ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-19, 06:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,816 Times in 14,172 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Need to lose 4kg in one month

I've stopped added sugar and I'm ramping up my exercise. I've also stopped my post-dinner dinner. Yes I usually have two meals in the evening.

It's hard. I keep wanting to have cookies for just ONE MORE DAY but I keep reminding myself that I've only got one month. Surprisingly so far I haven't slipped. I know I'm not doing enough to actually lose 4kg but considering that this is week one, my biggest goal is to break the sugar addiction.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (11-28-19), namazu (11-29-19), someothertime (12-04-19)
Old 11-28-19, 08:37 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light
What's the Rush?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I've stopped added sugar and I'm ramping up my exercise. I've also stopped my post-dinner dinner. Yes I usually have two meals in the evening.

It's hard. I keep wanting to have cookies for just ONE MORE DAY but I keep reminding myself that I've only got one month. Surprisingly so far I haven't slipped. I know I'm not doing enough to actually lose 4kg but considering that this is week one, my biggest goal is to break the sugar addiction.
These all sound like great steps to be taking at any time...and if you are successfully staring down the after dinner munchies you have my heart-felt congratulations and encouragement.

In the long run, changes like these can only do you good. But 4 kg in 4 weeks is pretty close to a crash diet--doable under optimal conditions with planning, preparation, focus & support. And sleep...did you know sleep deprivation actually inhibits weight loss? https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-...ep-weight-gain

Now I could be out of date here, but haven't you also recently posted you are off meds, sleeping poorly, burning out at work, maybe with a few financial worries, under even more stress from your visiting parents and their incompatible childrearing ideas, all on top of the "usual" stress of being the working mother of a toddler?

So this not only doesn't seem "optimal" for weight loss, it seems like a bloody lot of pressure. Are you sure this is a good time? Are you sure this is the top priority? Are you sure this won't be "the straw that breaks the camel's back?"

You have a lot of people depending on you, Fuzzy, so who is looking out for you?

Last edited by 20thcenturyfox; 11-28-19 at 08:49 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-29-19), namazu (11-29-19), stef (11-30-19)
Old 11-29-19, 03:22 AM
Contributor

SashaBV will become famous soon enough
Re: Need to lose 4kg in one month

Yeah, there should be one-day-at-a-time programs to help people give up sugar and carbs as far as they can without getting unhealthy side effects from it. As far as sugars, I've heard that we should only taking 4 tsp. of sugar a day including what comes in food. Does that sound right? Or did I mix it up? Even I haven't gone that far! And I've lost quite a bit this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-29-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-19, 07:21 AM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What's the Rush?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thcenturyfox View Post
These all sound like great steps to be taking at any time...and if you are successfully staring down the after dinner munchies you have my heart-felt congratulations and encouragement.

In the long run, changes like these can only do you good. But 4 kg in 4 weeks is pretty close to a crash diet--doable under optimal conditions with planning, preparation, focus & support. And sleep...did you know sleep deprivation actually inhibits weight loss? https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-...ep-weight-gain

Now I could be out of date here, but haven't you also recently posted you are off meds, sleeping poorly, burning out at work, maybe with a few financial worries, under even more stress from your visiting parents and their incompatible childrearing ideas, all on top of the "usual" stress of being the working mother of a toddler?

So this not only doesn't seem "optimal" for weight loss, it seems like a bloody lot of pressure. Are you sure this is a good time? Are you sure this is the top priority? Are you sure this won't be "the straw that breaks the camel's back?"

You have a lot of people depending on you, Fuzzy, so who is looking out for you?
I know it's ambitious and it's not a hard goal really. I'm not going to crash diet. I've done that till my late twenties and it's always messed me up big time. Strangely enough the fact that it is quite ambitious so far (about 5 days) has had a motivating effect on me. So when I really want that cookie then I remind myself that one month is very little time to lose 4kg so I don't have time (or calories)to waste.

Without crash dieting I'm not exercising enough to have a huge impact but this is where I'd like to do better. Not so much to lose weight but just to he fitter and because exercise helps hugely with my mood.

Yes, you remember well and thank you for remembering. I am off meds (but in the oaychiatriats's waiting room as I am writingg this so hopefully for not much longer) and it's causing huge stress at work. The situation with my parents has improved. Maybe my mum.had become less confrontational (or maybe I have). I guess I've realised that I don't have to.police Everyone who interacts with fuzzling and maybe my mum has made a positive inpaxt on fuzzling after all. At least fuzzling seems to be doing well at the moment. If my mum says anything that I find inappropriate then I deal with it the way I would with another child. I talk to fuzzling about it and discuss it.

Besides that my parents are a huge help. They do.all the cooking and most of the cleaning. I'm happy about the cooking but I definitely don't want them to work so hard at their age.it is a huge help though and it means I can go to bed earlier of even do other stuff . I've actually asked them to stay a month longer...

You are right. I need to sleep more and I definitely need to drink more. I don't know why I find it so hard to just pick up a bottleti drink some water. I tried to avoid drinking sparkling water for a while but that meant that apart form tea I didn't drink anything at all. So I've started buying bottles of sparking water again (sorry environment).

It's not the top priority but it's my personal top priority in my free time. Something like that. It is hugely important though for reasons I don't want to go into right now.

