ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-19, 10:51 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,496 Times in 10,848 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Got a call back from the clinic saying the doctor was calling in a script for me
for the blood pressure. Am still very anxious because it's for Metapropol which
is a beta blocker, and I was allergic to another beta blocker Propranolol. I'll be
taking my bottle of Benedryl along on our Thanksgiving trip, just in case.
Yikes! Be sure to mention this to the pharmacist!
Hope it helps with the BP without causing any untoward reactions.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-27-19)
Old 11-27-19, 10:44 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,035 Times in 12,616 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Yikes! Be sure to mention this to the pharmacist!
Hope it helps with the BP without causing any untoward reactions.
When I picked up the script yesterday (at the drive thru) the pharmacist came
on the line and asked me to clarify which meds I'm allergic to, so he was aware
of the allergy to Propranolol. I'm still taking my Benedryl along today and will take my blood pressure cuff along to monitor that.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-27-19)
Old 11-27-19, 01:20 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,496 Times in 10,848 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When I picked up the script yesterday (at the drive thru) the pharmacist came
on the line and asked me to clarify which meds I'm allergic to, so he was aware
of the allergy to Propranolol. I'm still taking my Benedryl along today and will take my blood pressure cuff along to monitor that.
Safe a smooth travels, and happy Thanksgiving!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-19, 07:24 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Safe a smooth travels, and happy Thanksgiving!
No signs of an allergic reaction so far, but the new med isn't doing a damn thing
for my blood pressure either. Just left a message for the nurse to let the doctor
know how very scary high it went Wednesday night and Thursday morning.
Very scary.

The family we were visiting for Thanksgiving all take blood pressure meds so
we figured out which one I could borrow without concerns about my kidneys.
But tomorrow I won't have anything helpful until I get a call back from clinic.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
namazu (11-29-19)
Old 11-29-19, 03:28 AM
Contributor

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

Heard this on a news site. Well, at least it is trying to show a bright side to it: But is is BS?
Sorry, I didn't have the site right. This it it.
https://ww2.healthination.com/health..._campaign=adhd

Last edited by SashaBV; 11-29-19 at 03:55 AM..
Old 11-29-19, 07:09 AM

Thanked 30,816 Times in 14,172 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so annoyed with myself. Fuzzling keeps missing out on nursery experiences and events because I forget to register her or return the consent forms. Uggh.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-29-19)
Old 11-29-19, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBV View Post
Heard this on a news site. Well, at least it is trying to show a bright side to it: But is is BS?
Sorry, I didn't have the site right. This it it.
https://ww2.healthination.com/health..._campaign=adhd
I don't buy into the whole "super powers" idea.

Quote:
The ability to take in large amounts of stimuli is useful in the modern, fast-paced work environment. “The non-ADHD brain can’t process all the information that it’s receiving from its environment,” says Dr. Diaz. Many people with ADHD are not overwhelmed by a stimulating environment; they might even enjoy it. “They’re always on, they’re always listening, they’re always tuned in,” says Dr. Diaz.
I don't believe for a nano-second that people with ADHD are better at taking in
. . . and making sense of . . . large amounts of stimuli. We can't process all
that information coming in at one time any better than neuro-typical brains do.
Do we notice more stuff? Oh, heck yeah! Does that mean we can store it all
and recall it later when it would useful? I wish it did, but it doesn't really.

Quote:
Creativity is a common strength among people with ADHD. “They’re constantly thinking about new things [and] they approach things in a really interesting way,” says Dr. Diaz. While some may struggle with keeping papers in alphabetical order or their desks tidy and free of sticky note mountains, they may also find alternative, ingenious ways to organize their lives that more “traditional” brains may not have considered. (Check out how your desk can boost your creativity.) Plus, if you have inattentive ADHD, daydreaming can be a rich source of creative ideas.
In my opinion we try new ways of doing things all the time because we can't
remember how we did it last time, and if by chance we do remember what we
did last time, we don't remember if it worked or failed. So we "invent" a new
solution each time. That's not all bad, but it's not a super power.

Quote:
A love of multitasking is something people with ADHD have in common. People may describe ADHD as “an inability to focus,” but you could also think of it as an ability to juggle and bounce between multiple ideas, tasks, and conversations. “Maybe you’re the person that can thrive on being able to do multiple different things at one time,” says Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD, psychologist in New York City.
I don't believe anyone is capable of multi-tasking in a productive way. What
people with ADHD are doing that looks like multi-tasking is getting distracted
in the midst of doing one thing by seeing or remembering something else that
also needs to be done, dropping the first thing and starting the other thing.
On and on that way all day long, often not finishing most of the things we
started (or any of the things we started). Not a super power.

Quote:
“One great thing that I’ve done with a couple kids that have been diagnosed with ADHD [is] Google famous people with ADHD,” says Alok Patel, MD, pediatrician at New York Presbyterian, Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital. “Children all of a sudden realize they can live a totally long and productive life with ADHD.”
Can we be productive? Of course. But it's not the ADHD that makes that
possible. It's figuring out what our strengths and weaknesses are, building
on the strengths and finding help for or work-arounds for the weaknesses.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (11-29-19), namazu (11-29-19), stef (11-30-19)
Old 11-29-19, 03:16 PM

Thanked 4,188 Times in 2,163 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

My brother-in-law is annoying me. He always gets mad at me and raises his voice at me for really no reason. Just some adhd quirks of mine that bothers him. This time, I'm not even sure what he was mad at. Maybe cause I was having such a hard time trying to find the free airline tickets I was booking for them (I'm not even going on the trip but I was booking it for them so I was doing them a favor). I think he just didn't get why it took so long and was so complicated so got annoyed cause he thought it should be simpler (it's not).

