ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-13-18, 08:36 AM

BrandyM is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Insurance Nightmare and Which Generic

I am in Seattle, WA. Because of insurance, I will have to ditch dextroamphetamine and go back to adderall. Obamacare gave me Regence Silver but now premium is up to $300 with $350 subsidized, and Regence pulled out of the market and only Premera, which does not cover neither adderall nor dex. So I winded up in this situation with no insurance.

I used to have great result with core pharma but reading this forum, I found out they are no longer being made. I had OK response to Teva, kind a weak, which Walgreen carries but my WA state discount card doesn't cover it.

Anyone who used to take Core Pharma and found good alternative, will you let me know what the brand name is? I called like 5 pharmacies and all the brand they carry, I've never heard of before and they can't pronounce correctly. I am confused and fearful of next month, the end of dextroamphetamine aka dexedrin.

PS
I went into pharmacy in person and asked around, ask them to write the name down. All the manjor chain carries Aurobindo. WTF is Aurobindo? That sounds like some kind of constipation medication.

Please recommend me a brand.

Help.

PPS

Sandos still any good? Is it available in Seattle Area? I need core pharma and need to get jacked up to get my focus and not being paralyzed by fear and anxiety.
Old 01-13-18, 12:36 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,353 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of
Re: Insurance Nightmare and Which Generic

Hi Brandy, Sorry I can't help with your request directly for preferred Adderall generics. I do have a related comment. Before I switched from a med that worked, I would double and even triple check myself to confirm that the change is needed. You may have done this already, and if you have pls disregard. I would go to my insurer's website and find and download the drug formulary for the specific insuarance I have. Then I would find Dextroamphetamine sulfate IR, Spansule (maybe called ER), and Vyvanse and find out what limitations they have on each. (May be the quantity limited, or a higher tier/cost, maybe a special approval, or it may be Not Covered.) Cost is your control. Quantity Limits may be easy to address individually. If it is a prior approval issue I would search their website to see what is required to get approval and any written procedures or forms needed. If Not Covered I would see what amphetamines they liked and in what form (IR, XR...) If I decided to try to push back, I would then involve my Doc's office staff for help/support. GL, -LN
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (01-13-18)
Old 01-15-18, 03:57 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,252 Times in 14,926 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
Hi Brandy, Sorry I can't help with your request directly for preferred Adderall generics. I do have a related comment. Before I switched from a med that worked, I would double and even triple check myself to confirm that the change is needed. You may have done this already, and if you have pls disregard. I would go to my insurer's website and find and download the drug formulary for the specific insuarance I have. Then I would find Dextroamphetamine sulfate IR, Spansule (maybe called ER), and Vyvanse and find out what limitations they have on each. (May be the quantity limited, or a higher tier/cost, maybe a special approval, or it may be Not Covered.) Cost is your control. Quantity Limits may be easy to address individually. If it is a prior approval issue I would search their website to see what is required to get approval and any written procedures or forms needed. If Not Covered I would see what amphetamines they liked and in what form (IR, XR...) If I decided to try to push back, I would then involve my Doc's office staff for help/support. GL, -LN
This is excellent advice. The responsibility is with us when it comes to figuring out what our insurance covers even though you would think otherwise. It could he a pa is needed, a quanity needs to be changed, I take 20mg adderall xr three times a day and a 20mg ir booster. My doct wanted me on all 20mg xr. The insurance woudnt cover it. They said is exceeded their quantity limit. Now why they would cover the same amount mg per mg is beyone me, and not cover it in xr pills. We tried 30mg xr and they wouldnt cover it more than once a days. No dose changes I just wanted to take the same dose but less pills per day.

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-18, 10:16 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

I'm really sorry to hear about your insurance problems. Just to clarify, since your new insurance doesn't cover any Adderall/Dexedrine, are you planning to pay out of pocket? Generic IR pills cost about $1/pill out of pocket, IME. Tip - the cost is mostly based on number of pills rather than the dose, and the pills are scored to allow splitting in half (or even quarters).

I've had a few different brands of generics for both Adderall and Dexedrine (including Aurobindo Adderall), and IME they all seem to work fine. Certainly, lots of other people have different experiences, but keep in mind that someone with a negative experience is much more likely to post about it than someone with a positive/neutral experience. Just my 2 cents!

If you decide that you won't accept Aurobindo, then you can ask your doctor to specify that on the script. The pharmacy would then not be legally allowed to fill it with Aurobindo (though they might just not fill it at all then).
Old 01-14-18, 11:37 AM
ADDvanced Member

Snoopy10 will become famous soon enough

I like Teva for Adderall IR. Many people don't but I'm just fine with it. I have no experience with the others. Do a search on Aurobindo though because I think people here either love or hate that one, I can't remember which.

Someone mentioned something called GoodRx which gives you coupons to pay out of pocket. If dex worked for you and you can pay out of pocket with a coupon, do that. It's worth getting the proper med.
Old 01-16-18, 11:09 AM
ADDvanced Member

diagoro is a jewel in the roughdiagoro is a jewel in the roughdiagoro is a jewel in the rough

If I recall, IR only comes in generic these days. I've personally had better luck with the Teva brand. The others were basically like taking a sugar pill, almost zero reaction.

It's a shame that doctors don't address this. My last PA was clueless when I brought up the differences between manufacturers, stating they were all the same. The pharmacy tried to say the same. Not sure if it's some tied to how pharmas advertise, etc, but it's a personal sign a doctor/PA isn't up to snuff. It truly is a huge, make or break issue.
Old 01-16-18, 04:06 PM
Contributor

wonderboy has a spectacular aura aboutwonderboy has a spectacular aura about

Even though your insurance says it will not cover it, you can appeal.

If your doctor will state that this medication is "medical necessary"
for you, chances are they will reconsider

In a court (which they -do not- want to go,) I think you would win

That is why on appeal most will approve