ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-03, 04:09 PM
Forum Guru

smooch has disabled reputation
Tacy - Houston

Greetings All~

Pretty darn proud of myself for not procrastinating anymore and finally introducing myself!

My name is Tacy (not TRacy--the uniqueness of my name matches the uniqueness of me!!!), and I was diagnosed at 28 (inattentive type), but I made the mistake of not making any effort at learning about ADHD until I was 30. My "holy-cow!-it's-tremendously-important-to-learn-as-much-as-I-can-about-my-ADHD" epiphany came when I was 30: in the midst of stewing over a foul relationship, I ran across that relationship book by Halverstadt in B&N. Spent the next FOUR HOURS (really!) camped on the floor of that bookstore's psych section reading through every ADHD book they had--bought several of them, too!

I'm 32 now, currently working in a FOUL job at a law firm. Previously I taught for six years--three years with fourth grade, three with middle schoolers. I went to work at a law firm because I had a brainfart about wanting to be a lawyer--no offense if any of you are in law school or are already attorneys. It's just that I learned a law practice is NOT my cup o' tea, but if it's yours, cool and drink on! Seems like three years is my limit: this September 11 will be my three-year anniversary at this job, and I'm about to come unglued--TOTALLY the worst job for me!

But the good news is I am putting the wheels in motion to change careers and do something about which I am very passionate: I want to teach the public about adult ADHD, as in public speaking and all that glorious being-in-the-spotlight stuff! I'm even mulling over an outline for a book.... I acknowledge that this spotlight stuff is more than a few months--years possibly?-- into the future, but I have quite a few irons in the fire that will move me ever closer to my goal.

I want all of you to know that I feel truly, truly blessed to have run across this forum during my research on ADHD (I surf pretty much all freakin' day at this less-than-engaging job). I am looking forward to meeting each ADDer in this community--my kindered spirits--and tossing in my two cents!

....ok, I'm thinkin' one of my favorite keys on the keyboard is the hyphen....heh heh

Blessings to you all!
Old 07-10-03, 05:34 PM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
Hi TACY (not Tracy): Welcome to Forums....you sound cool And your nickname is "Smooch"....Do you like to kiss men? (I do!).
Anyway, good for you for going after your dreams....Incidentally, September 11 (of all dates) is your anniversary date for a job you don't like? Hmmmmm....sounds like a sign to me.... Anyway, you will get lots of support here....

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)

Last edited by joanrdtobe; 07-10-03 at 06:22 PM..
Old 07-10-03, 06:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
Now Joan....stop that...lol...You'll scare the girl away

Welcome Tacy !!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-03, 06:21 PM
Favorite "Aunt Joan" to Little Jessica

joanrdtobe will become famous soon enough
Sorry, Paula....Sorry Tacy...Don't mean to scare you....

"If you change the way you look at things -- the things you look at change"

Dr. Wayne Dyer (The Power of Intention)
Old 07-10-03, 11:54 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,073 Times in 579 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the ADD Forums, Tacy

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 07-11-03, 04:30 AM
ADDvanced Member

sarasmyl24 is on a distinguished road
Hey Tacy,
I'm new to this ADD Forum also and so far I've been having a good time. I use to make fun of people who chatted on line (like my mom) but now I see how great it can be and how comforting at times or even informative.
Brief info about myself, first off I love writers! I have many friends in my life that are writers and they are the funnest to talk with. Very intellectual and bent a little, I love it. I can't spell sometimes. I'm 26, engaged to the father of my 2 little girls, Daphny and Molly, 5 and 11 months. I work with children with Autism and I love my job. I love to teach myself new things, philosophize in my head, discuss things with people if they use their brain. I can draw and paint pretty well and I love Music and Movies. I am inattentive also, that mixed focused, prone to over focusing type but can go to both extremes. Stimulated by intelligent thinkers or self educating, I get goose bumps from really great music or incredible movies. Don't get me wrong though, I love to go out and tear it up but what else I have to deal with is that without the proper Med. I rely on the enviroment for stimulation. I can't seek it out myself when I'm stuck in that hole. I become "paralized by boredom".
I LOVE THE OCEAN!!!
If you have a hard time reading this please blame it on the fact that it is 1:30am and I've been typing for hours. I think I should go to sleep now. Please let me know more about yourself and your book when you get a chance.

my quote so I can be cool like everyone else---

"Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself."
Old 07-11-03, 03:25 PM
Forum Guru

Hee hee! No, that's not where "smooch" came from, although I admit I am fond of smooches with men. That name comes from my teaching days when my little "gang" of four started calling each other "smoochiebutt," "smooch," "smoochie-B," etc. We still use those names to this day.

