ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 02-12-20, 06:44 PM

abbie.bbg is on a distinguished road
Smile peopleís reaction to symptoms

hi all,
i was just wondering how have you found people reacting to your symptoms/ do they mistake things for symptoms?
sometimes, when iím in a good mood or iíve had a good nights rest and have i bit of energy, people just think itís my symptoms.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abbie.bbg For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-23-20), Emre22 (02-12-20), namazu (02-12-20)
Old 02-12-20, 07:26 PM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all
Re: peopleís reaction to symptoms

when i interrupt people while they are talking sometimes they take it personally or they think that i act like "i know everything better than you"
i can't blame them but i inform them about ADHD
The Following User Says Thank You to Emre22 For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-25-20)
Old 02-25-20, 02:12 AM

ADaptHD has a spectacular aura aboutADaptHD has a spectacular aura about

A big one for me is when people interpret your symptoms through the lens of what it's like to not have ADHD -- that is, what it would mean for them, as a non-ADHDer, to have those behaviors.

So they see some inattentive mistake, lack of organization, motivational issues, etc. and think "if I did that it would be because I just didn't care... that person really must not care." That's where a lot of the "try harder" comments come from I think.
Emre22 (02-25-20), Lunacie (03-23-20), namazu (02-25-20)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-20, 11:53 PM
Contributor

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I just don't want anyone to suggest...if you'd attend certain meetings like I do, it will help you. Or if you'd get "saved", you would have all the answers to all your problems. This from people who don't even bother to get to know me well enough to know what my problems really are. I don't even remember a time in my life when I felt like I knew what it's like to be a non-ADHD person. I've wondered what it would be like, but there is no way to really experience that. So I'm not surprised when most people don't know what it would be like to be me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (02-26-20), Greyhound1 (02-26-20), Little Missy (02-26-20), Lunacie (03-23-20)
Old 02-26-20, 12:41 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,909 Times in 8,024 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBV View Post
I don't even remember a time in my life when I felt like I knew what it's like to be a non-ADHD person. So I'm not surprised when most people don't know what it would be like to be me.
Me neither. I canít even understand and figure myself out, I certainly canít expect others to. Iím glad to be at a point in my life where I no longer care. Iím just trying to be me and to be happy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (02-26-20), Little Missy (02-26-20)
Old 02-28-20, 03:06 AM
ADDvanced Member

Monox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura aboutMonox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbie.bbg View Post
hi all,
i was just wondering how have you found people reacting to your symptoms/ do they mistake things for symptoms?
sometimes, when iím in a good mood or iíve had a good nights rest and have i bit of energy, people just think itís my symptoms.

Sometimes when I acted out of the "standard" behavior, people would say "Aren't you normal?". Once a coworker of mine asked "Are you an autist?". One simple "Probably" from me was enough to shut him up.
Lunacie (03-23-20)
Old 03-23-20, 05:04 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all20thcenturyfox is a name known to all
Different Strokes...

I don't tell anyone but my closest friends I have ADHD. I think people are way too eager to use labels to cover their ignorance or just puff themselves up, so there is no way I am going to just hand them a label (especially a controversial one) to put on me.

I do readily admit to sometimes having trouble focusing, sometimes being impulsive, sometimes being distracted, sometimes being short of energy. And I apologize sincerely when I screw up (as I often do), because I really want to be reliable, someone people can depend on. I also ask for reminders & e-mails (rather than phone calls). I really sympathize with people when I let them down. I don't want to be like that. I actually want to take extra trouble to be as solid and normal as I possibly can. I also let people know I appreciate their understanding when they forgive me (even though I know they probably don't understand).

I salute those who want to educate people about ADHD. I sometimes express doubt about the stupidity I hear.

But give ignorant people--whose opinions truly do not matter!-- a label to put on me to cover their own lack of interest and empathy? No way!