ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-19-19, 04:00 PM

troyston is on a distinguished road
Adderall and Exercise Safety

Hey guys,

I pretty recently was prescribed Adderall for my ADHD-I that I've known about for years. I generally stay pretty active as far as running and lifting and such, and usually I try and lift or go for a run when I get a break from school or work or homework or whatever I'm doing. Now that I'm on the Adderall, I've been avoiding running since I started taking it because I don't want to do anything dangerous for my heart or long term health, but I still want to keep in good running shape. Any advice or studies anyone knows about that might give me some direction?

TL;DR: Is running/cardio activity safe while taking Adderall?
The Following User Says Thank You to troyston For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-21-19)
Old 05-19-19, 05:44 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,275 Times in 10,735 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall and Exercise Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyston View Post
TL;DR: Is running/cardio activity safe while taking Adderall?
Generally, yes.

If you've had a full physical prior to being prescribed the medication and don't have pre-existing heart or blood-pressure issues, then it's generally considered safe to exercise while taking prescribed stimulants.

Be sure to stay adequately hydrated.

If you develop chest pains, shortness of breath, high blood pressure, or other problems while exercising, stop and contact a medical professional ASAP.

Some people have observed that stimulants affect their performance (for better or for worse), and some choose to exercise before taking the medication or after it wears off for the day.

Happy working-out!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-21-19), aeon (05-19-19), Greyhound1 (05-19-19), troyston (05-19-19)
Old 05-19-19, 08:58 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,102 Times in 7,733 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

With Adderall, I would also avoid taking or be very careful with most pre-workout supplements. Most contain some very potent nootropic and or herbal stimulants.

Protein shakes for pre or post-workout are generally fine though.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-21-19), aeon (05-19-19), namazu (05-19-19), troyston (05-24-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-19, 02:45 AM
Jr Member

Clavius78 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
With Adderall, I would also avoid taking or be very careful with most pre-workout supplements. Most contain some very potent nootropic and or herbal stimulants.
True, but on the other hand. L-Citruline counteracts the vasoconstrictive properties of adderall more then adequately.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clavius78 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-21-19), troyston (05-24-19)
Old 05-20-19, 02:49 AM
Jr Member

Clavius78 is on a distinguished road

I stopped doing cardio altogether, because it just doesn't feel good anymore while on adderall. No chest pains or anything, only my heart pounds really hard. Lifting still feels good, or possibly even better. More power/pump. Could the adderall be helping? I like what I see happening in the mirror.
The Following User Says Thank You to Clavius78 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-21-19)