ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 12-02-19, 10:23 AM

shazam09 is on a distinguished road
CCD aka. "Concentration Deficit Disorder"

So just thought this might be good to put out there and start a new thread.

I realize this is not a legitimate disorder according to the "DSM" but I think it should be used moving forward being that SCT name really ****** me off and its offensive.

I feel like I'm stuck in the middle of ADHD and CCD .

Can we make this stick!!
Curious to what you all have to say!
The Following User Says Thank You to shazam09 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (12-03-19)
Old 12-03-19, 04:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,253 Times in 2,954 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CCD aka. "Concentration Deficit Disorder"

The SCT label is not accepted and is not part of DSM despite Barkley's lobbying.

CCD is also not a recognised acronym.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-19, 01:20 PM

Thanked 1,132 Times in 681 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

What does sct and ocd stand for
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-19, 02:38 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light
Monkey Mind/Defective Dashboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
What does sct and ocd stand for
I should probably let the person who uses them answer, but AFAIK SCT is for "Slow Cognitive Tempo," and OCD is "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder." The OP is proposing a new label of "Concentration Deficit Disorder," so I'm guessing he probably meant CDD?

If I could put in my 2 cents here, I'm leaning to the idea that our problem is less a "deficit" of attention, concentration, whatever, and more of a problem of "dysregulation" of identifying what needs our immediate attention while still monitoring the big picture, our internal state, what we were doing before we were interrupted, and important other environmental developments in the background. Speaking for myself, I either overfocus on something that may not really be in my best interest, or I dither back and forth between the background and the foreground making it hard to follow a clear agenda.

It's like having a monkey mind and a defective dashboard, rather than defective attention as such. Not that I see MM/DD ever making it into the DSM, either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
excel (12-03-19), Kunga Dorji (12-04-19)
Old 12-05-19, 04:09 AM

Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Monkey Mind/Defective Dashboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thcenturyfox View Post
I should probably let the person who uses them answer, but AFAIK SCT is for "Slow Cognitive Tempo," and OCD is "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder." The OP is proposing a new label of "Concentration Deficit Disorder," so I'm guessing he probably meant CDD?

If I could put in my 2 cents here, I'm leaning to the idea that our problem is less a "deficit" of attention, concentration, whatever, and more of a problem of "dysregulation" of identifying what needs our immediate attention while still monitoring the big picture, our internal state, what we were doing before we were interrupted, and important other environmental developments in the background. Speaking for myself, I either overfocus on something that may not really be in my best interest, or I dither back and forth between the background and the foreground making it hard to follow a clear agenda.

It's like having a monkey mind and a defective dashboard, rather than defective attention as such. Not that I see MM/DD ever making it into the DSM, either.

I think we can get too hung up on precise definitions- because whatever one we use somebody will feel uncomfortable with the label.

Also DSM does state that it is provisional in nature, and more of a basis for research than a definitive description.

The Swedish talk of "Deficits of Attention Motor Control and Perception", and to me that is a far better description as it unites the motor and cognitive aspects of the problem.

In the current setting I think it is maybe better to recognise that the broad phenotype of ADHD is a useful classification, on purely utilitarian grounds as it gives a clear indication that stimulants are both likely to be beneficial, and are legally prescribable.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (12-05-19)
Old 12-05-19, 04:29 AM

Re: Monkey Mind/Defective Dashboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji View Post
I think we can get too hung up on precise definitions- because whatever one we use somebody will feel uncomfortable with the label.
Another thought- people get uncomfortable with psychiatric labels because they seem to be belittling us.
It is looking more and more that ADHD exists strictly at the subconscious / subcortical.

They do not really represent anything firm about ourselves.

We do form reactions to the way people treat us, and the way we treat other people as a result of our difficulties. Those reactions are much more close to consciousness and are something we can change, and bear responsibility for.

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (12-05-19), Little Missy (12-05-19), Lunacie (12-05-19)
Old 12-05-19, 11:24 PM
Contributor

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

We all know that a certain part of the population doesn't believe that ADHD is a real diagnosis either. No matter what you call it, you're going to have those people. I know it's a real diagnosis and that treatment helps just because I've lived with it a long time. And even though I had this disorder for decades without knowing what it was, I always knew I was different from most people, that something just wasn't quite normal about me. And I still consider myself "different". I've come to the realization that I am okay with that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (12-06-19), Lunacie (12-06-19)