Thank y'all for the warm welcome--I don't scare THAT easily.
Old 07-11-03, 05:50 PM
Forum Guru

Sara~

Very intellectual, yet bent a little—yep, I would say that describes me! I too love to philosophize and have deep, intelligent conversations…but I've also been known on numerous occasions to discuss with my buddies the virtues of a good, r-r-r-r-r-ripping belch, as well other similarly mesmerizing topics.

In a perfect world, I would be paid to learn about everything there is to learn about—seems we have a lot in common, Sara. Your words, "Stimulated by intelligent thinkers or self educating, I get goose bumps from really great music or incredible movies…." could have come out of my own mouth verbatim! Very cool….

Now that we're beginning to "meet" each other and the other forum members, I'm sure we can have plenty of stimulating conversations that will help fight that nasty, funkified paralysis from boredom.

Once my book ideas become more cohesive I'll definitely bounce them off of ya. Right now, they're just a wee bit all over everywhere.
Old 07-11-03, 06:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Garry has disabled reputation
Welcome to the Forums Tacy (not Tracie)

Grin you know thats going to stick with you

I am in the process of doing the same thing in Canada by working with the LONDON Learning Disabillities Centre I have put together a plan to "Bring The Knowlege of ADDult ADD to the Public"

I would be interested in hearing your ideas as time goes on

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Old 07-11-03, 06:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

sarasmyl24 is on a distinguished road
Hey Tacy,

Yeah, I guess I forgot to leave out that part about my funny side.

I love to laugh, one of my favorite things in life, as most. My

boyfriend is probably the funniest person I ever met. Funny

movies are the best. I've been told that my humor was deadpan

before.(I have no idea how to spell that) But I think I'm silly. I like

my generation of comedy because it's so out in left field.

I really wouldn't trade all of the riches in the world for having a

personality lacking humor.

here I go again. I need to learn to make things short.
Old 07-12-03, 03:05 PM

momoftoddlers is on a distinguished road
Hi Tacy, very unique name.. love it!! Anyway, my name is Janet. Mother of two, feeling misguided by my job.

The past couple of years I have been mulling over "What I want to be when I grow up" Even though I'm already grown up.. just part of me doesn't want to admit it. LOL

Anyway- I just recently was diagnosed. Unlike you- I wasn't glued to the chair at B&N, I was glued to my computer chair visiting as many ADD sites as I could.

I've always blamed myself for not getting as far as I could in my life by this time being 26 & having a husband & 2 kids. I'm not the socialite that I seem to be online in the posts.. I'm actually very shy unless someone takes a particular interest in me- then I wonder if I should stop talking because the person I'm talking to probably thinks I'm a complete moron! LOL

Well, as far as my stuff... I dunno. I'm trying to do the best I can given the resources that I have. I've gotten involved in a support group in my area & still am looking forward to reading a book about ADD.

I actually talked to my aunt, who when I told her about my symptoms, she compared them to herself & feels that she may be ADD also..

I'm looking at changing my job- but that's not right now. I have to go through some vocational program here to find out what I need to do, or if I even qualify. I'm hopeful that I will because I really need to do something. With the economy being the way it is & with employers wanting only people with certain qualifications and most of the time me not having those qualifications- I feel like I'm always going to be stuck at this company & the thought really doesn't thrill me.

Well, my thought is, I want to learn as much about everything that I can about almost everything! I want to challenge myself with my ADD- I want to organize, prioritize, make lists, not procrastinate, stay on task... Now, where's my cup of motivation??? Hahah!

Well, we're all here for a reason.. to appreciate that we're not alone. And believe me- there are plenty of others who most likely feel the same way I do.

Bless all of you!
Thanks for not procrastinating anymore Tacy! It's great to meet you!

Janet