ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-02-05, 08:04 AM

drewmcg has disabled reputation
Adderall XR Dosage Questions

I read many of the posts and did not see much regarding results of Adderall XR dosage changes. If anyone is so inclined, I'd like to hear other peoples' experiences especially from those with similar backgrounds.

Background:

Male, 42, AD/HD (Inattentive), recently diagnosed, only other diagnose is Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) brought on by stress and anxiety, poor student through undergrad (did horrible on tests), excellent student in grad school (few tests, mostly papers), switched jobs frequently on my own (not due to being fired), "unhealthy lack of fear" that has hurt (up to early 20s, at the slightest provocation [e.g., being physically pushed, called a name, challenged to a fight] would start fight with no thought of outcome [i.e., usually lost]) and helped me, currently IT Director at large corporation, wife, three kids.

Doing family therapy with great psychologist. Many issues resulting from my undiagnosed AD/HD.

Previous medication history:

Buspar to treat anxiety and Zoloft for depression. Ineffective, bad side-effects. Now know that incorrect diagnosis.

Adderall XR doseage history:

Start 10 mg per day, every day -- immediate improvement with attention especially with reading and writing. Fidgeting gone. Anger response same. Family notices improvement. Reduced anxiety and depression.

Increase to 15 mg per day, every day -- continued improved attention, better anger response. Family notices improvement. Continued reduced anxiety and no depression.

Increase to 20 mg per day, every day -- no apparent change in attention (maybe a little less). A little fidgeting back. Better anger response. While continued better anger response, family perceives me to be more "grumpy" and "distant." However, I feel that with this dosage, I am realizing things that I hadn't before and am trying to deal with them including my personal relationships. Improved self-confidence. Better work and personal planning.

Questions:

Has anyone experienced less improvement with increased dosages?
Has anyone decreased their dosage and why?
Has anyone increased their dosage and why?

Thanks.
Old 04-02-05, 12:51 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

timh has a spectacular aura abouttimh has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmcg
Questions:

Has anyone experienced less improvement with increased dosages?
Has anyone decreased their dosage and why?
Has anyone increased their dosage and why?
Welcome to the forums fellow IT Geek.

I was also just diagnosed with ADHD (hyperactive). I am 33 years old and was in an IT management position at large corporation too. This is when I hit "The Wall". I decided to get back in the trenches, because I am a hands on person (like most people with ADD). I was lucky enough to find an open position within the company and report to a old manager I once had. I have my Cisco CCNP and feel I can really utilize it in this new role. Unlike in my management role.

On to the questions :

I was on both Strattera 80mg and Adderall XR 10mg. Seemed like a great combination. Everthing seemed to flow. I stopped taking the Strattera and upped my Adderall XR to 15-20mg in the morning and 5-10mg in the afternoon. Boy did I notice a difference. I just felt out there. Like everthing was going in slow motion. I took 10mg this morning and will take 5mg this afternoon to see if this helps. So far, so good.

- "Tim's incessant talking is wearing on all of us." (comment on 4th grade report card)

Cocktail : Adderall XR (10mg AM), Lexapro (10mg), Strattera (40mg AM/40mg PM)