ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-13-15, 10:55 AM

TalwinNX is on a distinguished road
Recently Fired From Job, Unsure of What To Do Next

Forewarning: This will be a long post

TL;DR Got fired, hated the job anyway, have many ideas of what to do but unsure of which to pursue.

I'm a pharmacist, recently diagnosed with ADHD-PI. I've been working the same job for about 5.5 years. I absolutely despised the job, mostly because of the management, but I also find being a pharmacist to be dull, repetitive, and mind numbing. Also, all the rules and regulations clash with my ADHD Anyway, I got fired about two weeks ago as my attitude has severely declined in the last year or so and I could no longer fake my happiness at work.

I became a pharmacist because I grew up in poverty in a single parent household where money was the primary motive for anything. I never wanted to live in poverty like my family and I wanted a steady, secure job.

I'm trying to look at the firing in positive aspect, I feel like I have many options open to me at this point and I really have a chance to go in a different direction in my life, one that will make me happy.

I have a hard time figuring out what I'd like to do. I enjoy technology/ the internet, I've thought of becoming a coder/developer, but generally feel like I don't have any creative ideas when it comes to be a developer. I've thought about starting my online business, eCommerce, freelance, or marketing. I do have some ideas for a business, but I am unsure which one to pursue. The wife and I are talking about relocating as well when our lease is up.

In the meantime, I've been applying to pharmacist jobs in my area, I've had two interviews, no offers yet. I've been selling things online on eBay, Amazon, and Etsy to make some spare cash and I've got a little cash saved up so I'm not panicking yet. I just don't want to take another pharmacist job and end up hating my life again.
The Following User Says Thank You to TalwinNX For This Useful Post:
Divertente (06-16-15)
Old 06-13-15, 07:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,575 Times in 870 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recently Fired From Job, Unsure of What To Do Next

I'm a nurse and would think that there are lots of areas in healthcare where a pharmacist could work.

Like in nursing, the setting can make or break the job. A retail pharmacist may hate that setting but really love working in a hospital. I would think that pharmaceutical and medical device companies would have different positions for a pharmacist too.

I am a new nurse so I'm always calling our pharmacists about a med or compatibility if a seasoned nurse doesn't know and Micromedex isn't sure either. I love our pharmacists!

Also, I did a clinical rotation in a Medical ICU where the Attending, Residents/Interns/Med/RN Students, patient's individual RN, and unit-based Pharmacist participated in morning rounds. It was interesting to see the docs defer to the Pharmacist! I thought that was very cool to get everyone on the same page first thing to help move things along too.

I will be interested to see how everything works out for you! Good luck!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 06-14-15, 09:51 AM

Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,061 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Are you taking meds and would they help calm your restless mind so you can do work?

I do hear that hospital work is less mind numbing than retail.Pharmaceutical sales rep though maybe this still requires pretending to be cheery too much. Don't know if there is too much pressure there.

you could Become a dr. Which I can't imagine is boring.

I don't really know if you need to be that creative be a coder though I'm not a coder so don't know. Seems like there is a lot of pressure and hours required in that field unless you contract work which has its own disadvantages.

I know a pharmacist who work only 3 days a week and then spend 4 doing what they love while stlll making about the same amount as the avg 4 person household. Every job has crap you got to deal with anyway so she's happy with this lower workload. She's pretty much convinced herself she's happy with her job because of it - it's all in the mind sometimes. Another hospital pharmacist I know convinces herself she's helping to improve the lives of her customers. Another wants to join a temp agency so she can take long vacations whenever she wants.

Engineering is not mind numbing boring in my opinion anyway. But the you'd need to go to school again so maybe not worth it. There are also deadline pressures with engineering some adhders may not like. And you still got to deal with paperwork, rules, etc.

Last edited by acdc01; 06-14-15 at 10:05 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-15, 08:09 PM

Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,061 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Here's a truth I thought you might be able to convince your mind.

The truth is your job is different every day and is not routine. It's not routine cause your customers are individuals and each time you help a different person, your job has changed. You can make it a goal /challenge to figure out how best to help make each person the happiest.

Anyway, just an idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (06-16-15)
Old 06-17-15, 12:06 AM

Divertente has a spectacular aura aboutDivertente has a spectacular aura about

TalwinNX,

To "know what you really want" when you're still very much in the thick of understanding your diagnoses and it's implications for your life is extremely difficult.

It takes time to ease into your diagnosis and you're much better served to take your time learning all you can about your ADHD and how it's affected you throughout your life.

Rushing blindly, in a state of confusion, frustration, exhaustion, and still recovering from your last gig, into the next thing is not a winning strategy and in fact is dangerous.

The pressure to "figure this out" is intense but resist it and give yourself the gift of time, of spaciousness; to do the work that must be done before moving forward.

I highly recommend, if you aren't already, working with the very best ADHD therapist you can find to support you during this major life transition, it could make all the difference.

Wishing you success.
Old 06-17-15, 02:32 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,578 Times in 15,085 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

"So tell me what you want, what you really really want". (spice girls, sorry)

I carried a watermelon?