Thanks for the inputs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (11-29-19), namazu (11-29-19), stef (11-30-19)
Old 11-29-19, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBV View Post
Yeah, there should be one-day-at-a-time programs to help people give up sugar and carbs as far as they can without getting unhealthy side effects from it. As far as sugars, I've heard that we should only taking 4 tsp. of sugar a day including what comes in food. Does that sound right? Or did I mix it up? Even I haven't gone that far! And I've lost quite a bit this year.
Yup I think it's something like that. I try to avoid anything with obviously added sugar (so I still have fruits) but I don't check labels thoroughly and sometimes I ignore them. For
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
stef (11-30-19)
Old 11-29-19, 03:02 PM

Thanked 4,188 Times in 2,163 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

I'm glad you are getting back on the meds Fuzz.

I heard 1 lb (which is like 0.4 kg) is considered ok though maybe I'm wrong. Still, if you cut carbs, a lot of times the first couple weeks, a lot of the weight lost is water weight so it can actually be quite a big jump during the first month though the second month should probably be less.

Sounds like you aren't crash dieting anyway so that's good.

Hope it works out. I've actually been on a low carb diet for sometime because I was prediabetic. Problem is, I've been helping to babysit my sisters kids more and I always eat a ton of carbs at her place cause she has nothing good to eat otherwise and I always forget to bring something (plus the carb stuff she has are often desserts which are hard to avoid when they are in the house. I don't have any desserts in my house at all barring low carb ice cream and these truffles which I can manage to eat only 1 a day on the days that I do eat them).

I'm now back to prediabetic again so got to figure out a solution to this. Real tough cause I'm actually of normal weight. My inherited genes just suck I guess to have a normal weight and still prediabetes .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (12-03-19), Fuzzy12 (11-29-19)
Old 11-29-19, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
I'm glad you are getting back on the meds Fuzz.

I heard 1 lb (which is like 0.4 kg) is considered ok though maybe I'm wrong. Still, if you cut carbs, a lot of times the first couple weeks, a lot of the weight lost is water weight so it can actually be quite a big jump during the first month though the second month should probably be less.

Sounds like you aren't crash dieting anyway so that's good.

Hope it works out. I've actually been on a low carb diet for sometime because I was prediabetic. Problem is, I've been helping to babysit my sisters kids more and I always eat a ton of carbs at her place cause she has nothing good to eat otherwise and I always forget to bring something (plus the carb stuff she has are often desserts which are hard to avoid when they are in the house. I don't have any desserts in my house at all barring low carb ice cream and these truffles which I can manage to eat only 1 a day on the days that I do eat them).

I'm now back to prediabetic again so got to figure out a solution to this. Real tough cause I'm actually of normal weight. My inherited genes just suck I guess to have a normal weight and still prediabetes .
Im sorry to hear that you are prediabetic. That must be difficult especially when you are at a healthy weight already. So does it require mainly a change of diet?

I hear you on having sweets in your vicinity. It's so hard. How much will power at ryou suppose dto have all the time?? I've got no will power so I can't keep any sweets at home. It's always hard the second half of the year because mil gets a suitcase full of sweets and my parents are continuously eating sweets and keeping them in the kitchen. Once I start eating their sweets I the crave cookies and chocolates at work.

baby sitting is tiring. I can imagine that you might need a bit of sugar to get through that.

Diabetes is actually something I worry about because of my huge sugar consumption over the last three years. Not just carbs but pure sugar (Inthe form of sweetsz chocolates, desserts, etc.)

Even when I cut out added sugar my diet is mostly carb based. Bread, rice and pasta. I don't have much of protein. I can eat huge amounts of carbs though. I try to have mostly complex carbs but still... I'm trying to eat more of eggs and beans but I forget...

Yes, the general advice seems to be to aim for 1 pound a week and I guess with the little change in diet and the little exercise I do I can't hope for more. Uggh
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (12-03-19)
Old Today, 12:08 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light
If You Can Buy or Borrow a Body Composition Scale, You Can Learn a Lot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
... Still, if you cut carbs, a lot of times the first couple weeks, a lot of the weight lost is water weight so it can actually be quite a big jump during the first month though the second month should probably be less.

...I'm now back to prediabetic again so got to figure out a solution to this. Real tough cause I'm actually of normal weight. My inherited genes just suck I guess to have a normal weight and still prediabetes .
I've never gone on an ultra-low-carb diet for more than a few days. But when I did (this was only after ramping up sleep, probiotics, and exercise, plus it was combined with 12-16 hour fasts), the weight I lost was almost pure fat.

If I hadn't had the body-composition scale, I might have assumed what I was losing was water, especially because I do make an effort to drink plenty of water anyway. And also because it apparently is normal when losing weight to lose up to 30% lean mass along with the fat (since muscle holds much more water than fat). But, no, it was fat according to the scale. And since I was attempting to build muscle whilst losing weight, I went on to lose 12 pounds of weight (incl 22 pounds of fat!) in 6 weeks last year. (I posted the whole program I followed in another thread.) But yes, it took a superhuman effort to lose a much smaller amount of fat on the same program this year.

Also, although I am not prediabetic, I strongly suspect I am insulin-resistant, so because insulin tends to overreact to food/carbs in the evening, fasting or cutting carbs in the evening is disproportionately effective. Because of my experience with this scale, I think it's probably worth experimenting with cutting out evening snacking completely, cutting carbs (or at least loading your healthy carbs into the morning) and extending your fasts to see if you can get more results for your dieting effort.