ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Site Suggestions & Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-19, 02:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,277 Times in 964 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Website not secure warning?

Hi

I wonder how much the "site not secure" warning I get, as I am logging into ADDForums, has to do with the very low attendance here at ADDForums?

M
namazu (08-18-19)
Old 08-18-19, 03:40 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,496 Times in 10,848 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Website not secure warning?

My guess would be that it's not the main factor, but it certainly doesn't help.
It's a symptom of the age and lack of upgrades to the forum.
David, are you listening?
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (08-19-19)
Old 08-18-19, 05:56 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,851 Times in 14,108 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i wish David would update the forum
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

The Following User Says Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (08-19-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-19, 06:56 PM

Thanked 1,132 Times in 681 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

Does David sign onto the forums
mildadhd (08-19-19)
Old 08-18-19, 07:45 PM

Thanked 5,617 Times in 2,422 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

I was on a v bulletin car forum. It was a comprehensive resource like here. To upgrade the owner had to move to a different server. A lot of the info as lost like all the thanks and the pics got scrambled up so tutorial threads with pics no longer made sense because the pics didn't match the story. The only way he could upgrade and ensure continuation of the forum was to bring in a subscription model. That didn't do down too well.
excel (08-18-19), Lunacie (08-19-19), meadd823 (10-12-19), mildadhd (08-19-19), someothertime (12-04-19)
Old 08-18-19, 08:20 PM

excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

I just hope it doesn't go down again
mildadhd (08-19-19), PI-ADHD 29 (08-19-19)
Old 08-19-19, 01:42 AM
Contributor

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

Yeah, it can also be expensive to upgrade these forums and if the responsible person or persons doing it isn't so knowledgeable at doing it, things can be lost. Even users can be locked out sometimes. That's happened to me before...people had to reregister on those forums, including me.
The Following User Says Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (08-19-19)
Old 08-19-19, 03:56 PM

Interesting.

Maybe it would be easiest to start a new vbulletin ADDForums, and all register again?

That way, more new people might be interested in joining and discussing things, and less worry about their computers being hijacked?

Most common forum threads/questions are usually repeated/brought up by newer members again and again, anyway.

Maybe some of the most preferred threads like dizfriz's corner could be copy and pasted to a new forum?

It's like a ghost town in the present state.

If I understand correctly vbulletin offers up to date web site security features in the new versions?

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 08-19-19 at 04:06 PM..
Old 08-19-19, 08:19 PM

I never see that message when I sign on
mildadhd (08-19-19)
Old 08-19-19, 09:07 PM

Thanked 5,617 Times in 2,422 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Migration to an updated version of the forum is expensive and time consuming. The concept of making this read only and starting again might be cheaper and easier in the long run. There's a lot of value in the threads here. Too much value to be lost.

And yes the website not secure message depending on your antivirus software may not even let you into the site at all.

I wish David would come on here so we can find out what he needs from us and talk about what is actually doable.

Most of us are also on Facebook. If there was a new platform we could share the group to get more members. And start over and build it up again like in 2002 /2003
Lunacie (08-20-19), mildadhd (08-19-19)
Old 08-19-19, 09:57 PM

Lightbulb Re: Website not secure warning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
Migration to an updated version of the forum is expensive and time consuming. The concept of making this read only and starting again might be cheaper and easier in the long run. There's a lot of value in the threads here. Too much value to be lost.

And yes the website not secure message depending on your antivirus software may not even let you into the site at all.

I wish David would come on here so we can find out what he needs from us and talk about what is actually doable.

Most of us are also on Facebook. If there was a new platform we could share the group to get more members. And start over and build it up again like in 2002 /2003
It would be nice to have David's permission to use addforums to discuss our options, how we could help improve things here , or starting new...etc.

I have read in the past that ADDForums was valued at over $100 000, but I do not have the background in economics to understand what that means?

(Edit my primary intention in starting this thread was not to try and overthrow ADDForums, just learning/realizing as this discussion goes, how complicated upgrading old forums is)

M
tudorose (08-19-19)
Old 10-12-19, 01:52 PM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,437 Times in 6,133 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

I think another part of the problem is that this site is not mobile friendly. A lot of people use their mobile device for all internet access. I could see the forum on my cell phone however it was not cell phone user friendly.

I rarely came here because I did not use my larger desk top PC. I recently started a job that requires frequent internet access and is also not cell phone user friendly therefore a friend gave me her lap top so I could chart on my patients for work without needing a magnifying glass to see what was going on

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (10-12-19), mildadhd (11-30-19)
Old 10-12-19, 10:59 PM

Thanked 27,035 Times in 12,616 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
I think another part of the problem is that this site is not mobile friendly. A lot of people use their mobile device for all internet access. I could see the forum on my cell phone however it was not cell phone user friendly.

I rarely came here because I did not use my larger desk top PC. I recently started a job that requires frequent internet access and is also not cell phone user friendly therefore a friend gave me her lap top so I could chart on my patients for work without needing a magnifying glass to see what was going on
I don't know how people use their phones for everything. I just got a new
(used) all-in-one computer with a bigger screen and the first thing I did was
increase the size of everything from 100% to 125% so I can read stuff.
Getting old sucks.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 10-13-19, 07:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

benito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Getting old sucks.
Old 10-27-19, 11:05 AM

Alphawave is on a distinguished road

I've been making websites for nearly 15 years.

Not secure means the site does not have a security certificate. It doesn't really need one because you're not making payments or such like on this site. A certificate only costs around $100 to $200 per year. You need access to the back end to rename all url's from http: to https:. There are still many sites across the web that aren't secure.

Who gets the money for all the adverts, does anyone know? Is it this "David" person?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alphawave For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (10-27-19), mildadhd (11-30-19)