ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Meditation and Spirituality
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-17, 08:09 AM

airman is on a distinguished road
How do the monks meditate on pain?

I saw in the news a buddhist monk that burned himself because he was protesting and just sat there burning until he was dead. He did not move or scream. Then a different guy I saw online was only set aflame a tiny bit with only 15% of his body and was running around screaming.

So how do the monks do this? Anything you can think of please such as how to think like a monk and how to meditate and have certain thoughts to reduce pain? Anything would be of great help as I have cancer and would love to practice your advice.

Thank You very much.
Old 10-27-17, 08:33 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,132 Times in 13,884 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do the monks meditate on pain?

I'm sorry about your cancer and that you have to endure pain.

I don't know how monks do it but I remember anacwiaontamve once told me after visiting an ashram (spiritual learning and meditation centre) that he was told that one way to deal wlthlainis to just acknowledge it but without attaching anything else to it.so feel the pain, but try to feel it objectively like a curious bystander without wishing it away or attaching any judgement to it. I've tried it and ice found that really difficult.

Personally what helps me is something I learnt in my pregnancy yoga class. When you are in pain focus on your breathing. Deep mindful breaths. A lot of people have a tendency to hold their breath when in pain but that actually makes it worse.

It worked like a charm when I was in labour and it made the contractions quite bearable bbut ive found it also helps me otherwise when I'm in pain, especially acute pain.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-27-17), Kunga Dorji (05-21-18)
Old 12-10-17, 01:10 AM
Jr Member

MartinB is on a distinguished road

I can recommend the book Mindfulness in Plain English. It's available for free here:

https://www.wisdompubs.org/sites/def...%20Preview.pdf

I would recommend you to read the entire book, but the part about pain starts on page 94.

Last edited by midnightstar; 12-12-17 at 02:54 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinB For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (12-10-17), Kunga Dorji (05-21-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-17, 05:58 AM

Thanked 6,477 Times in 3,092 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Pain is in the brain. The monks use meditation to create harmony within their own minds. If they meditate well enough, they can actually block out the pain signals.

If you've ever hurt yourself doing something and you're just sitting there thinking about it, then it's going to hurt a whole lot more. If you keep your mind fully occupied on other things, you'll soon forget all about it.
Old 05-21-18, 09:47 AM

Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,896 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by airman View Post
I saw in the news a buddhist monk that burned himself because he was protesting and just sat there burning until he was dead. He did not move or scream. Then a different guy I saw online was only set aflame a tiny bit with only 15% of his body and was running around screaming.

So how do the monks do this? Anything you can think of please such as how to think like a monk and how to meditate and have certain thoughts to reduce pain? Anything would be of great help as I have cancer and would love to practice your advice.

Thank You very much.

Ive only encountered the answer to the Buddhist monk question in the last 2 weeks. Ive been wondering for the last 50 years.

Ken Wilbur discusses it, and names the technique in this interview below between 10:30 and 16:00 or so. Apparently they totally withdraw conscious attention from the body. An advanced technique I guess.

Ive had severe back/neck pain issues over years, and the best technique that I have been skilled enough to do is to learn to identify with the consciousness that is observing my body, and pay attention to that, and to the process of my consciousness looking past the pain and at the outside world instead. Its a bit like driving with a dirty windscreen, which is often easier if you focus 100 metres ahead instead of at the windscreen. It still acknowledges the pain- which is important as pain is usually giving info about what is required to protect your body.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 05-21-18, 07:51 PM

Thanked 4,980 Times in 2,158 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

I met a kung fu master who used his training methods so survive being run over by a double decker bus. Unfortunately he has moved back to either Singapore or Malaysia. I'll see if I can find his book on cancer and post the link here.
Old 05-21-18, 07:53 PM

Thanked 4,980 Times in 2,158 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Got it

http://www.chidynamics-qigong.com/fi...roduction.html
Kunga Dorji (05-23-18)
Old 05-23-18, 12:45 AM

Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,896 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

That looks interesting. Trust I will never need it

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
tudorose (05-25-18)