He actually apologized afterward but still. I saw an article about Melissa Benoist (Supergirl actress) talking about her domestic abuse. Now my brother-in-law is not a domestic abuser and this doesn't even come remotely close to abuse. But part of what she said was that she always just forgave her abuser cause he apologized afterward.

She just made me think how I don't think it's ok how he gets mad at me all the time for nothing. I always let it slide cause he apologizes but now I'm thinking an apology is not enough if he continues to do it over and over again. Will have to complain next time he gets mad for nothing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-29-19), namazu (11-29-19), stef (11-30-19)
Old 11-29-19, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
My brother-in-law is annoying me. He always gets mad at me and raises his voice at me for really no reason. Just some adhd quirks of mine that bothers him. This time, I'm not even sure what he was mad at. Maybe cause I was having such a hard time trying to find the free airline tickets I was booking for them (I'm not even going on the trip but I was booking it for them so I was doing them a favor). I think he just didn't get why it took so long and was so complicated so got annoyed cause he thought it should be simpler (it's not).

He actually apologized afterward but still. I saw an article about Melissa Benoist (Supergirl actress) talking about her domestic abuse. Now my brother-in-law is not a domestic abuser and this doesn't even come remotely close to abuse. But part of what she said was that she always just forgave her abuser cause he apologized afterward.

She just made me think how I don't think it's ok how he gets mad at me all the time for nothing. I always let it slide cause he apologizes but now I'm thinking an apology is not enough if he continues to do it over and over again. Will have to complain next time he gets mad for nothing.
An apology is worth nothing if the person doesn't even TRY to change the
behavior he is apologizing for.

You might want to read a little bit about emotional abuse. Sounds like what
you're experiencing may be emotional abuse.

acdc01 (12-01-19)
Old 11-29-19, 07:26 PM

Thanked 30,816 Times in 14,172 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Wooah. Definitely not ok. He shouldn't raise his voice even if it wasnt a favour but yes, it's even worse if it is a favour. I guess, maybe the fact that he's your brother in law makes things more complicated (I have to tiptoe on egg shells with my siblings' spouses).

Funnily enough I do think apologising makes it a bit better. At least he is acknowledging that he was wrong rahter than thinking it's ok to tell at someone or not thinking about it at all. I guess it is right though that an abuser might apologize too. I guess if happens regularly then the apology doesn't count for me. An apology doesn't help unless the person reallh regrets their behaviour and tries to to change it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (12-01-19), Lunacie (11-29-19), stef (11-30-19)
Old 11-29-19, 10:49 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,434 Times in 7,858 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Will have to complain next time he gets mad for nothing.
Doing that when he’s already mad or annoyed is most likely only going to aggravate or escalate the situation. I would try to discuss it with him at a time when he’s being calm and cool and make him understand how he’s been treating you. Trying to get communicate when he’s already mad and you finally explode will probably not go well. Good luck.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (12-01-19), Fuzzy12 (11-30-19), stef (11-30-19)
Old 11-30-19, 08:36 AM
Minecraft Mod-rater

Thanked 1,480 Times in 764 Posts
TurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to allTurtleBrain is a name known to all

Thinking outloud and being brutally honest about how I feel about things seems to be typical trait of my autism. I have this blog in which I've kept my identity anonymous. I feel like a hypocrite because people who know me are probably going to quickly find out who I am anyway. It takes a lot of effort on my part to try to keep myself from disclosing things that are very personal to me, especially if they're things that I normally tend to obsess about anyway.
Lunacie (11-30-19), stef (11-30-19)
Old 11-30-19, 03:04 PM

Thanked 27,525 Times in 13,325 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Lunacie;2021848]I don't buy into the whole "super powers" idea

The ability to take in large amounts of stimuli is useful in the modern, fast-paced work environment. “The non-ADHD brain can’t process all the information that it’s receiving from its environment,” says Dr. Diaz. Many people with ADHD are not overwhelmed by a stimulating environment; they might even enjoy it. “They’re always on, they’re always listening, they’re always tuned in,” says Dr. Diaz.

This is true to the point of the stimuli which interests you, and where your natural talents may be in life (this last part has absolutely nothing to do with adhd), really there were things in my old job that i processed and could do 10 times faster than others but goodness I was NOT always "on, listening and tuned in". this would have only been true if the only things i ever had to do were designing powerpoint presentations and translation.
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-30-19)
Old 11-30-19, 07:07 PM

[quote=stef;2021862]
Quote:
I don't buy into the whole "super powers" idea

This is true to the point of the stimuli which interests you, and where your natural talents may be in life (this last part has absolutely nothing to do with adhd), really there were things in my old job that i processed and could do 10 times faster than others but goodness I was NOT always "on, listening and tuned in". this would have only been true if the only things i ever had to do were designing powerpoint presentations and translation.
I love the analogy of the little guy sitting at the filing station in someone's
brain, with information coming in faster than he can sort it and store it away
in the right file, so he just shoves some of it in together in the same file.

And then when the call comes from the brain for some information it knows
it has heard, the poor processing guy can't find it to save his life because it
wasn't filed properly.

So just because some of us thrive on fast-paced and exhilarating stimuli, it
doesn't mean we can make use of the information we took in when we actually
need it.

stef (11-30-19)
Old 11-30-19, 07:44 PM

Thanked 27,525 Times in 13,325 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

i need to hire a new filing guy
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-30-19)