ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-18, 03:35 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,407 Times in 15,013 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Looking for inexpensive ways to cut carbs

What I mean is, I need to eat more protein and veggies and less carbs. I dont have a horrible carb thing going on, I am just really sensitive to sugar and thus sensitive to stuff like bread or at least refined carbs, but I am on a budget. I also cook for a family of 5. My son is a veggitarian but still eats fish but its expensive to always have fish. So I need to provide carbs for him. The others in the family eat meat but I usually cook whole grain-healthy carbs like quinoi and brown rice or cous cous. I only eat steel cut whole oats. I do not eat white bread anything but I do fall easily when my husband makes homemade waffles. I dont eat cookies, icecream or cakes and candy. I am looking to eat this way to shave off an extra 10-15lbs but also because of my absorption issues, my blood sugar spikes with most carbs. Since my gastric bypass anything that spikes my blood sugar gives me heart palps and the sweats.
Any budget friendly ideas? I tend to get stuck on stuff so eating the same way doesnt bother me too much. I like eggs and tuna and salad but I am trying to find balance.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 08-02-18, 03:10 PM

Fluppets is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for inexpensive ways to cut carbs

Gosh, the way you describe it, it sounds like you're already doing great.

But with those absorption issues and a gastric bypass, might want to look into some professional advice.

With my (limited) experience trying to cut carbs (in favour of protein), I realized that in generall fast carbs and fat are cheap, and slow carbs and protein are expensive.

I think it's better in the long run to go for a varried, high-quality (bio), but low quantity diet. This will take some time to get your body used to it though, and of course it needs to be available to you in the first place, idk where you're from.

sry I cant be of more help, but like I said, you seem already doing great diet-wise.
200 mg Sertraline
5 mg Abilify
80 mg Strattera
Old 08-02-18, 04:29 PM

Srjs28 is on a distinguished road

Bacon,, lots of Bacon!
J/K
Like the previous poster said sounds like you have it going good. But I can see getting sick of certain foods and eating them all the time. Sorry not much help from me. Just wanted to add the bacon thing
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-18, 05:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,852 Times in 5,835 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of chicken and water.no rice as that's a starch that turns to sugar
Old 08-04-18, 02:48 PM

Thanked 3,971 Times in 2,043 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Tofu. There's actually a fair variety of tofu too which you can see at an Asian market.

Beans.

Greek yogurt.

Frozen peas (could eat other veggies too but it has more protein I think)

I know you mentioned eggs but eggs can make so many different types of dishes I wonder if you could just vary them more (quiche works well frozen fyi and I think frijitas would be lower carb than quiche).

Peanut butter. You might check out the fresh ground kind at your supermarket. Mine is actually cheaper than the ones in containers. I really like peanut curries though you'll have to find a curry that doesn't have too many spices to save money I think. I also make a beet tartare that I substituted peanut butter at the bottom for instead of cheese.

I know avacados (more fat than protein) are expensive but they are extremely filling. I can eat just one and not need anything else for lunch.

Do you grow any of your own vegetables? Zuchini is expensive at the store but from what I've seen from my sister's garden, they are prolific and can grow to be huge. The huge ones don't taste as good according to my sister but if you use them for zoodles, it hardly matters.

Where I live, Asian markets(Chinese and Korean, not Japanese) tend to have a variety of dirt cheap vegetables and fruit. So cheap I only eat one vegetable a week from them just to be safer as I'm a little afraid of how they were grown. I find some of the more unique vegatables at the Asian markets have a stronger flavor than the ones typical in an American diet so I'm not sure you'll like the taste. Make sure you buy from not the lowest end Asian market though cause the quality of their products can vary substantially, especially the meat.

Mind if I ask what you eat in a typical day? I'm trying to save money myself so am curious.
Old 08-04-18, 08:16 PM

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,185 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Here is what I do. Get a big pork roast and cook in the oven. Pour off all the juices into a jug. Once cold save the lard for cooking with. Then freeze the stock underneath the fat in the jug. Use the bones to make bone broth and add the stock to it for extra flavour.

Do the same thing with chicken or any other meat you roast.

Save your bones and make bone broth in a crock pot.