really niceContrary Texan is just really niceContrary Texan is just really nice

Nursing home experience, great with patients, know your stuff -- consider working with a home nursing company or nursing temp agency. Sound like a great fit for those who go to individuals homes to monitor meds and conditions, check up on them, possibly home care for the elderly or terminal. May be a good thing in the long run, and those types of jobs have trouble keeping people sometimes. As long as you have reliable transportation, could be a great option.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Contrary Texan For This Useful Post:
ADDisme2010 (07-09-11), Unmanagable (03-08-12)
Old 07-09-11, 11:43 AM
Registered

Thanked 17,744 Times in 8,895 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations

Work sucks.

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
ADDisme2010 (07-09-11), full_throttle (07-09-11)