ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-20, 06:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,159 Times in 696 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Brain Fog

What is brain fog
Little Missy (02-10-20)
Old 02-10-20, 07:23 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,908 Times in 8,024 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brain Fog

Brain fog is basically a cognitive dysfunction.

Quote:
What is brain fog?
Brain fog isn't a medical condition itself, but rather a symptom of other medical conditions. It’s a type of cognitive dysfunction involving:

memory problems
lack of mental clarity
poor concentration
inability to focus

Some people also describe it as mental fatigue. Depending on the severity of brain fog, it can interfere with work or school.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (02-10-20), Little Missy (02-10-20), namazu (02-10-20)
Old 02-10-20, 07:29 PM

Thanked 23,058 Times in 12,329 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to explain it but I'm blank with brain fog.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (02-10-20), Greyhound1 (02-10-20), TheDreamer (02-11-20)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-20, 10:43 PM

Thanked 4,291 Times in 2,202 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

For me, it feels like how my brain functions when I'm half asleep. Except I'm not sleepy. And not always to that extreme but like a light version of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
TheDreamer (02-11-20)
Old 02-11-20, 02:54 AM

Thanked 6,349 Times in 3,003 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
Brain fog is basically a cognitive dysfunction.
I see it as more of an impairment of alertness

The real trouble is that the term is used very widely, by different groups, and that when we have it, we are by virtue of its presence, in no state to take notes.

One cause that is certainly relevant to ADHD is the question of uneven hemispheric activation.

One way of tackling that is through Infraorbital Trigeminal Nerve Stimulation
( a low power electrical stimulation)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...New+Hypothesis

Trigeminal, Visceral and Vestibular Inputs May Improve Cognitive Functions by Acting through the Locus Coeruleus and the Ascending Reticular Activating System: A New Hypothesis

Quote:
ITS was also tested in adult patients affected by fibromyalgia, a pain syndrome associated with neurological deficits in intracortical modulation as well as in young people affected by attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, a condition characterized by abnormal levels of inattention and/or hyperactivity/impulsivity. In the former case, TNS can improve pain and depressive symptoms ([COLOR=rgb(30.000000%, 30.000000%, 30.000000%)]Shiozawa et al., 2014[/color]), while in the second it ameliorates attention, mood and sleep quality

Really it is not a new hypothesis the key research has been building over more than a decade.

However- brain fog- a sense of dullness and lack of clarity, can certainly be induced by asymmetry of hemispheric activity.
One of the classic causes of such asymmetry is the postural asymmetries caused by unmanaged upper cervical subluxations.

Another common cause of brain fog is chronic neck and back pain.
This is believed to come about by excessive sympathetic activity in the painful area of the neck, spreading up the carotid artery and constricting the middle cerebral artery:
CEREBRAL PERFUSION IN PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC NECK AND UPPER BACK PAIN: PRELIMINARY OBSERVATIONS
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...Y+OBSERVATIONS

The full study correlates patient self reports of neck pain and disability and finds a very strong correlation with perfusion defects in the Middle Cerebral Artery territory demonstrated on SPECT scan.

This one interests me greatly as I have many foggy episodes that will not respond to stimulants, and I also had a high Neck Disability Index and in 2008 had a cerebral SPECT scan that was identical to the results these researchers were documenting.

Ive been able to find a way to turn off this cycle of pain/spasm/ sympathetic activity using a TENS over the right spot in the neck- and I am clear now that it turns off the brain fog very quickly- just as it relieves the pain and, it would seem, the poor blood flow problem.

However- the subjective effect is of fog, and it responds promptly to the treatment which is undermining the presumed mechanism.

The sort of brain fog which is just endless chatter probably represents a failure of inhibition- but it will come down to blood flow in the brain, or mismatch between the operating speeds of the 2 hemispheres (to put it crudely).

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-11-20)
Old 02-11-20, 09:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

Monox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura aboutMonox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura about

Ah, brain fog... I often experienced it at work... Thankfully, my coworkers are understanding, since the males here tend to go blank, including the higher-ups... It's the female coworkers who are judgemental...