ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-18, 09:26 PM

bull1088 is on a distinguished road
Prescribed Quanfacine today with m vyvanse

Hello everyone, this is my first post
I have been taking vyvanse 40mg for the past 6 to 8 months. I have been having anxiety and just restless when I need to complete things for school. College is difficult and just finding out I have ADHD 2 years ago in college was difficult. Didn't have my adolescent years to figure out the right doses and meds. I was prescribed 1mg of Quanfacine today and was told to take it in the evening. Im up till around midnight every night or later each night. Do you take it at 7 or 8pm. Or do you take it right before bed? I want to get the most out of this medication now that I am taking it. Thank you for the help!
Old 03-21-18, 12:47 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Prescribed Quanfacine today with m vyvanse

Is the guanfacine immediate release or extended release? I only have experience with the extended release version. The med guide explained that it can be taken either in the morning or at night. Some people might experience sedation as a side effect, so taking it at night might be better for you if you have issues with insomnia. That being said, I personally never felt sleepy from the guanfacine, and my doctor said that guanfacine generally isn't a strong sleep aid.

Guanfacine is not a stimulant, so it needs a few weeks to build in your system before it helps with ADHD. Your doctor will probably slowly increase your dose during this time. Vyvanse is a stimulant that works right away - maybe your doctor can let you try different doses of Vyvanse.